Front End Ticking Noise

Trinhd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Hi everyone, I noticed that I get this ticking noise from the front end, usually after driving it. Is this the sound of piston slap? Wondering if it's normal. Thanks!

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
nope, not that... not sure what it is but it's weird. Is that at hot and cold ? Could it be exhaust expanding as it heats up?

OP
OP
Trinhd

Trinhd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
nope, not that... not sure what it is but it's weird. Is that at hot and cold ? Could it be exhaust expanding as it heats up?
I haven't noticed it on cold start up, but I can try and listen for it tomorrow. This was after a 10-15 min drive, car was up to temp and ambient temp was around 70F.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't noticed it on cold start up, but I can try and listen for it tomorrow. This was after a 10-15 min drive, car was up to temp and ambient temp was around 70F.
You can sometimes work out the source of the noise if you rest a long socket extension against the suspect (i.e. engine) and put it on your ear; you can see if noise is louder or not... I would put it up on ramps and see if I can source if it's coming from the engine or not... it did sound at the end to be in the same rhythm as engine but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
Trinhd

Trinhd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
You can sometimes work out the source of the noise if you rest a long socket extension against the suspect (i.e. engine) and put it on your ear; you can see if noise is louder or not... I would put it up on ramps and see if I can source if it's coming from the engine or not... it did sound at the end to be in the same rhythm as engine but I could be wrong.
So an update so far: I haven't been able to get the ramps from my friend yet, but it sounds like it's coming from my motor? It sounds like it sped up when I revved it a bit. Any ideas? Anyone else encounter this?

Sponsored

Narwaniec594

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
17 Gt350
Is it still when engine off?
I have similar noise, after "faster" driving:devil:, when i get home, park it, engine off, and you can hear cracking, like from exhaust but really loud

OP
OP
Trinhd

Trinhd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Is it still when engine off?
I have similar noise, after "faster" driving:devil:, when i get home, park it, engine off, and you can hear cracking, like from exhaust but really loud
No this only happens with the engine on. I definitely get the same noise you are, but that's from the exhaust being hot and expanding.

OP
OP
Trinhd

Trinhd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
So after more research and help from other groups, this sounds identical to the "typewriter" tick that people are getting on the coyote 5.0s. Anyone else experience this and know of a solution? I fear that bring it to the dealer would only net me a "it's normal" response.

Tmm113

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT California Special, 2018 GMC Sierra 1500
So after more research and help from other groups, this sounds identical to the "typewriter" tick that people are getting on the coyote 5.0s. Anyone else experience this and know of a solution? I fear that bring it to the dealer would only net me a "it's normal" response.
I have the same typewriter tick. Took it to the dealer and they said it’s normal. They gave me a copy of the SSM from ford saying it’s normal too. A lot of people on here have it as well. No source has been found yet.
image.jpg

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
Dennis, any update?
Mine started developing a typewriter like tick this weekend. Worse at cold but still there at idling after a half hour drive. Oil is at top - it better be - I'm at 180 miles. Damn.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Dennis, any update?
Mine started developing the typewriter tick this weekend. Worse at cold but still there at idling after a half hour drive. Oil is at top - it better be - I'm at 180 miles. Damn.
What year is your car?

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
Built last days of July...I dunno - sounds like a ticky teletype to me but maybe its always been that way & I just haven't noticed. Its only been really in my hands for a month since getting out of paint correction 9/5 and work has been heavy or other burdens kept me from a lot of run time with it. Maybe its just DI pump noise - there's a lot going on under the hood of a direct-injected complicated 4-valve setup like this but this seemed different & like a noisy sewing machine all of a sudden from the outside and then under-hood where I've spent less time listening I'll admit. I need comparisons op-eds from the crew here.

I never knew I had OCD until this car...jeeze.
(the passenger's side strut seeming to be in a weird extreme neg camber location, a scratch on the windshield, and a small but annoying dent at this point in the honeymoon is also distracting but is suddenly minor compared to noisy motor sounds). LOL...along with a track attack day & swag they should offer therapy sessions too. ;-)

Last edited:

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Built last days of July...I dunno - sounds like a ticky teletype to me but maybe its always been that way & I just haven't noticed. Its only been really in my hands for a month since getting out of paint correction 9/5 and work has been heavy or other burdens kept me from a lot of run time with it. Maybe its just DI pump noise - there's a lot going on under the hood of a direct-injected complicated 4-valve setup like this but this seemed different & like a noisy sewing machine all of a sudden from the outside and then under-hood where I've spent less time listening I'll admit. I need comparisons op-eds from the crew here.

(the passenger's side strut seeming to be in a weird extreme neg camber location, a scratch on the windshield, and a small but annoying dent at this point in the honeymoon is also distracting but is suddenly minor compared to noisy motor sounds). LOL...along with a track attack day & swag they should offer therapy sessions too. ;-)
That sound is very different from what we would have associated with rod or piston noise in previous Ford engines.

CliffClavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van down by the river

The GT350 engines are all port injected are they not? I thought it was only the newer GT's that were direct and port injected.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
The GT350 engines are all port injected are they not? I thought it was only the newer GT's that were direct and port injected.
No, it is not direct injected, and thanks god for that. I did not enjoy taking off the intake manifold and all the plethora of parts for the valve cleaning on my BMW.
Sponsored