Sponsored

Quality Issue in my 2018 GT Premium or Normal?

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Y'all notice the weirdest things... I've had my car for 3 years and this is the first time I've noticed the chrome surround on my shifter is also bubbled
Sponsored

86pagt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Went to the dealer Friday, they took pictures to send to Ford and also put one on order. I should know something Wednesday or Thursday.

myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
nope, mines stitched...on both sides of course.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I posted the below from a previous thread, Re: quality control:

Trust me when I say this: As proud as the UAW is of Flat Rock and quality (and again, no factory anywhere in the world, Domestic or Import, is perfect) quality is a real issue at Flat Rock.

Ask some of the early MY15 model Mustang owners - it was bad. Some had mismatched interior door trim (one door was correct, the other completely different) meant for a different model - there are a handful of other issues. You can search it.

Two Recent Examples:
1. 2019 GT350R
Recently, a dealer (Town & Country Ford) with a 2019 GT350R. Vid showed some interior footage. So, for those who aren't aware, for MY19, GT350s now include the stitched center console that first debuted with MY2018 refresh.
GT350 should get silver stitching.
GT350R should get red stitching. This GT350R with silver stitching on the center console, and meanwhile, the the "knee pads" and steering wheel had red stitching. And of course, red is meant to coordinate with the red-trim Recaros on the GT350R.

Around the 5:11 mark
(Whoever buys this, I hope they see this error and negotiate away the ADM on this lol...)

2. Mustang GT PP2
The PP2, for those who don't know, among other exterior stuff like the splitter, has a unique low-profile rear spoiler. What did I see a dealer (Andy Mohr) have in stock? A White GT PP2, and it had the PP1 pedestal rear spoiler installed. I checked the window sticker to see if possibly this was a special order unit and someone specc'd the PP1 spoiler. Nope.

1-jpg.jpg
2-2-jpg.jpg
3-jpg.jpg
11-5-jpg.jpg

ws-png.png

Actual PP2 Spoiler for reference:
b_5b6491676dad4_121479558_2019_ford_mustang-jpg.jpg

And my Mustang? I have a black PP2. Factory paint. I see small dust specks here and there. And no, it wasn't repainted, or damaged during transport and repainted before put up for sale. All factory. I checked every panel, checked for over-spray, checked for masking, checked for all other clues. All original factory paint. I know I'm not the only one. My buddy has a '17 GT Ruby Red. Same...
Despite all this, love these cars. Like some have said, take it and laugh - as long as the dealer fixes it lol
Over the top didn't make it on the rear spoiler. Is that normal too?

Sponsored

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Premium Vert
Wow - if there’s that many QC issues as noted, why even carry through with the deal or take delivery of the truck? I would have immediately passed on the deal upon seeing that nonsense.
Because nothing is obvious on pickup. I looked the truck over everywhere when we picked it up and didn’t see anything other than factory trim flaws on A and B pillar. I finally got the dealer to order new trim and ship it to me after fighting for 2 months, and that was documented on delivery. I didn’t notice the seat belt issue until I noticed the scratches on the console 2 months later. You don’t see all the problems until you really scrutinize the vehicle on the first wax when you’re right next to it with clay bar trying to get the little tar specs off. By that time it was too late to reverse deal. I think it’s pretty common on all Fords now from reading forums. The Mustang isn’t nearly as bad as the truck. It just pisses you off that there are any obvious flaws with what cars cost now.

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Premium Vert
If the glove box creak isn’t too bad, I’d live with it- depending on what kind of “tech” gets assigned the service ticket/RO, many these days are sloppy. I’ve heard other guys have their glovebox looked at and not only did it sound worse, it was all scratched up.
The glove box scratches if you look at it wrong. Our 2018 was a demo and I think the dealer owner who drove it used the glove box as a cockfight stage. Lol There is no fixing it with a heat gun either like you can do with other trim plastic. It changes the color and turns shiny as soon as you heat it. I ended up replacing ours with one from a junkyard it bothered me so much. New from Ford is nearly 900 bucks thanks to the knee “airbag” that’s not really an airbag but a deployable pad.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The glove box scratches if you look at it wrong. Our 2018 was a demo and I think the dealer owner who drove it used the glove box as a cockfight stage. Lol There is no fixing it with a heat gun either like you can do with other trim plastic. It changes the color and turns shiny as soon as you heat it. I ended up replacing ours with one from a junkyard it bothered me so much. New from Ford is nearly 900 bucks thanks to the knee “airbag” that’s not really an airbag but a deployable pad.
Agreed!

