driveshaft vibration

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
On a hiway trip my car has a driveshaft vibe that starts at 79 mph and continues to get worse as speed increases. By 85 its nasty. Push in the clutch and coast no difference, All the bolts are tight.
I'm thinking it's time for a catbon fiber shaft.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
On a hiway trip my car has a driveshaft vibe that starts at 79 mph and continues to get worse as speed increases. By 85 its nasty. Push in the clutch and coast no difference, All the bolts are tight.
I dont have that. Sure its not a wheel? or a wheel bearing? in the rear maybe since I assume you dont feel it in the steering wheel.

I was looking at that shaft let me know how it feels..

OP
OP
Screamer

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
I dont have that. Sure its not a wheel? or a wheel bearing? in the rear maybe since I assume you dont feel it in the steering wheel.

I was looking at that shaft let me know how it feels..
It's a driveshaft vibration , 100 percent.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
how does one tell driveshaft vibration from let say, wheel balance or alignment. My car was fine but now at around 80-85 it picks up vibration in the wheel, so I thought it was balance / alignment, but also in the gas pedal which is what I don't understand.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
how does one tell driveshaft vibration from let say, wheel balance or alignment. My car was fine but now at around 80-85 it picks up vibration in the wheel, so I thought it was balance / alignment, but also in the gas pedal which is what I don't understand.
Good question. Driveshafts are balanced from the factory never really heard of one going out of balance but I am used to Japanese cars.

Vibrations are usually wheel balance or tire related. My experience if a wheel is balanced badly you usually feel it around 50 and at higher speeds it goes away. If it appears at high speed its often a tire.

So it can be a guessing game but every issue I had was bearing or wheel related in the end.

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
In the V6 Stang threads there are numerous driveshaft issues, some of
the "fixes" for them are a hose clamp on the driveshaft.......

OP
OP
Screamer

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
Totally different than a wheel balance issue.a wheel is a low frequency shake. a driveshaft issue is a high speed buzz or Humming that can be felt in the shifter. The driveshaft turns almost four times faster than a wheel.

SixSpdCyclone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
see signature
I experienced a driveline vibration, as well. The dealership put the car on a stand and took some measurements and sent them to Ford for analysis. Turned out that the driveshaft was installed incorrectly and had to be "turned over", or disconnected from the differential rotated 180 degrees.

Sponsored

usnbrendon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brendon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Thank God, someone else out there can corroborate this phenomenon...
I'm so sick of the Dealership charging me $149.95 to diagnose this damn problem repeatedly, only to claim they can't replicate the problem. Last time they added friction modifier to the rear differential telling me this has resolved similar issues with some 2015 & newer Mustangs. I was skeptical, but that had correctly diagnosed the had passenger side control arm & it turns out they replaced both during that service. The friction modifier made ZERO difference, so that ended up being an EXPENSIVE trial & error that incidentally, has to be what prompted a previously spotless differential housing & seal/boot to now leak like a damn sieve!

As for the lazy ass technicians and the shop foreman who cannot seem to spot / feel CLEAR & UNMISTAKABLE EVIDENCE OF DRIVETRAIN / DRIVESHAFT IMBALANCE, I'm at a bit of a loss. The shaking in the steering wheel becomes pronounced starting at 77-78 and it worsens rapidly up through 90mph, with the most disconcerting & annoying vibrating/shaking occurring at 85mph.

In my 2015 GT Premium (which is EXACTLY the same color and options, including the 20" rims as my 2016 replacement) I was NEVER afraid to get into that throttle or to really toss her around in the twisties or on the oval. She was super well mannered for being in stock trim & unmodded at the time she got creamed & totaled last January. Always.....I mean, always felt solid, reliable, predictable and not the least bit unsettling even under heavy throttle at 120-140ish in sport shift mode when I smoked a Lexus that still had dealer paper tags on it!

