Sponsored

Underwhelming Turn-in

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Stock GTPP turn-in was a joke. So did light wheels, 285/35/19 RE-71 tires all around, FRPP track pack and sways set on stiff. Handling is flat, predictable and fairly tight, but initial turn-in still sucks. The camber is currently set at the FRPP recommended values of -1.6F, -1.98R, so it probably needs (a lot) more neg camber up front. GM can make a 4100lb caddy turn in like a miata, but this 3660lb GT fights to start a turn like my '69 impala did. Could do a lighter battery up front. Anything else I'm missing?

Love the car otherwise, and the handling/harshness is at a good compromise right now. But damn, this thing ought to snap into a turn a lot better than what it does. :headbonk::doh::frusty:
Sponsored

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I don't have much to offer in terms of a solution, but I am in the same boat (no pun). I love the car, but turn in is so-so. Also have same suspension as you, but for now driving with sway bars set on soft.

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried setting the front sway to a softer setting?

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Have you tried setting the front sway to a softer setting?
It was on my list, since several folks here run it that way (soft in front, stiff in back) but haven't tried it yet. The thing that made me hesitate is that the handling is otherwise pretty neutral. It's worth a try though since it's a fairly easy thing to change.

Sponsored

job

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Capri, 85 Audi, 2005 Dodge 2500,2017 GTPP
Yes add the front toe out and add toe in, at the rear.

I'm at 1/8" toe out front. and 1/8" toe in at the rear. helped quite a bit

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Thanks, you guys drive on the street with toe out? Guess 1/8" isn't much, but I'd be worried about killing tires.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks, you guys drive on the street with toe out? Guess 1/8" isn't much, but I'd be worried about killing tires.
You're in the racing/autox section with this thread. We aren't really worried about tire life here man. :cheers:

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
You're in the racing/autox section with this thread. We aren't really worried about tire life here man. :cheers:
Yeah, I deserved that. :lol:

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yeah, I deserved that. :lol:
Haha, but front toe is super easy to do yourself so I'd recommend experimenting with it in your driveway. I know that with a stockish GTPP that toe-in is slow, zero feels like there is a dead zone and toe-out kinda brings it to life. You'll have to balance out how much makes the car feel right to you vs the effect it has on tire wear.

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Crank that camber in to -2.2 up front....thats what mine was at when you rode in it. Full soft on front sway bar and middle setting on rear sway bar.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Add a bit of toe out, quite a bit of (negative) camber, and trail brake.

More tire with less or no stagger also helps.

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
You need more front camber some toe changes as suggested and play with the sway bar settings. Softer front firmer rear

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Alright, thanks for the suggestions guys. I've got to install the BMR cb005 kit since I do want to do an occasional drag pass, and when I head back to the alignment shop we'll make some tweaks.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What does the front suspension lateral link use for its chassis side pivot bushing? Compliance there for the more important outside front will directly reduce the amount of negative camber and indirectly cause the toe to drift toward 'out'. On the inside front, toe would migrate inward and camber further negative None of which is good for response.

Norm
Sponsored