Sponsored

MT82 and MGW shifter value?

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Just putting this out there..

I have a 400mile MT82 Manual gearbox,stock clutchand flywheel and a brand new MGW shifter.

The T56 Magnum XL is something I’m interested in so the stock parts and MGW could all be for sale. Does anybody here know what that little package is worth?

Just juggling numbers..
Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Just putting this out there..

I have a 400mile MT82 Manual gearbox,stock clutchand flywheel and a brand new MGW shifter.

The T56 Magnum XL is something I’m interested in so the stock parts and MGW could all be for sale. Does anybody here know what that little package is worth?

Just juggling numbers..
Hi Nige
Im interested in the shifter. PM me with the price and the spec as to how length etc as i know there are a couple of different versions.

thanks
Nick

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Nige
Im interested in the shifter. PM me with the price and the spec as to how length etc as i know there are a couple of different versions.

thanks
Nick
Thanks for your interest.. I'll be in touch if I go through with the swap. You have first refusal. I think I paid about £500 with knob and lever? A few of us bought them in a group buy last year.

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a huge amount I wouldn't have thought for the box. Much like the OEM exhaust, the only reason to change is to upgrade so there's no market for the stock part.
When I read the horror stories about these boxes failing, I just think a new stock box will be worth "something"? But then, the failing boxes are all stateside and running big power??

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your interest.. I'll be in touch if I go through with the swap. You have first refusal. I think I paid about £500 with knob and lever? A few of us bought them in a group buy last year.
Many thanks. Out of interest where did you source a Magnum XL in the UK, or are you thinking about importing one?

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’ll be an import, so a civil servant customs officer somewhere will be rubbing his palms together right now waiting for my huge bill for import and vat!!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
When I read the horror stories about these boxes failing, I just think a new stock box will be worth "something"? But then, the failing boxes are all stateside and running big power??
Not heard of the stock boxes failing per-say more that at like 800+ Wheel horsepower the clutch gets a bit shaky. (But then again you're double the horses the car was built for!)

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MT 82 boxes are not very strong and are the weak link on the GT... apparently??

Stephanie at AM is on her third gearbox as she has a Helion kit. But then we consider Barrie’s car and he hasn’t even broken one box? I assume the blower doesn’t produce the massive torque rush that you get with a Turbo?

As you rightly say Manders, the stock box only appears to break on monster tunes, but You Tube would disagree??

Then we must consider, some say that the MT82 transmission has an awful linkage? So we uprated them with MGW/ Barton shifters and some say they’re still crap??
My Defender has an MT82, as do a lot of Transits, so we got a commercial box guys!!

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
If you raise the rev-limit, the clutch can be susceptible to lock out.

The sloppy change can be fixed with any number of aftermarket parts.

The box itself.... I have the impression its inherently reliable. If you start pushing 800bhp through it (with the associated torque increases), it shouldnt be too surprising if it has a failure.

FWIW: I def. think a used box with a good clutch has value. 500-600 maybe. Thats what I would pay if I needed one. Its a very specific thing to sell, then again anybody who needs one will probably be desperate.

Id stick up a FS here on the forum, and just wait for the right fish to bite.

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
MT 82 boxes are not very strong and are the weak link on the GT... apparently??

Stephanie at AM is on her third gearbox as she has a Helion kit. But then we consider Barrie’s car and he hasn’t even broken one box? I assume the blower doesn’t produce the massive torque rush that you get with a Turbo?
Says it all; as prior, it's only going on these cars with huge numbers, and if you can't drive; no discredit to Stephanie, but hasn't she spannered her shafts too trying to launch too hard on the strip?

I think honestly, without knowing your "final gains" with the car (are you planning on supercharging, twin turbos etc-ing your car?) we can't tell you whether or not it's worth changing, commercial transmission or not, it's almost bulletproof (one twit with enough dollar can break anything mind you), the clutch/flywheel is the weaker element of the trans, if you're worried swap that out for something overrated to your car.

I think Mac still holds the UK record for most power, we've also got a chap on facebook (owen) owns the car "XS08 ADX" (X S0 8AD x) who does a lot of RWYBs at pod and is also pushing out mac levels of power and is soon shooting nitros who hasn't changed his trans out yet.

I'd just be careful with "everything" you read/see on the internet, and do your own research before investing in something such as a transmission.

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Says it all; as prior, it's only going on these cars with huge numbers, and if you can't drive; no discredit to Stephanie, but hasn't she spannered her shafts too trying to launch too hard on the strip?

I'd just be careful with "everything" you read/see on the internet, and do your own research before investing in something such as a transmission.
Stephanie managed to destroy a one piece carbon prop shaft on a drag launch. Nothing much has been said about it as yet??

I think you're right Manders.. it's something I should think long and hard about before investing the £4k it's gonna take to convert.

I do plan on adding power but quite sure just how yet? I'm currently trying to clear out all my old GT86 stuff to make room for some S550 stuff.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
the manual gearbox is fine unless you start pushing 800+ even then its still "ok" its the clutch that goes and the ratios are kinda wrong on big power especially with turbo's where everything kicks in violently (sc's little bit more gentle as the power is always there)

the only people who are really swapping out to a tremac/magnum are those that are pushing silly power just put a mcleod RST (not the rsx that'll destroy your box for you) in and you'll be good for about 1200 it seems.
lightening the flywheel will just make it rev faster as you're reducing mass but it'll also make it more sensitive / twitchy thats why they've gone with a heavier dual mass wheel in the 18's to smooth it out and reduce the kangaroo effect we so often get.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Stephanie managed to destroy a one piece carbon prop shaft on a drag launch. Nothing much has been said about it as yet??

I think you're right Manders.. it's something I should think long and hard about before investing the £4k it's gonna take to convert.

I do plan on adding power but quite sure just how yet? I'm currently trying to clear out all my old GT86 stuff to make room for some S550 stuff.
Again, as much as a lovely (looking and otherwise) woman she is - I wouldn't trust the crushing of parts down to part failure more than I would poor driving/knowledge for things like that. Helion twin turbos are an insane amount of power and push a lot of power out down low (vs a supercharger which gains its boost the longer it drives, a turbo pretty much runs to peak boost straight away (ON WOT) which will shock (if launched wrong) and ruin most the driveline/train.

Just swap the clutch honestly, there's no need for the entire tunnel.

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please don’t ever mention the words “Dual Mass Flywheel” in any of my threads again. The inventor of this useless excuse at smoothing our transmission vibration should be put in a room with the guy who invented the electronic handbrake and taught a thing or two.

Why on earth would anyone replace a disc of steel or iron that will last 100 years with a bonded together contraption that breaks and causes catastrophic damage sometimes!! They also cost a LOT of money.

Rant over.. back to proper talk. I’m sure you guys are all correct, so I’m gonna forget I ever wrote this thread and crawl back under my rock.

Dual Mass Flywheel... aaarrgghhh
Sponsored