Sponsored

Need input for my OCD weekend project :)

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Okay gang, this is for the OCDs out there. Ha ha. First, let me tell you what I did today (pics 1 and 2), before my 'project'. It bothered me to have those hood cover studs, when there's none on our cars. Tried to unscrew them by force, but they didn't budge. Tried pulling them out, and no dice either. So ended up cutting them, then sanding them flush and smooth, then painted black. They look like push pins now, and there will be no more bloody hands when cleaning the engine :D.

Now to my project. As you can see on pic #3 below, we have FOUR additional studs (with nuts on top) on the intake that I'd like to remove, and replace with nice bolts. Unlike the other 2 that I had to cut, those are reverse torx, so they were obviously threaded in place. However, they might have thread locker, and I'd like to know if that's the case. Does anybody know? And no, I don't have the precise socket to apply more force than I did with en E6 socket, which is the smallest I have at the moment. I didn't want to apply too much torque since I'd strip the head, but with what I felt comfortable applying, they didn't budge, as expected. I can buy the right socket tomorrow, if needed... but only if I know they can be removed without any trouble, since I'd need the threads intact to put nice bolts instead. Don't expect any input on this, but maybe I'm not the only crazy one out there. Ha ha. Thanks gang.
Bullitt intake2.JPG
Bullitt intake3.JPG
Bullitt intake1.JPG
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Pretty sure that last image is the one that holds the Ford Performance Oil separator I think photo #2 is as well.

Many of these usually hold on optional parts and modifications. If I found out someone removed them I'd be making them pay for new parts to put them back and I'd be avoiding any car that had them removed. If you do sell the car decent chance you're going to make the 2nd owner VERY pissed (and potentially very pricy to their wallet) when they go to install things and find those threads gone. Not to mention its possible Ford techs may use them for some removal or alignment things

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Those on the last photo are the ones I just want to remove, which could be put back in a minute, so calm down man :D. The ones I cut were for an engine cover that will never fit, so no issues there. Plus the Ford oil separators attach to the head cover bolts, not any of those. There's no use for any of the 6 threaded studs I mentioned.

Now back to my question: Does anybody know if those 4 top studs have thread locker or not? And is the socket size E5 or E5.5? Thx.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Project complete :D. Got the E5 E-Torx socket, and was able to easily remove the studs. I was expecting a regular thread, and possibly with thread locker. But was greeted with a coarse thread, very similar to wood screws. Looked for black allen-head bolts, but absolutely nothing even close to that weird thread. Fortunately, had 5 black screws laying around that were a match, so completed the project that way. Looks much better than before, and now have a stud (and injury)-free engine :). Now this thread can have a meaningful death. Ha ha.

Bullitt engine mod.JPG
Sponsored