Sponsored

MGW/Barton in the cold

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
For you guys in the cold climates with aftermarket shifters, just wondering if you still get the poor shifting (notchy/nibbles) on those cold mornings.I changed my fluid to the BG and am ok with the stock shifter when the trans warms up. Seeing as the shifting does improve when warm, I’m thinking the poor shifting is a trans problem and not a shifter problem but wanted your input.
Thanks
Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
I have found my Barton hybrid to be significantly "notchier" -- and gear selection dramatically stiffer -- in extreme cold...especially into 1 and 2.

After owning it for a year on factory fluids I switched to RP in trans & diff last weekend, and for sure it was 0% improved, and if I had to say - probably about 8% worse. But this is at -20°C (-ish)

And yes - it gets better & better as it warms up, but I still get a 'knuckle pop' going into 3rd every time...cold or warm.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's the BG fluid. While it's amazing for 3 seasons all the time, in the winter it's a bit notchy till it warms up. I have the MGW. I find it better with the MGW vs. stock as it'll "tell me" when it's too cold on the 1-2. I usually skip shift to 3 for a couple miles and then it's all peachy once the trans warms up.

Don't let that make your decision on the shifter. It's so amazing otherwise that the very minor and temporary annoyance doesn't even register. It feels like a different car.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
im running same as Bmac. adding on to what he said if i may, i feel the mgw with the bg fluid is still better in the cold then stock ever was. its a tiny notchy 1-2 for like 3 min then its gone. but i havent even really noticed it much so for me its a non issue. id do the mgw and bg over and over again if i had to

OP
OP

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Thanks for the replies. As mediocre as the stock shifter is, I’m ok with it along with the BG fluid when warm. It’s been in the teens or less the last couple of weeks here and that 1-2, 2-3 shift is notchy until it warms up. Just yesterday it actually got near 40 and it was already better on cold start.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies. As mediocre as the stock shifter is, I’m ok with it along with the BG fluid when warm. It’s been in the teens or less the last couple of weeks here and that 1-2, 2-3 shift is notchy until it warms up. Just yesterday it actually got near 40 and it was already better on cold start.
Yes the stock shifter with the fluid definitely is a sizeable improvement. Have you driven a car with the mgw and the fluid?

OP
OP

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
No, never drove one with the MGW. Everyone says how great they are. For me and my driving style (no track, no 7k shifts, old guy) the stock shifter is fine. I’m really not sure I’m keeping this car. i’ve Been buying new cars for 30 yrs and this one has a lot of little things that really annoy me.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
you dont have to track to be able to enjoy the benefits of the MGW. The shifter is one of the best worthwhile mods because you literally interact with it 100% of the time.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
No, never drove one with the MGW. Everyone says how great they are. For me and my driving style (no track, no 7k shifts, old guy) the stock shifter is fine. I’m really not sure I’m keeping this car. i’ve Been buying new cars for 30 yrs and this one has a lot of little things that really annoy me.
such as?

OP
OP

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
These are small things but annoying to me:
Having to change the trans oil on a new car to make if functional
Poor low beam lights, having to adjust headlights on a new car
Creaks and crackles from the plastics in the dash area(every day annoyance)
Rattling every time you close the doors(because the window is partially down??) makes it sound cheap
Wheel hop
Bluetooth connection to my IPhone is a crapshoot every time I get in the car( works most of the time but not always)
horn chirps(sometimes for a known reason, sometimes not)
These are things you shouldn’t have to deal with on a 35K car IMO. I’ve bought cars for half that price that were so much better. I do love the way it’s looks and the 5.0 is an awesome motor, just wish the quality of the overall car was better.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
you dont have to track to be able to enjoy the benefits of the MGW. The shifter is one of the best worthwhile mods because you literally interact with it 100% of the time.
Agreed but not worth $500 to me at this time. The cold shifts are the thing that bothers me and a new shifter doesn’t seem to help that problem much.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's a $25k car with a $10k engine, just like the GT350 is a $30k car with a $30k engine.

TwinReverb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I notice notchy shifts in the colder weather with my mgw and bg fluids.
Here is what I do.
When shift from one to second I make it two motions instead of one. Out of first, pause in neutral,then into 2nd at fairly lower rpm (2000-2500rpm).
Repeat this for all remaining gears. I’m not forcing it but applying gentle pressure until it wants to go into the gear.

Usually after the first few minutes of driving the shifts tend to smooth out again .
Sponsored