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Because nothing is obvious on pickup. I looked the truck over everywhere when we picked it up and didn’t see anything other than factory trim flaws on A and B pillar. I finally got the dealer to order new trim and ship it to me after fighting for 2 months, and that was documented on delivery. I didn’t notice the seat belt issue until I noticed the scratches on the console 2 months later. You don’t see all the problems until you really scrutinize the vehicle on the first wax when you’re right next to it with clay bar trying to get the little tar specs off. By that time it was too late to reverse deal. I think it’s pretty common on all Fords now from reading forums. The Mustang isn’t nearly as bad as the truck. It just pisses you off that there are any obvious flaws with what cars cost now.
I consider myself very detail-oriented and even so, you're absolutely right, in that, you can't pick everything up in terms of flaws, until you have the unit for a while. It's just the way it is.
It's the way it was for my 19 GT, from the dealer, it was a showroom car - I wanted to make myself aware of any factory flaws or marks from it being a showroom unit, before I signed the deal. (I wasn't expecting it to be perfect) I thought I caught them all, walking around it over and over. Still saw more once I brought it home.
Just helped my rents buy a slightly used 18 accord 1.5 manual trans - went around the car over and over, looking for the flaws to be aware of. And again, after some days with it, saw more still.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I consider myself lucky, my glove box door is unscratched. *cough* With the exception of the glove box rattle, which is inaudible with an audio volume of <1, and my missing knee pad (which will hopefully be fixed soon), the car does seem to be fairly well built.

Sponsored
OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
To all those interested, I took my car to Gary Yeoman's on Wednesday (after scheduling an appointment a long time ago) and they had it for two and a half hours... And did nothing. They took my car into the shop, where it sat untouched by the window until they took it back around the front where it was dropped. My service guy then talked to me for about 3 minutes with several other service people and said that it would be tricky to get the new knee pad because factory defects are only covered when the car is NEW. He said that Ford requires any part swap to have the IDENTICAL part sent back to the factory... The problem being that my part is not identical. He said that they will try to tell Ford that I had never noticed a difference because I don't sit in my passenger seat, but they gave me no assurances it would work. If they do get the part, it would be covered under warranty.

86pagt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I called my dealer on Tuesday, I was told the pictures were sent to Ford and a new panel was put on order. I’ll keep you updated when mine arrives.

Dale

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
To all those interested, I took my car to Gary Yeoman's on Wednesday (after scheduling an appointment a long time ago) and they had it for two and a half hours... And did nothing. They took my car into the shop, where it sat untouched by the window until they took it back around the front where it was dropped. My service guy then talked to me for about 3 minutes with several other service people and said that it would be tricky to get the new knee pad because factory defects are only covered when the car is NEW. He said that Ford requires any part swap to have the IDENTICAL part sent back to the factory... The problem being that my part is not identical. He said that they will try to tell Ford that I had never noticed a difference because I don't sit in my passenger seat, but they gave me no assurances it would work. If they do get the part, it would be covered under warranty.
This is typical dealer bullshit tomfoolery. What a disgrace, these people - sorry to hear you go through this. They say factory errors are only when the car is new? What a load of fuckery. This is a warranty issue. To be covered by your 3 yr basic.
This is what you do - go to another dealer, show them the problem again. Say you have a warranty issue. Say you only noticed this recently because its hard to catch, but is obviously a factory error. The service writer will need to take pics for the warranty RO, and send it to get approved. Ask them to do this (if it looks like they wont). They will need to take down your VIN for the Warranty submission. And, in so doing, this will show what equipment your car was built with - and this includes premier stitch.
Typical dealer fuckery.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I called my dealer on Tuesday, I was told the pictures were sent to Ford and a new panel was put on order. I’ll keep you updated when mine arrives.

Dale
This should be what’s happening to OP.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
This is typical dealer bullshit tomfoolery. What a disgrace, these people - sorry to hear you go through this. They say factory errors are only when the car is new? What a load of fuckery. This is a warranty issue. To be covered by your 3 yr basic.
This is what you do - go to another dealer, show them the problem again. Say you have a warranty issue. Say you only noticed this recently because its hard to catch, but is obviously a factory error. The service writer will need to take pics for the warranty RO, and send it to get approved. Ask them to do this (if it looks like they wont). They will need to take down your VIN for the Warranty submission. And, in so doing, this will show what equipment your car was built with - and this includes premier stitch.
Typical dealer fuckery.
I’m 100% with Eric on this. Call or go see Jeromie Allan, the GM. Tell him how his service department is screwing with you. Nicely tell him you want this resolved now or you are going to contact Ford. And then do it if you have too.
Sponsored