Sponsored

Mustang Vs Camaro -Jalopnik

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Sadly, Ford thought it was fun to build anemic Mustangs at that time.

Glad to see that rectified.
And Chevy thought it was a good idea to stick the catalyst hump into the passenger compartment lol everything about that car was a turd compared to the mustang of the same era, but none of that matters when you're 17 and all you care about it light to light ass kicking. If I was 27 and was buying a car, back then I would have chosen the mustang.
Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've had many a Camaro and a couple of Mustangs.

I had an 1982 Camaro Berlinetta. 305/5-speed. Worst car I've ever owned, by far. I couldn't even sell it, it was that bad. And the US/Metric speedometer was so stupid how it was setup.

Then, after not learning a thing, I bought a 1988 Camaro SS with the same anemic 305 engine and a 5-speed. I refused to get the 350/A4 because, well, it was missing a pedal.

Realizing that if I wanted a stick, and something that was fast, I bought an '89 LX 5.0 Hatch. I had many a great years with that car even though I rode it hard and put it back wet. Never had so many people try to race me.

Then, when the 4th gen F-body's came out, I bought two Z28's - both LT1-powered 94's. One was an A4 with a shift kit and the other was an M6 with 4:11's and the LT4 Hot Cam. Both were great cars with horrible brakes. The M6 car tried to kill me, so she was renamed "Christine". The A4 was swapped over to 98+ LS twin-piston calipers after the near death experience.

I went a long time with no pony cars until I picked up my current car a year ago. I cross shopped a 3rd gen Viper as well as a 6th gen Camaro. The Camaro is a better car on paper, and definitely is faster loafing around town, but there is something more fun about winding out an engine to get every last drop of power. The Camaro kind of dies as soon as the party gets started. Plus I have never liked the sound of Chevy engines. I don't know what kind of magic sauce Ford puts in their engines, but even the fox body 5.0L I had sounded so much better (To me). I liked that the Coyote responds extremely well to boost, and that is ultimately why I bought the mustang. I like the gunslit windows on the Camaro, but the rear end of the Camaro is ugly. The front ends are a tie for me. The Mustang looks a little bulbous to me, but the LED /// are pretty cool. Plus everything under the headlights looks better. The Camaro is more chiseled, but at the same time squished a bit. I looked at the 18+ Mustangs a lot. Had a dealer pull an '18 right next to a '17 and the salesman and I went over the cars for at least 20 minutes. In the end, I felt like the front of the 18+ looked a bit like a catfish to me, so I bought my '15. Plus Competition orange was discontinued.

They are both great cars, and first gen, if you ask me, the Camaro beat the snot out of the Mustang in looks - even though we have the Mustang to thank for the entire segment.

Although I complain about this often, shame on Ford though for the stupid bore spacing of the mod motor. They have to fight 4x as hard to make power because they didn't want to make a "long" engine and then subsequently because they were too cheap to change the tooling.

Of course, everything is personal preference.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
So, I own a 2016 GT/PP, and a 1986 Z/28 (that's big block swapped). I "inherited" the Camaro. Honestly, I don't particularly like driving it. Obviously, 30 years is a hell of a lot of development time, and the Mustang is WORLDS better than the Camaro. Regardless of age, big, slow revving V8s aren't really my thing. The last car I owned that wasn't DOHC was a 1988 Mercury Topaz, my very first car. Since then, I've had a Duratec Sable, a Duratec Taurus, a 3V Mustang, and now my Coyote. My wife's last four cars also were DOHC, relatively fast revving cars.

Besides that, the thing just doesn't fucking stop. And it's an automatic.

JR

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
You think the '19 SS looks better than the '19 GT? Really? That SS front end is so good GM only let it be around one model year. The update to the rear of the '19 SS looks better than the '16-18 SS, I'll give them that. But IMO no where near as good as the '18+ GT rear end.
I got to say after recently getting the 19ss the front splitter is definitely a must to make that front end look more aggressive..its funny everyone complains about the front end but my biggest problem with the styling it's a freaking location of the fuel door on the 6th gen Camaro. So out of place is the mustangs definitely at the peak of its styling with the 2018 and 19 gt350 , super Snake and gt500.. the tail lights are in improvement on the 19 Camaro but the 6th gen Mustang tail-lights are the best on road in my opinion.