Broken air con compressor

Broomboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue GT
Driving into work today and my car started sounding hellish, high pitched whining from the front. Kind of like A small capacity turbo (sorry that one wrote itself.. )

After 10 miles driving like a granny convinced of the worst i got into the Edinburgh Ford store and they diagnosed it as a faulty air con compressor. No issues with there diagnosis as they disconnected it to let me on my way and instantly fixed, just waiting on the new one arriving but I'm wondering if anyone's come across this before?I

I'm pretty certain it's been on its way out for a while, the cars a lot quieter from the front generally and I suspect it's been getting gradually louder for some months..
Sponsored

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
Driving into work today and my car started sounding hellish, high pitched whining from the front. Kind of like A small capacity turbo (sorry that one wrote itself.. ��)
Mine went like that at about 10,000 km. Allegedly due to being under gassed from the factory. Replaced under warranty. This has also been a result of the dreaded evaporator issue where the system loses gas and then wrecks the compressor. It would be interesting if you could find out if your system was low on refrigerant too. I'm still a little worried that the source of my system being under gassed may be a crook evaporator. I need to drive it a bit this Summer and push it before warranty expires.
I'm assuming your compressor was on at the time. Otherwise it would most likely be a compressor clutch issue with a faulty bearing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Broomboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue GT
It was on at the time. I'll see if I can get the whole story when I take it back in to get the new one fitted them and let you know. Didn't fill me with confidence it failing after 11000 miles to be honest, be panicking over any small noises for a few months i reckon ??

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker
Sponsored