Brake dust on Rims?

kalittle97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Can anyone tell me what this is? Pretty sure its brake dust. Any tips to get it out and prevent future residue?
mustang.jpg
mustang1.jpg
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Looks like rust coming out from the center hub and getting flung around the wheel. Pull the cap out if you can and clean it out with WD40. If you can't pop the cap without damaging it, you'll have to take off the wheel. Once it's clean, hit it with WD40 again or a light coating of grease.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Looks like rust coming out from the center hub and getting flung around the wheel. Pull the cap out if you can and clean it out with WD40. If you can't pop the cap without damaging it, you'll have to take off the wheel. Once it's clean, hit it with WD40 again or a light coating of grease.
Yeah, that's definitely not brake dust. This is what I would do. ^^^

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
Too funny! I have the same thing on my driver side rear wheels after changing wheels, changing rear pads, rotors, and having the rear control arm off to change the bushings. I actually thought It was from driving through coffee someone dumped at intersection........which I did do.

Please post if you find what it is.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That's rust from the hub my friends.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I swore I replied to this

I use car tunnel drive through Car washes, it has a wheel cleaner which has high pressure, mine was doing sane as yours.

Water gets behind center caps then comes out as rust later. I took off each wheel, behind each center cap, got a nice glob of gasket/silicone rubber and ran it around the inside sealing it. Let it dry 2 days before going into wash again.

Never rust again, can just razor old stuff or punch center cap out with little effort

I used just alcohol wipes to clean before I tossed some sealant in there

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
I swore I replied to this

I use car tunnel drive through Car washes, it has a wheel cleaner which has high pressure, mine was doing sane as yours.

Water gets behind center caps then comes out as rust later. I took off each wheel, behind each center cap, got a nice glob of gasket/silicone rubber and ran it around the inside sealing it. Let it dry 2 days before going into wash again.

Never rust again, can just razor old stuff or punch center cap out with little effort

I used just alcohol wipes to clean before I tossed some sealant in there
you're not going crazy.. i could have sworn you did too.. cause i remember you saying that about the caulk/sealant

EDIT: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brake-dust-on-rims.143779/

ok.. we're not crazy..

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
you're not going crazy.. i could have sworn you did too.. cause i remember you saying that about the caulk/sealant

EDIT: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brake-dust-on-rims.143779/

ok.. we're not crazy..
on an iPhone I can sometimes miss the reply button etc. so I wondered if I didn't, but its a duplicate thread essentially.

But if anyone ever has the rust issues, seriously, get a little bit of gasket/sealant rubber and smear a bead of it on the inside of the wheel in the center caps, give it a day or two to dry, but its been like 8 months, havnt had a rust issue since. Its simply water blowing past the center cap rings and sitting in there, or water getting in there somehow.

Then once its driven, if new water sits/reactivates the rust it will fling out from the wheel center caps as shown.
Sponsored