Sponsored

684 Hp from 2.3 Ecoboost

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I would love to have a RS pull up to me and gap me with 684hp. I love those little Focus's and the drivers are great. I talked to a RS owner this summer and he was giving up his car to get married and he looked like he was going to cry. They love their cars. 684 is going to equate to like 560 to the wheels. that's silly on that little car.
All I can say is I like the RS so much I bought two. It is truly a car you have to drive to understand just how good it is.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Build what you want. It's your money. Never really cared what produced the power. I wouldn't like losing to a Veyron any more than to a hyper powered 4 banger.

Shewantsthe5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT, 2014 Black Jeep SRT
Why would you need a built Coyote block? The Coyote can handle that power figure consistently on stock motor. Buy the GT and put a blower and tune on it. That's it! Save the built Coyote block money for other mods.

It's impressive to make that much power on an I4, but hardly anyone has the mods that Mountune does. For the money they put into the ecoboost car, you could have a GT easily.
It was more of why not just get a gt if your gonna spend that much money to get 700hp.

You need to checkout the Mountune site. There’s a whole world of hi-performance cars out there that do not revolve around a V8. It’s not about the money. A built Focus RS costs a pretty penny. Nothing “budget” about it. It’s about small lightweight cars with tons of power and handling finesse. As Mustang enthusiasts we have the option to go either way. Coyote, VooDoo, or HPP, we can have whatever level of performance we want.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. That said almost every EB post goes immediately to a GT owner commenting on why the EB is inferior in some way. It tends to move the direction of the post away from its intended purpose.
No knocking the ecoboost its a great car/engine I was simply stating that why would spend so much money on the same platform when you could spend less to achieve the same results. Sure the ecoboost weighs less and feels lighter up front because it is. Also the focus isn't what I'd call a lightweight car with finesse. 3,434 lbs roughly 100 lbs lighter than a gt and the GT does better lap times. My only point was I personally don't understand why put all the money in the EB when you just start with a better starting engine.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Also the focus isn't what I'd call a lightweight car with finesse. 3,434 lbs roughly 100 lbs lighter than a gt
I agree Ford should be embarrassed.
My only point was I personally don't understand why put all the money in the EB when you just start with a better starting engine.
Because this is a thread about the EB and value is in the eye of the beholder. No one is pointing a gun at your head and demanding you engage in such "senseless" expenditure against your will.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
It was more of why not just get a gt if your gonna spend that much money to get 700hp.

No knocking the ecoboost its a great car/engine I was simply stating that why would spend so much money on the same platform when you could spend less to achieve the same results. Sure the ecoboost weighs less and feels lighter up front because it is. Also the focus isn't what I'd call a lightweight car with finesse. 3,434 lbs roughly 100 lbs lighter than a gt and the GT does better lap times. My only point was I personally don't understand why put all the money in the EB when you just start with a better starting engine.
Well, mainly because the GT is a dry sunny day car. The RS is an everyday performance car. How's the GT in a downpour? Snow?

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
For those asking about fueling, Mountune is running a 30% larger XDI HPFP and larger injectors on E30. It is *DI only* making that power, which is impressive.

OP
OP
Bear376

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
It is a challenge to have parity with the V8s and people like to have the ability to beat the cars that get the peanut gallery slobbering. I will always love a V8, but the Ecoboosts have a lot going for them. Considering how easy it is to get almost 400 hp without losing reliability, and at a lower cost than boosting a Coyote, you can have a Ecoboost that can beat a stock V8. and not break the bank. The only downside is that it may require E30.

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)

My only point was I personally don't understand why put all the money in the EB when you just start with a better starting engine.
Better engine is a subjective thing once you throw heavy modding into the mix. Stock for stock yeah sure a Coyote is a better engine, but when you going to start building up from the block then its just preference.

Many people prefer building a turbo 4 platform, because its what they have experience with, less cylinders less parts, smaller engine to deal with, many DIY'ers have tons of experience with Turbo 4s due to how common they are across the brands, whereas not many affordable cars are coming with DOHC V8s so many modders in the scene just arent comfortable working with them.
Lots of the guys building big power Ecoboosts are coming from a background of cars like Focus ST, Golf GTI, Subaru WRX, Nissan 240SX, Civic Type R so its quite a simple transition to work on the ecoboost.
Most of these guys really have no interest or plan building a V8, they just want a cheap RWD starting platform with a turbo 4 motor and the Ecoboosts tick all those boxes with the advantage that they arent as old as the 240SX and such which are quite hard to find now, getting them to 400HP is quite a bit of effort whereas 400HP is simple on Ecoboost and also daily driveable with virtually no issues.
Sponsored