OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
After a visual inspection and talking with USAA, the body shop and USAA believe the car is going to be totaled. After the body shop put the car on the lift, they observed sever frontal frame damage on the passenger side. They said some crumpling also occurred on the driver's side but the passenger side is severely damaged and beyond what they would consider repairable due to frame integrity and safety but USAA will make the final call.

They also are still convinced the airbag should have deployed. We may never know if it should have if they total the car.

On a positive note, his neck is starting to feel a little better and he is looking at getting a 18 GT PP with A10.

Looks like sigintel made a fare assessment of the damage. Hard to tell by pics alone for sure.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
First of all, thank God he is OK.

Insurance will ultimately decide on its outcome, but not really seeing whats underneath the skin and beyond, it doesnt look bad enough to be totalled.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First of all, thank God he is OK.

Insurance will ultimately decide on its outcome, but not really seeing whats underneath the skin and beyond, it doesnt look bad enough to be totalled.
Thank you.

I agree but apparently the hood avoided some of the impact somehow and the area below the hood got hammered. Like sigintel pointed out, you can see the passenger front is pushed under the hood a decent amount and I guess that crumple zone did it's job and crumpled. You can see the passenger side headlight is pushed back pretty far.

USAA should make a final call soon. I will post up the final verdict.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
FYI- if they do total it, from experience with USAA in fact, the adjuster will allow you to remove any aftermarket parts if you replace with the stock / equivalent part. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s good to know.

The visual estimate came in at $17,300. That’s without getting into the car. So depending on USAA valuation and what %, I’m thinking they will indeed total the car.

If valued at $29,000 and a 70% valuation for total, that would put it at a $20,300 threshold. You add rental car and the airbag diagnosis, I’m pretty sure the car is done.

$29,000 is a very generous valuation in my opinion and 70% is a max so the threshold I think will be less than $20,300. Car only had 15k miles and was in excellent condition.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you pull the started fuse and splash coolant and oil all over the motor?
I need a spare motor and prefer to pay less at auction.
Stranger things have happened. Lol. The car is sitting in Dover DE so keep your eyes peeled for a black 2016 CS with front end damage.

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
17,300 in damage?

Two things, I am glad you are okay. I hope you get what YOU want, totaled or not totaled....

I had a Frontier worth 6700. Wrecked it and they paid 6300 to fix it.........Still boggles my mind
The Insurance guy worked in the body shop, so I think they had some shady backdealling going on between the adjuster and the shop IMO.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That’s good to know.

The visual estimate came in at $17,300. That’s without getting into the car. So depending on USAA valuation and what %, I’m thinking they will indeed total the car.

If valued at $29,000 and a 70% valuation for total, that would put it at a $20,300 threshold. You add rental car and the airbag diagnosis, I’m pretty sure the car is done.

$29,000 is a very generous valuation in my opinion and 70% is a max so the threshold I think will be less than $20,300. Car only had 15k miles and was in excellent condition.
Doesn't surprise me and I would expect more would be found if they tried to repair it. I'm still sticking with my original thought that it will be totaled. It would be very difficult to completely repair the damage.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
FYI- if they do total it, from experience with USAA in fact, the adjuster will allow you to remove any aftermarket parts if you replace with the stock / equivalent part. Hope that helps.
That's good to know. I'm with USAA now.

But in '97, a 91 year old woman in a Volvo wagon totaled my Firebird Formula. I think she had American Family Insurance. I had a bunch of mods including some expensive HREs and just wanted to swap back the factory parts to transfer the mods to the identical car I immediately ordered.

They refused and tried to play hardball and pay a fraction since the mods were now "used". I had to refuse any settlement for almost a full year before they finally paid me full retail including what professional installation would cost.

It took the possibility of being slapped with triple damages for not dealing in good faith for them to do the right thing. All just because they wouldn't let someone swap mods for stock parts. SMH

Sponsored
OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17,300 in damage?

Two things, I am glad you are okay. I hope you get what YOU want, totaled or not totaled....

I had a Frontier worth 6700. Wrecked it and they paid 6300 to fix it.........Still boggles my mind
The Insurance guy worked in the body shop, so I think they had some shady backdealling going on between the adjuster and the shop IMO.
Thank you but it was my son and his car.
I agree your body shop guy and the insurance man had something working behind the scenes.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Some states write to repair up to 100% value. I just finished a Honda pilot insured in Ohio that was up to 95% when it was written and we fixed it. Hope it goes whatever way you want it too!

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
I’m thinking there is damage to the A/C Lines and Transmission Cooler Lines. Also might be the PCM and Fuse Box. If the Impact Sensor and Connector on the Right Side is Damaged, then the Engine Wire Harness would have to be replaced too. If Wheel damage was that bad, then Suspension being moved might have damaged the Shock Tower and the Brace, if installed. Engine Mount also might be in that area and the Exhaust Manifold and Cat. If the Manifold is damaged, then the Cylinder Head may be damaged too.

The Shop Manual has tons of Structural Repair Instructions covering Welding and Bonding of most Body Parts, including the A-Frame and Door Posts and the Frame Rails. Parts would be a lot, but Labor would be a Boatload, unless you did it yourself.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
USAA asked them to take the bumper off to try to determine how much damage to the frame rails. Frame rails are beyond repair and would have to be replaced. The body shop also took a closer look at the front suspension and says it's shot and needs to be replaced.

New estimate is $20K and some change. It for sure is not getting cheaper to fix it and creeping ever closer to a total value.

I am thinking USAA feels the car is close to a total and are trying to make the final call.

The waiting continues.

The kiddo is feeling much better and enjoying the Caddy rental.

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
USAA asked them to take the bumper off to try to determine how much damage to the frame rails. Frame rails are beyond repair and would have to be replaced. The body shop also took a closer look at the front suspension and says it's shot and needs to be replaced.

New estimate is $20K and some change. It for sure is not getting cheaper to fix it and creeping ever closer to a total value.

I am thinking USAA feels the car is close to a total and are trying to make the final call.

The waiting continues.

The kiddo is feeling much better and enjoying the Caddy rental.
Goodluck, I hope they total it man. I would be so unhappy owning that vehicle if they chose the "fix it" route. It wouldn't feel right to me and would probably never be the same.
Sponsored