Factory PP1 spoiler coming off

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Just noticed that both sides of my 2019 OEM spoiler are starting to lift off on the ends. Only 3100kms on the car. The adhesive tape has split at the sides of the trunk and at the corners facing the rear window. I noticed this today. A day after I washed the car. I noticed the spoiler making a squishing sound as I lightly pressed down on it. Saw water oozing out from the gap. The ends do not feel securely attached to the trunk anymore. Has this happened to anyone else with a factory installed PP1 spoiler? Not sure if I want to take it to a dealer or try to fix it myself.
20190916_211525.jpg
20190916_211454.jpg
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I'd be willing to wager that any dealer isn't going to fix it as well as you could.

I've had mine off twice and I don't know what tape Ford uses, but it's a faded grey color vs. the black 3M double-sided tape and it doesn't seem as thick or as good as the 3M. I also don't think they properly aligned the bolt-holes when they designed the car because if you just crank the bolts down, it still doesn't sit flat, but you can try that first (loosen the bolts further back a touch and then tighten the forward ones). And quite frankly, a piece like this shouldn't be held down by tape. The tape should be there as a sealant and a buffer to prevent rubbing between the trunk and spoiler.

If you're worried about it becoming an issue down the road, you'll have to take it off, remove all of the OEM shit (make sure to note where the OEM tape sits inside the footprint so you can put new/good tape back in the same exact spot). You'll have to take the nuts off the 6? bolts holding it down (IIRC, they're 7mm) with a deep-socket ratchet. I cut between the spoiler and trunk with a sharp fillet knife, but the fishing line trick could also work. Remember the bolts are attached to the spoiler feet so you'll have to cut around them as best as you can, but you won't get it all and you'll still have to yank it off a bit.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I think I'll repair it myself. Like you said, the dealer isn't going to do as good a job. They have time constraints and have to use the materials and procedures provided by Ford. If this is the grey tape then that is half the problem. I found a source for 12" x 12" sheets of 3M VHB black tape. I'll make some tracings and reproduce the shape of the original tape.

The ends of the spoiler have a single bolt on each end, a registration pin and a plastic retainer. The bolt is towards the rear and it looks like when that bolt is torqued down it wants to lift the front edge of the spoiler up. The tape is under constant strain it's no wonder it failed.

I now have another project for when my car is put away for the winter.
Sponsored