OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
That's odd, I can reach mine.

I'm sure it's just a loose filter. Good luck!
I pretty sure it’s under a plastic flap which I did see looking at some pictures I’ve found but I didn’t want to go undoing anything if I wasn’t 100% as didn’t want to waste my time getting all grubby and wet as it’s pissing it down! Will have another look tomorrow
Sponsored

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
That's odd, I can reach mine.

I'm sure it's just a loose filter. Good luck!
I undid the flap and felt around and could just reach the filter but no way i could get enough grip on it to see if it was fully tight, you must have 6 foot long arms mate!! Although my large head prevents me from getting under the car a great deal.

Anyway, the filter is oily and the underside of the flap directly underneath it is also all oily so 100% the oil filter. Strangely when i moved it today to look no more oil had appeared on the floor but would that be due to it not really moving much in between wiping it up and moving it again to check?

Dealer it is.

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ford replaced the oil filter, apparently the replacement was different so they had to contact Ford technical, anyway all was okay and all fixed. When I get time I’m going to see if they actually cleaned up the excess oil on the underside of the access flap and other areas. Place your bets!!!

Master tech couldn’t see or find anything wrong with the springy steering noise I get when cold and said it sounded normal, I tend to agree it probably is.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I undid the flap and felt around and could just reach the filter but no way i could get enough grip on it to see if it was fully tight, you must have 6 foot long arms mate!! Although my large head prevents me from getting under the car a great deal.

Anyway, the filter is oily and the underside of the flap directly underneath it is also all oily so 100% the oil filter. Strangely when i moved it today to look no more oil had appeared on the floor but would that be due to it not really moving much in between wiping it up and moving it again to check?

Dealer it is.
Haha! I am tall and I was surprised that I could reach it. I thought that it was cool that I could clean the oil off without getting under the car. Maybe the UK cars have the filter in a different location?

Good thing it was just the filter. You shouldn't have any more drips now.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
yep, RHD cars have the oil filter in a different location (sadly) due to the steering rack they had to move the oil cooler and locate the filter closer to the block.. ie no sandwich cooler between block and filter boss.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
yep, RHD cars have the oil filter in a different location (sadly) due to the steering rack they had to move the oil cooler and locate the filter closer to the block.. ie no sandwich cooler between block and filter boss.
Ok. That explains a lot and sorry to the OP for the confusion.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
When my oil cooler went I didn't see any oil in my coolant, just a load of smoke as the oil poured out the bottom and hit the exhaust.

There is a plastic flap just under the oil cooler that you can remove from under the car and from there you can see and check the oil cooler for leaks.

On rhd drive Mustangs you can see the oil filter inside the passenger side wheel arch.

Ford didn't bother cleaning the oil from the underside of my car until I complained it was a fire hazard and I wasn't accepting it back until they did. I still ended up finding oil on the underside of my car a year later whilst doing maintenance work.

Ford still haven't accepted the oil cooler failure as a recall as the newer Mustangs still have the same cooler part number. It's going to be interesting to see Fords response when the oil coolers start going after the warrantys have expired.

You can reduce the risk by installing a bigger radiator to increase the coolant, ceramic coat your headers to reduce the heat or swap the oil cooler out for a front mounted air cooler.

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
On rhd drive Mustangs you can see the oil filter inside the passenger side wheel arch.
Im not sure if this has changed then on 2018+ GT's as on my 2019 you cannot physically see the oil filter by just looking inside the wheel arch, you would need to jack it up and be underneath the flap looking up.
Sponsored