Sponsored

Front end dipping — springs or dampers?

Braaaaaap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99' Toyota 4Runner (Supercharged), 20' GT350
2020 GT350 owner here

I’ve got a question regarding the suspension. I’ve scraped the splitter twice, but they haven’t been on steep driveways or speed bumps.

The first time was on a dip. I wasn’t going crazy fast, but quick enough to where the front squatted at the bottom and scraped. Note: the dip is strictly downhill. There is no uphill on the other side. It just flattens out.

The second time was at a U turn. There was a little bump in the road. I took it at some speed, and the nose totally dropped and scraped.

I’ve noticed coming off speed bumps the front feels super soft. It’ll dip when I come off the bump. It feels almost as a boat nosing into a wave (very buoyant).

Has anyone else noticed this? I’m considering some BMR/GT350R/FP lowering springs to hopefully stiffen up the front; however, it just occurred to me that it could possibly be the dampers/programming.

I am aware that this softness actually creates more grip, so I worry that stiffening the suspension would actually make the car less settled.

Let me know your experiences/what you think. If you can talk about your experience with springs (and/or shocks) it appreciate it.
Sponsored

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Somewhere int he owners manual it mentions that approaching driveway and parking lot entrance at best done at 45 degree angles and slower. I scraped mine on the very first my exit from the Ford dealer, on a bump that did not at all look like it would scrap. It didn't even leave a mark, I checked. I think that thing is only 3.25 inches off the ground on a good day?

I go slower entering and exiting parking lots, avoid steep driveways and I bought these.

https://zl1addons.com/products/zl1-...MIrdPc5Jqz6gIVTr7ACh0JHQ_-EAYYASABEgKtA_D_BwE

They won't save it from major mistakes but they should help.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Have you ever driven a car this low with this much front splitter? It literally take nothing to scrape the splitter. I have an intersection that I have to drive over that has a hump and then flattens out as you enter the side street and if I hit that going the speed limit (45) my splitter hits every time on the down side. All I have to do is pull about 10-15 mph off and it's fine. This car doesn't need to be lowered and if you lower it with your driving techniques, you will be very unhappy and wonder why you can't keep splitters on the car.

OP
OP
Braaaaaap

Braaaaaap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99' Toyota 4Runner (Supercharged), 20' GT350
Have you ever driven a car this low with this much front splitter? It literally take nothing to scrape the splitter. I have an intersection that I have to drive over that has a hump and then flattens out as you enter the side street and if I hit that going the speed limit (45) my splitter hits every time on the down side. All I have to do is pull about 10-15 mph off and it's fine. This car doesn't need to be lowered and if you lower it with your driving techniques, you will be very unhappy and wonder why you can't keep splitters on the car.
I drive an Acura NSX with less ground clearance than the GT350. The difference is the front end of the NSX is tight. The splitter will only scrape if you aggressively take a driveway or a bump.

The front of the 350 is soft in comparison. The goal was to stiffen it up to prevent the front from dipping. These scrapes aren’t as much ground clearance as they are give in then front suspension allowing the front to compress down way more than I believe should be the case.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
There is no way the suspension on the GT350 is soft in the normal setting to allow that much "dipping" of the front end. My ground clearance is roughly 4 3/4" and the distance from the centerline of my front wheel to the edge of the spoiler is roughly 35". If the NSX is lower than that and equal to or longer than that, I don't know what to tell you other than drive your car in track mode and beat the crap of yourself on our wonderful public roads. Would you say your NSX has more compliance than the GT350 in normal modes? Does it ride smoother?
Sponsored