Sponsored

Traction / tire questions

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
i have a few questions I’m hoping for input.

I have the factory 20” foundry wheels. This is for rear only.

How are the Firestone Indy 500s as far as traction compared to a dedicated drag radials?

I would be looking at the 285 35 R20 Indies. They are an amazing deal - literally half the price of drag radials. However, I wonder if they will perform well enough for traction.

I am also considering a true drag radial such as the MT ET Street SS and Nitto 555R or RII. Sizes are limited on those though. Considering the 275 40 R20. Do they fit or are they too tall?

This is for a PD boosted 3.55 auto car. The height may help reduce rear gear ratio a wee bit I was thinking.

Ideas or suggestions?

I’d like to keep some wet weather safety in mind lol.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Thanks!

Same as the search I did... Can’t seem to find any direct comparisons of the questions I asked though.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Thanks!

Same as the search I did... Can’t seem to find any direct comparisons of the questions I asked though.
I have the 285/35/20 Indy 500s on my car. Great ride and very affordable.
With that said, is drag racing traction your main focus or will the tires be run all the time? If the tires will be run all the time, get the Indy 500s. Most drag radials are a handful in the rain.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Thanks!

Tires will be on the car all the time. My current factory tires are like ice skates. Car will only go to the track on rare occasions for track rentals. They don’t like fast convertibles lol.

How sticky are Indira straight line on the street? Any comparison to a dedicated drag radial?

Sponsored

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Thanks!

Tires will be on the car all the time. My current factory tires are like ice skates. Car will only go to the track on rare occasions for track rentals. They don’t like fast convertibles lol.

How sticky are Indira straight line on the street? Any comparison to a dedicated drag radial?
Honestly, if you aren’t heating the drag radials up via burnouts, the Indy 500s will probably be about the same as drag radials on the street.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
i just switched to the indy 500s from sumitomo htr z5 and i'm honestly a little disappointed. they seem to have a little more traction than my worn out sumitomos but not nearly as much as i expected. still can't hook up worth a crap on the street since switching to E85

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
That’s disappointing to hear.
Sponsored