Sponsored

2018 GT PP1 - MT 82 Question

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
Hey Guys,

I have a 2018 GT PP1 with the famous MT82. I bought this car used a couple months ago. The car currently has about 8,500 miles on it. This is definitely an interesting manual transmission. I've read about many of the issues this transmission has had over the years. I wanted to ask you about my personal experience. I have noticed especially over the last week or so, the shifter has been extremely notchy trying to go from 2nd to 3rd gear. It's not locking me out of 3rd gear or grinding, but after I get ready to click it into 3rd, I have a considerable amount of bad feedback in the shifter as it clicks into 3rd gear. I sat at a stop sign this evening and pushed the clutch pedal in and did several mock shifts from 3rd to 4th over and over again up and down.

Immediately after that, it seemed like it loosened up the shifter then the car shifted as well as it's ever shifted from 2nd to 3rd and it was super smooth until I parked the car for the night. I still have about 1 1/2 years left on the cars original warranty. I planned to bring the car in at around 10,000 miles for some general maintenance and an oil change, but I'm debating as to whether or not I should bring it in before then and have someone look over this transmission?

What do you guys think of this? Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Are you experiencing this notchy behavior when the car is cold or has only been running for a short time? If so, this is normal. The MT82 needs a fair amount of time to warm up and is going to be notchy during this warm-up period. Changing the gearbox fluid to BG Syncro Shift 2 will help make it better. I will be doing this in the spring.

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you experiencing this notchy behavior when the car is cold or has only been running for a short time? If so, this is normal. The MT82 needs a fair amount of time to warm up and is going to be notchy during this warm-up period. Changing the gearbox fluid to BG Syncro Shift 2 will help make it better. I will be doing this in the spring.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I have noticed this when the car is cold. How long do you think is an appropriate amount of time for everything to heat up? I'll drive this thing to work a lot, which is when I started noticing it and that commute is about 15 min. A lot of straight line and many times not a ton of shifting involved. It would probably be heated up by the end of that trip?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I have noticed this when the car is cold. How long do you think is an appropriate amount of time for everything to heat up? I'll drive this thing to work a lot, which is when I started noticing it and that commute is about 15 min. A lot of straight line and many times not a ton of shifting involved. It would probably be heated up by the end of that trip?
Yeah, by the time you get to work it might just be starting to get to the sweet spot. I try to ignore anything the MT-82 does for at least the first 10 minutes of driving. It's the nature of the beast.

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
The BG Syncro Shift 2 makes a big difference, at least it did for me.

Sponsored

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

YoungGT18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all. I picked up a 2018 GT Premium, 6-speed, about 4 weeks ago that had 9,500 miles on it. Car was certified pre-owned and drove like a champ. However, fast forward 400 miles and I have already experienced the dreaded transmission problem. Day after Thanksgiving I was cruising on the interstate at 75 MPH for about 2 hours and exited the highway for a break....car would not shift out of 6th gear. Gear shift totally frozen in place. Clutch was engaging as it should but gear shift would not move. Called USAA and had it towed to a nearby Ford dealership....service manager said we can't even look at it until Monday. Nothing I could do but take the rental provided and continue on my trip. Got a call yesterday from same service manager stating they were tearing down the transmission to determine the cause of the failure....said the symptoms did not match any of the TSBs that Ford had distributed on the 2018 Mustang. Havent heard from them today. Has anyone else experienced this type of issue? Have read about the shift fork issue but this seems more like a synchronizer issue.

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, by the time you get to work it might just be starting to get to the sweet spot. I try to ignore anything the MT-82 does for at least the first 10 minutes of driving. It's the nature of the beast.
That's very possible. I also wanted to let you know about something I just tried doing a few days ago and it's really worked. After starting the car, while stopped I push the clutch in and move the shifter from 3rd to 4th gear up and down about 3-4 times. This process takes about 2 entire seconds to complete. After doing that, the car has shifted smoothly from 2nd to 3rd gear until I turn the car off and start all over again. For some reason it's like giving the actual shifter a very quick warmup changes it dramatically and the car shifts really smooth. Definitely really weird, but that's what I have done and now the car has been shifting really smoothly. What do you think of that? It's pretty crazy.
Sponsored