Longest day of my life.

OP
OP

Jordan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
Isn't it mandatory for Canadians to have winter tires during the winter months? Or is that just for certain Provinces?
Certain provinces, in Alberta you can pretty much drive whatever you feel comfortable on. I am not knocking winter tires they do help. What we really need is people to be taught how to handle icey conditions and winter in general.

I have never bought winter tires because I never felt like I needed to.

Drove through a blizzard in a 1988 Mustang GT with bald Cooper Radial GT's could not see more than a couple feet in front of me.

My 2000 GT, I drove that everywhere I was very confident in that car. got stuck a few times but nothing I couldnt get out of myself. Never once had sliding issue.

Drove half way across the city for a hockey game in white out conditions with 6 inches of snow on the ground in a blizzard. My team mates looked at me and shook their heads. :crazy:
Sponsored

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
My EB has gotten me through two Canadian winters. Blizzaks on all 4 corners, go easy on the gas, and don't be stupid. Easy, eh?
Same here, blizzaks ws80 and 200lbs of salt bags in the trunk.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
General G-Max AS-03 with ~7k miles. I'm not a dummy with bad tires.
There's a big difference between AS and real snow tires. I wouldn't drive in a snowstorm with AS tires. Maybe they're better in snow than summer performance tires, but they don't compare to good snows.

Carbon Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
There's a big difference between AS and real snow tires. I wouldn't drive in a snowstorm with AS tires. Maybe they're better in snow than summer performance tires, but they don't compare to good snows.
I agree, that's why I said it's not safe. Lol.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
These cars are fine with Blizzaks in the snow if the roads get plowed a bit. Ground clearance is only 6 inches. I did get stuck one time last year. That motivated me to get a truck :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
And as cool as these cars look when they're lowered, that's just not an option when I have to drive in winter here.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Thursday I took a 2018 Ecoboost A10 out for a spin. Looking to trade in my truck to get something more economical ( 2015 F-150 3.5 ecoboost) I don't need a truck and I will be damned if I own something FWD.

Over the past few days people have been asking me. "What are you driving in winter?" with eyes like :eyebulge:.

I don't understand the thinking that a Mustang can't handle winter. I survived driving a 1992 F-150 reg cab long box 5.0 RWD open diff on all seasons as a first vehicle. No nannies just a regular 4 speed auto bench pickup.

I drove a 1988 Fox 5.0 with H/C/I and headers on Cooper Radial GT's one winter. (It was fine)

I also drove a 2001 GT on all seasons for 2 winters. (again, weight in the back and no issues.)

Anyway this is my rant as I wait to get off work to pick up my car. only 3 hours in and feels like its been 7. :mad:

I forgot you lived in Edmonton. I grew up there! Having said that - good luck driving that thing in the winter. I made it through a Toronto winter even on the all season tires. But Edmonton? It gets so cold salt will not work and then it’s only sand! When I was there every car had a block heater and got plugged in! The only thing worse than Edmonton was Winnipeg where I was born. You took your batteries indoors at night! Last Christmas Winnipeg was colder than the North Pole!

Our American friends have no idea unless they are from Alaska. The only thing that could be worse is putting 4.10 gears and driving it in the winter. Anyway it’s been a few decades so maybe things are better with global warming (I think not).

As for the longest day in your life being a wait on a new car? You must be young. Putting on a big outdoor concert was my longest day and then crawling around on all fours the next with a sunburn. But even that was eclipsed years later with my biggest trimph followed by the death of my mother thirteen hours later in another city and country where I flew there and made it just in time to say goodbye. Those will be your longest days!!!!

But have fun with that car next winter. Carry those chains with the quick release leather attachments as the dished bodywork at the back makes these a possiblity again.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Modern cars with all the traction nannies are a cinch to drive in the winter. Put good snow tires on and you will out accelerate most other cars, even AWD vehicles.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Modern cars with all the traction nannies are a cinch to drive in the winter. Put good snow tires on and you will out accelerate most other cars, even AWD vehicles.

I tried that and could not get up a snowy hill as TC would just stop the car in the middle of the hill. When the snow hits - its TC off time. If fact I would disable the whole thing permanently as worthless! Seriously I would!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I tried that and could not get up a snowy hill as TC would just stop the car in the middle of the hill. When the snow hits - its TC off time. If fact I would disable the whole thing permanently as worthless! Seriously I would!
That never, ever has happened to me, but then I always have good snow tires on the car in the winter. I never turn TC off, especially in the snow and ice. I used to turn it off on nice days with my 2011 GT, because the nannies were a little too strict (pulling power too soon). Since 2015 traction control is a lot better IMO.

Sponsored

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yes, you CAN drive a Mustang through a winter, but I just wouldn't want to. Give me a nice 4x4 F150 anyday! lol

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes, you CAN drive a Mustang through a winter, but I just wouldn't want to. Give me a nice 4x4 F150 anyday! lol
Money no object:

Top choice for me would be an AWD small car with high HP. Focus RS comes to mind. Porsche Cayman would be better. I wouldn't worry about ground clearance as long as I have good tires.

Second choice would be an SUV - small but with a V8 (better weight distribution than a pickup). My 2003 Explorer is garbage but it drives awesome on snow and ice.

Pickups are OK in the winter, though. Just not the ideal choice IMO. They are too front heavy.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Longest day for me was when the dealership called too. I ordered on May 20, 2014. Nov 5 I got the call that morning around 9 or 10 saying it will be ready around noon.

Of course waiting on the wife to get off work around 3 was miserable. And then my adult son that was smoking at the time wanted to ride with me. I made him change clothes first. He smelled like an ashtray.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I love my Mustang, but the longest days of my life have absolutely nothing to do with cars. You must not have been through any really tough times.

Anyhow, i am sure that you will enjoy whatever you end up with and any waiting will be nil once it is in the rear view mirror.

:cheers:
Sponsored