Sponsored

Price paid? Hold back? $33k?

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Went into a couple of dealerships today in the Austin, TX area:

*I have financing in place, pre-approval letter from my bank.

I've financed, paid cash and leased a car in my past so experience is not an issue; but I've never bought a Ford. Only companies I've ever purchased from us Acura and Lexus.

First salesman starts talking about "hold back" and check out this invoice. Tactic? I'm just curious as I didn't buy into, knowing I have a number in mind I want to hit.

I was looking at a Premium GT in auto, MSRP was 42,3XX (-) Dealer discount of $3780 and (-) Ford Incentive of $2000. =$36,520.

For y'all that have experience at Ford, what would be the lowest (given factors above) they would go on this? He mentioned "hold back" was around $1500. I want to get into for $33,000-$33,500 out the door, possible?
Sponsored

OP
OP

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Also: I did see a link the other day where I could sign up for one of the plans and pay a fee for it. Don't remember which plan it was but is it worth paying for the plan?

AZStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium /Performance
33k seems pretty optimistic to me. Really depends on the dealer. How bad do they want to move it?

My advice is go to the largest volume dealer at the very end of the month. Big dealers need to move inventory and in my experience tend to be more negotiable. I bought mine on Labor Day as its supposed to be the best day of the year to buy a car. I was told that by many in the industry as I was shopping around. Just my opinion for whatever it’s worth to you. Good luck and I hope you do get it for 33k:cheers:

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
You're wanting to pay $33-33,500 OTD as in tax, tags...etc on 42,3XX MSRP? Is this a 2017? I know here in SoCal that would never come close to happening on a '17. An '18 not even close.
So if sales tax is 8.25% in Austin Texas, that means you'd be getting like $12K off MSRP before taxes. Good luck, you'll need it.

OP
OP

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
33k seems pretty optimistic to me. Really depends on the dealer. How bad do they want to move it?

My advice is go to the largest volume dealer at the very end of the month. Big dealers need to move inventory and in my experience tend to be more negotiable. I bought mine on Labor Day as its supposed to be the best day of the year to buy a car. I was told that by many in the industry as I was shopping around. Just my opinion for whatever it’s worth to you. Good luck and I hope you do get it for 33k:cheers:
Thanks for the reply! It is that end of the month time, so higher volume dealers is the way to go huh?

Anyone else know if the small fee paid for whatever Ford plan is worth it? And where are you 18 guys at, please tell me this is possible out the door! :headbang:

Sponsored

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
Well you might be talking X-Plan.

But if your dealer is giving you "Dealer discount of $3780" then he is probably beating X-Plan already.

right now Ford has $1500 cash on 2018's so that might be the "holdback" he is talking about but the term doesn't seem right as it is just an incentive.

Ill agree the other folks here, trying to get in this OTD for 33K is wishful thinking, they would have to sell the car for 31K + taxes...I dont see it happening.

OP
OP

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Well you might be talking X-Plan.

But if your dealer is giving you "Dealer discount of $3780" then he is probably beating X-Plan already.

right now Ford has $1500 cash on 2018's so that might be the "holdback" he is talking about but the term doesn't seem right as it is just an incentive.

Ill agree the other folks here, trying to get in this OTD for 33K is wishful thinking, they would have to sell the car for 31K + taxes...I dont see it happening.
If 33k is a pipe dream- what do you think is most obtainable OTD?

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
If 33k is a pipe dream- what do you think is most obtainable OTD?
$3780 and another $2K is pretty dam good imho, I dont think you'll get much better than that. 36.5 for a 42.3 car in my book is pretty dam good.

IM sure other guys on here have much better info than me though.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
If it helps, I factory ordered a 2018 GT Premium - price was $3800 off MSRP BEFORE $2000 in rebates ($1500 rebate + $500 NC Farm Bureau rebate). That price was inclusive of their $700 doc fee (so would have been $4500 below MSRP without the doc fee). So after rebates I paid $5800 below MSRP. Only other fees paid were tax, tags, title.

I can't tell from your post if you know what holdback is, so forgive me if you do: It is the amount the dealership receives from Ford when they sell the car. So even if the sell car at invoice, they still get 3% of MSRP. That's why some dealers can sell below invoice - they are giving up some of their 3% holdback.

Holdback is $1260 on a $42K car. Most dealers won't go much more, if any, below invoice than that on an '18. My deal was $1300 below invoice, but no other dealer (I contacted about 10) would even come close to that. Still don't know why they did it - maybe they were trying to achieve a sales quantity bonus of some sort.

Last edited:

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
$3780 and another $2K is pretty dam good imho, I dont think you'll get much better than that. 36.5 for a 42.3 car in my book is pretty dam good.

IM sure other guys on here have much better info than me though.
Agreed. Already almost $6K off an '18 is great IMHO. Try for even $6K.

Sponsored

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
I was looking at a Premium GT in auto, MSRP was 42,3XX (-) Dealer discount of $3780 and (-) Ford Incentive of $2000. =$36,520.

For y'all that have experience at Ford, what would be the lowest (given factors above) they would go on this? He mentioned "hold back" was around $1500. I want to get into for $33,000-$33,500 out the door, possible?
Doubtful.

GT Premium and auto is an invoice price of $39,400.
X Plan is about a couple hundred over invoice. You only get the Ford incentives on that.
A/D/Z Plan is about 2-3% under invoice but you have to be a ford employee, immediate family, or dealer. You get the Ford incentives.

Add in any state taxes and fees and I don't see it happening.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'd jump on the deal they offered after trying to squeeze a little more out of them. If they won't budge go for it anyway...great price

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
You're wanting to pay $33-33,500 OTD as in tax, tags...etc on 42,3XX MSRP? Is this a 2017? I know here in SoCal that would never come close to happening on a '17. An '18 not even close.
So if sales tax is 8.25% in Austin Texas, that means you'd be getting like $12K off MSRP before taxes. Good luck, you'll need it.
Hawaii still has 8K markups and they wonder why I bought mine in Oregon.

keith58

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 RR Convenience
I special ordered 7300 off sticker for a loaded GT Premium. That includes all incentives but not dealer doc fee. There are good deals out there. Yours sounds really strong given the starting MSRP so I'd say buy the car and enjoy it. So what it you leave 500 on the table when you already have a good deal.
Sponsored