This 2016 I got to replace my 2015 was previously owned by one woman, she was Indian, extremely on her church and at the college in Oklahoma where she taught. The entire maintenance history was available and the Carfax was pristine. Still, I had a private mechanic & a body expert thoroughly look the car over and drive it. Unfortunately, they, like myself avoided the bumper to bumper rush hour traffic on the east-west interstate and the main north-south highway which were at a completed standstill. Instead, we kept our test drive(s) to back roads and never got above 55 (eh, 60ish max) in the heavily patrolled 45 mph zones along our route. God, I regret that because I didn't drive it home from the dealership due to having to take mother-in-law home because she cannot drive after dark. Thus, it wasn't until the following day late afternoon that I personally drove the car from my home down to Fort Worth and really opened her up while on the open tollway! Holy fucking shit........the most uneasy, and anxious feeling came over me as the needle passed 70mph ......this 2016 felt odd. Really odd. Then as it climbed beyond 75 & 80, I realized spare change inside my zippered backpack sitting on the passenger seat was rattling ferociously ......responding to the exact vibrations I felt conveyed thru the steering wheel, but also up the seat back and basically in the seat of my pants, as well as more subtle but matching oscillations / vibrations passed from the accelerator to the sole of my sneaker.

At 90, I pulled out of the throttle with a quickness!! Hell no. This was NOT the same car. Not by a long shot. This thing felt squirrelly, jittery, seriously disagreeable and that fucking shake.....that was NOT a confidence building sensation. It in fact, was nearly my reason for taking the car back and tossing them then the keys and telling them to kiss my ass for trying to sell me someone's wrecked or thrashed out Stang--which I felt had to be the case.

How could the most popular & largest Kia dealership pick that car up from a rural Ford Dealership who sent it to auction to move it off their lot after it sat there 8 months and didn't sell. Kia put four brand new tires on it, balanced & aligned it. They changed oil despite the Ford dealership having done it 25 miles prior! It was spotless, save for one teeny tiny gravel chip.on the front lip of the hood above the bumper seal (where the latch is) and one more on the driver's side roof just past the windshield by 1". No curb checks to the rims. It was perfect.

Except that it wasn't. I can't get anywhere with Ford. Hell I got so damn mad with everyone who works at Kia and Ford refusing to take the car up to 75-80 (preferably 85) despite my permission and willingness to sign a waiver just to have them get it up to speed to FEEL THAT BIZARRE SHAKING that I am confident is coming from the drive shaft and/or the shaft AND differential.

So, yeah, they rape me with mandatory diagnostics fees only to say that they can't reproduce what I'm complaining about!

WTH? A problem that NEVER goes away, never fades, never behaves any differently regardless of weather conditions, highway surface, whether I'm in Sport+ mode vs Normal or Wet Traction and regardless of whether I have a passenger in the car with me.....
A problem they CAN'T REPRODUCE?!?

Seriously? It's so simple it's maddening, but I'm not a mechanic and I don't have sufficient evidence or confidence to go in there and demand that they just do.......X, Y & Z.....knowing it will finally resolve this crap that's gone on 14 months now.

Anyone with the patience to teach this willing Mustang enthusiast a bit about the correct terminology and some background on this area of the car's mechanicals, I'm willing and eager to learn! Also, if anyone has EXPERIENCE with successfully resolving this issue in a 2015-2017 Mustang GT (perhaps even the EcoBoost model applies), PLEASE PROVIDE ME DETAILS so I can get going on the right direction. It is my understanding that Ford made modifications to the drive shaft & rear differential in 2018 onwards that all but wiped out this problem, which was common prior to 2018. Is this true and if all, why is one of the largest dealerships in the Dallas Metroplex acting as if I'm speaking Slavic or... smoking crack laced with DMT??

It's pissing me off. 2015 rode lime she was literally on rails! 2016 rides like the sketchiest hooptie in the theme park....not that baddest ass roller coaster in town. SMH

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
If vibration is speed dependent and not rpm dependent, it could still be wheel vibration. pushing the clutch in does not mean anything, as wheels AND driveshaft still spin. The only telltale would be the the rhythm, as the shaft spins much quicker than wheels at that speeds I think?

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Strange. I woulda thought balancing the DS is RPM dependent. Since that's how they're balanced at the aftermarket places like QA1.
Sponsored