Sponsored

Driveway clunk driving me crazy. Please help!

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys so here's the story. I have a new 2016 gt pp manual. I only have 5k miles on it rite now before I started doing any mods to it I drove it around for a couple of thousand miles and ended up finding out that driveshaft needed to be indexed. I go that done. Everything fine. I waiting about 500 miles or so and started to modify the suspension, I lowered the car and on springs and swaybars only and a couple hundred miles later when I go into a driveway it does a clunking sound or if I take wide turns it does the clunking sound. I only notice it when driving at slower speeds and during a turn or going into driveway. It will not do it on speed bumps or regular bumps. Everything sounds perfect when driving straight and turning at speed in gear but when turning slow it makes the noise. Now here's the weird thing it does it when in neutral. If I put the car in gear going into the driveway it won't do it unless you drive quick and rough but the it only does it a little. I replaced the end links thinking it was those since I lowered it and put stiffer swaybars, but nothing changed. Please I need some help guys it's driving me nuts!!!
Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Got the same thing. Resolved it to be the rear Torsen and I just hear it more after getting rid of the crap stock bushings.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Got the same thing. Resolved it to be the rear Torsen and I just hear it more after getting rid of the crap stock bushings.
So there's no fix for it?

GRNGUARD15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Green PP GT
I also have this problem and it happens under the exact same conditions as yours. People have said to loosen everything and then re torque to the factory specs, I have tried this and I still have the clunk.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I also have this problem and it happens under the exact same conditions as yours. People have said to loosen everything and then re torque to the factory specs, I have tried this and I still have the clunk.
Man its driving me nuts. Have you taken it to the dealer?

Sponsored

GRNGUARD15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Green PP GT
I haven't because From experience they are just going to brush it off and tell me it's because I lowered the car and it not covered under warranty or some other BS excuse. There is a long thread about this on here somewhere I'm sure somebody must have found a solution to it by now. Yea I can't stand it, everytime I back out of my driveway I feel like my wheel is going to snap off or something lol.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I haven't because From experience they are just going to brush it off and tell me it's because I lowered the car and it not covered under warranty or some other BS excuse. There is a long thread about this on here somewhere I'm sure somebody must have found a solution to it by now. Yea I can't stand it, everytime I back out of my driveway I feel like my wheel is going to snap off or something lol.
Yeah its really weird, but going over bumps and driving normally i don't hear it, only when going into driveways or taking wide turns slow in NEUTRAL, if i have it in gear it won't do it that bad you hear it very faintly or not at all.... I read somewhere its the way the worsen functions?....

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
I have it too. When I make a slow right hand turn, like turning into my driveway. Just a quick "clop" sound. Happens 60% of the time I am in this condition.

I noticed it more after I put on my rear sub frame connectors. I have had the car up on jack stands and torqued anything i can find. I this point I am just resigned to live with it.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I wonder if its a issue with the differential then. After reviewing the the underbelly of the drivetrain area, those components are extremely sloppy. Im going to be moving forward with replacing the driveshaft with a aluminum one piece and getting new axels, I'm just worried about having to replace the damn differential.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
I have it too. When I make a slow right hand turn, like turning into my driveway. Just a quick "clop" sound. Happens 60% of the time I am in this condition.

I noticed it more after I put on my rear sub frame connectors. I have had the car up on jack stands and torqued anything i can find. I this point I am just resigned to live with it.
Hmmm... I have the exact same setup as you ^. Non-PP GT Premium with the 3.55 and 20" Foundry Wheels. I also have the Steeda G-Trac and sub frame braces. The only difference is that I have the factory PP strut brace (from a friends car). I have no clunking sound at all and I'm at 21,000 miles. Is your car lowered? Sway bars? I didn't see it in your signature.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Hmmm... I have the exact same setup as you ^. Non-PP GT Premium with the 3.55 and 20" Foundry Wheels. I also have the Steeda G-Trac and sub frame braces. The only difference is that I have the factory PP strut brace (from a friends car). I have no clunking sound at all and I'm at 21,000 miles. Is your car lowered? Sway bars? I didn't see it in your signature.
So heres how my setup went:

I installed diff bushings, its bushings, and alignment kit, and exhaust all around the same time, no issues everything worked perfect no weird noises.

drove it like that for a good couple hundred miles and then installed steeds progressive springs, sway bars and 25mm eibach rotors, couple of hundred miles later i start hearing the noise, at first i thought it was the swaybar end links i took em off and they were extremely loose, so i replaced those with BMR adjustable ones and and also did the steeds vertical links, and irs brace as well. Car handles a lot better and launches amazing with 0 wheel hop, but that clunking and clicking noise is still there. Im thinking its something in the differential because when i have it in gear it doesn't do it, only does it in neutral.

GRNGUARD15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Green PP GT
I don't think it's the diff (at least with mine) because it's happens weather I'm in year or not, And to be honest I'm not even sure if it's coming from the rear. I try hard to listen carefully when back out and sometimes I'm 100% it's coming from the front and other times the rear.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
This could be a body panel rubbing...when I had a Genesis 3.8 it would click/pop turning left up a slight incline and you'd swear it was suspension, or lash in the driveline, but as I remember Hyundai threw out a TSB for it and we learned to fix it ourselves.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
I guess I'm not sure why the noise not occurring when in gear would point it toward the differential. I would sooner expect a differential noise when there's a load - or load reversal - on the system. Also, it sounds like this is occurring to both PP and non-PP cars, so its both differential types. I'd sooner wonder if it isn't slop in the spline fit between the axles and differential, and there's some float going on when unloaded.

I suggest this, if possible: jack the rear end of the car up (both tires) or put on a two-post lift. Put transmission in gear. Turn one rear tire. The other should turn the opposite direction (if doing on a non-PP car, you'll have to overcome the preload before that happens). At least with the Torsen, you should have a fairly smooth rotation, but see if you can wiggle it or jerk it around or otherwise vary the force you put into turning to see if any conditions reproduce the noise you're hearing. Maybe from there, with a little more info, we can narrow down the actual source. Also, you may be able to feel play in spline connections or joints. It might help to have a buddy on hand so you can poke around while the wheels are being turned.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I guess I'm not sure why the noise not occurring when in gear would point it toward the differential. I would sooner expect a differential noise when there's a load - or load reversal - on the system. Also, it sounds like this is occurring to both PP and non-PP cars, so its both differential types. I'd sooner wonder if it isn't slop in the spline fit between the axles and differential, and there's some float going on when unloaded.

I suggest this, if possible: jack the rear end of the car up (both tires) or put on a two-post lift. Put transmission in gear. Turn one rear tire. The other should turn the opposite direction (if doing on a non-PP car, you'll have to overcome the preload before that happens). At least with the Torsen, you should have a fairly smooth rotation, but see if you can wiggle it or jerk it around or otherwise vary the force you put into turning to see if any conditions reproduce the noise you're hearing. Maybe from there, with a little more info, we can narrow down the actual source. Also, you may be able to feel play in spline connections or joints. It might help to have a buddy on hand so you can poke around while the wheels are being turned.
I will give that a shot today after work and see what happens with it. Last time I looked at it though the driveshaft seemed fine, What I did notice was a slight side to side movement from the axels, maybe moving by a 2-4mm side to side.
Sponsored