Spare track wheels/tires options for my R

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Spoke to the dealer and my sales man, they obviously say there is no way they painted or did anything to cover the white thermal barrier. So something happened, and I’ll find out. One of my good neighbor friends is a retired exec at ford and knows everyone who is anyone with ford performance and multimatic. This has me worried somehow the coating could have been missed in production and I’m going to crack the carbon with repeated track days, but that also doesn’t explain why not stickers on the inside of the wheels either.
I had a very long conversation with Carbon Revolutions about this matter. The ceramic is overkill due to a Ford specification. Ford tested the brakes to failure and determined the ceramic was needed under those conditions. We are talking such high temps that the brakes completely failed. It was also relayed to me that normally a ceramic coating is not installed on non Ford OEM wheels. I think you are fine, but I would get the wheels replaced under warranty if indeed you find that somehow CR didn't coat your barrels with ceramic and Ford missed it. However, from a collectors standpoint, you have a very, very rare condition and the CF wheels are forever serialized to your car.

Something to think about.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I swapped fronts and took some photos of the inside barrels of my original cf wheels. First, they do have the stickers just like all the other wheels and there are unique numbers, presumable serials as Tom says, from carbon revolutions. Second, It does look like the white adhesive material is there, you can tell the texture difference and rise where it’s on, but it’s almost unnoticeably black on both the spokes and the barrel unlike the spares I just got. Granted this car has done some solid track work and 3700 miles, but it can’t be just brake dust — I can’t rub any of it off to make the white adhesive more white again. At this point, I’m not going to worry about it.

Side note, my new cf wheels’ tires have date code 1218 on the rears and 0916 on the front, so either this was from a very new car that randomly got a little older front tires (and the guy likely put some dubs on to look cool) or someone liked to do line lock lol. All treads seem 90%+. FWIW I am currently running late 2015 tires from a eBay deal I got $200 each and do not notice any difference vs the brand new ones that came with my car. Track temps and material make way more of a difference.

Photos of my front wheels and the white ones I just got...
2E6BF968-6567-4644-B9FF-DCE3F60934C8.jpeg
2D598DB5-5C67-4391-9DBB-03DC4F159777.jpeg
DAA42F39-F037-49FC-A589-DCBE20298F57.jpeg
95175624-E871-4054-A51F-CEAABE32CF08.jpeg
9A6C16A2-FA28-44F1-A5D7-78CC148D97B1.jpeg

Edward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Lightning
My guess is that they were always ceramic coated; but the OP just never noticed. And now they're caked with brake dust. The easiest way to check would be to peek at the back of the spokes. They're probably still white since dust doesn't collect as much there.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My guess is that they were always ceramic coated; but the OP just never noticed. And now they're caked with brake dust. The easiest way to check would be to peek at the back of the spokes. They're probably still white since dust doesn't collect as much there.
I think you've got it. There are some brake pad brands that produce highly corrosive dust that gets stuck on the wheel surface. It turns hard like cement and won't come off if it ever gets wet. This kinda looks like that. The factory Ferodo's don't seem to do it, but there are plenty of aftermarket brands that do.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I think you've got it. There are some brake pad brands that produce highly corrosive dust that gets stuck on the wheel surface. It turns hard like cement and won't come off if it ever gets wet. This kinda looks like that. The factory Ferodo's don't seem to do it, but there are plenty of aftermarket brands that do.
No, again I bought the car new, dealer says no way was there a ceremic coating done (for washing ease) and I’ve used 100% (3 sets now) of front oem brake pads.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
No, again I bought the car new, dealer says no way was there a ceremic coating done (for washing ease) and I’ve used 100% (3 sets now) of front oem brake pads.
Fascinating. Oh well - the rims seem to have the ceramic liner under whatever is covering it, so there's no problem.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, the ceramic is there. You can see it. It's just filthy. I can see ceramic on the spokes. Grab a bucket of water with carwash detergent and use a soft rag and go over it. It usually cleans up pretty well. Do not use a bristle brush, it will scratch the daylights out of your paint. Be careful, the brake dust is abrasive. The paint on the face of your wheel is easily scratched

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R, Acura RDX
I just did a track weekend with my carbons and after peeling the rubber off the wheels I used sonax wheel cleaner and wiped them very carefully and the white ceramic came back as it was filthy black like those after the weekend. That’s a good deal on a set of carbons. I use the SV502's from Signature for the street and my carbons for trackdays.

Last edited:

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
I just did a track weekend with my carbons and after peeling the rubber off the wheels I used sonex wheel cleaner and wiped them very carefully and the white ceramic cane back as it was filthy black like those after the weekend. That’s a good deal on a set of carbons. I use the SV502S from Signature for the street and my carbons for trackdays.
What tires and size are you running on the SV502s ?

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R, Acura RDX
I had a left over set of 305 hankooks that are not the greatest fit but bought another set of cup2s for my carbons for next year. Anyways 305/30/19s. I plan to get 325/30/19 R and 315/30/19 F next year as these are my street wheels.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know someone selling a near new set (like 200 road miles) of oem carbon wheels and cup 2 Tires’s off his R (he doesn’t track and wanted a different style). He’s wants $10k, I might be able to buy them a little cheaper, at least enough to offset shipping costs. If anyone is interested PM me and I’ll get photos from him.

FWIW, I already have a spare set and my cracked rim is $6400 from ford before tax, but I’m 99.9% my wheel and tire warranty will cover that or I’ll probably buy this set and just try to sell an individual rim or 3 to someone else who had a one wheel issue and recoupe some of the cost. Always need more track tires and there’s $1600 worth of tires as well.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I know someone selling a near new set (like 200 road miles) of oem carbon wheels and cup 2 Tires’s off his R (he doesn’t track and wanted a different style). He’s wants $10k, I might be able to buy them a little cheaper, at least enough to offset shipping costs. If anyone is interested PM me and I’ll get photos from him.

FWIW, I already have a spare set and my cracked rim is $6400 from ford before tax, but I’m 99.9% my wheel and tire warranty will cover that or I’ll probably buy this set and just try to sell an individual rim or 3 to someone else who had a one wheel issue and recoupe some of the cost. Always need more track tires and there’s $1600 worth of tires as well.
Don't sell a spare until you hear from me ...
Sponsored