2018 - Auto or manual

Auto or manual

• Total voters

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
I currently have the auto. I drive it every day and the traffic getting in and out of the CBD would make the manual a real pain. So I always drive it in sport and 100% of the time use the paddles, which I really enjoy.

I just wonder if I would use the paddles with a 10 speed? I figure you would be changing non stop all day long. which may become a bit of a chore. Maybe just slip it in sport plant the right foot, sit back, leave the paddles alone and enjoy the performance and the sound.
Sponsored

why not

never fast enough
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt fastback (ordered 7/28/17)
Go with the auto! I love mine! BEST transmission I have ever had.....and I have had everything!

Pky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Ford Falcon XF Ute, 2016 Ford Mustang GT
I currently have the 6 speed auto, most of the time it’s fine but when I’m going up twisties I put it in sport mode and use the paddles to control the gearing. Otherwise the constant shifting up and down annoys me.

I’ve ordered my 2018 with a manual, the improvements to the manual box sound like a lot of fun.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
When the new manual came out I thought it was supposed to have the no lift shift feature, but I haven't heard anybody mention it lately. I'm sure its not good to use frequently. IDK, I did like the manual in my 14 as it sure felt faster than my auto, although it is pretty quick in sport mode and you get the automatic start which I use a lot.

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm going to try the 10spd but if it's anything like the 6 in the current gen then i'll give it a miss. Just doesn't do it for me. I have issues letting the gearbox control itself as i love twisties. It feels less engaging too me as i dislike paddles also.

Can appreciate why others like the auto though and this 10spd does sound good enough I want to give it a try

Sponsored

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I wonder how the wear and tear on the mageride will be?

Will be interesting to see the costs of maintenance/replacement as well as how long they last. Also how the hold up against a decent set of coilovers. I'm pretty much sold on them BUT if they're expensive and wear out quickly without being in line with or better than coilovers than i'll stick to the latter

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I changed my order from manual to auto, hoping it is as good as all the reviews say

Fen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Convertible with Magneride
We had a manual '16, because that's what we wanted. I crashed my mountain bike around 18 months ago and now have to use hand controls so a manual was out, which was what really put us over the edge to have an auto in the '18.

2 days in, and I haven't driven it yet as it doesn't have hand controls yet, but from the passenger seat I think the auto is the way to go. I haven't persuaded my wife to give it a proper go in all the drive modes yet, but from the videos of drag strip and the difference between normal and sport+ it looks like it'll do anything from slurring through the gears to holding on to the redline in auto depending how you choose it to behave, even without putting it in S, and it has the paddles as well.

Whoever it was said it's a new transmission I'm pretty sure that's not correct. It's already in the F150 and the Camaro ZL-1 as someone else said, and it's in the Ranger Raptor that's arriving in August. It's still pretty new, but this isn't its first time out in production cars and it has to be pretty strong if trucks and 650bhp Camaros are using it.

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
if its going to be your wife's car then go with the auto...
Sponsored