Sponsored

Mustang Vs Camaro -Jalopnik

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
A year ago, I would have voted Camaro. Now since last fall when I got my '18 GT, I voted for Mustang. I must say, growing up a Camaro/Trans Am guy (having owned a 3rd gen Z28 and a modified '95 Trans Am w/ 340 rwhp), I saw the two cars as the following:

Looks: 1st gen - tie. After that, Camaro always looked better to me until the Mustang finally caught up to the Camaro in looks around 2012. But with the S550 the GT easily surpassed the Camaro in styling and looks.
Sound: The Mustang GT usually sounded better even though the Camaro usually had a more powerful engine.
Acceleration: The Camaro/Trans Am was usually faster, and I wasted many a 4th gen Mustang GTs in my 4th gen Trans Am.
Status: Even as a Camaro owner, I would have agreed that the Mustang was more recognizable and iconic. It was always the car in the movies/shows/etc. Camaro felt like an afterthought in comparison.
That said, as a kid, I loved the 3rd Gen IROC-Z, it was vastly better looking than the Fox body Mustang GTs.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
If you click on the vote box at the bottom of the article. It mimics sales pretty closely at about 3 to 1 Mustang

Camaroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 camaro ss
If you click on the vote box at the bottom of the article. It mimics sales pretty closely at about 3 to 1 Mustang
Always been an fbody guy. I've have multiple 3rd gens now have a 5th gen camaro. Best looking retro car out there is 10-13 camaro in my opinion. The ls and lt engines in 4th gens beat up on the 4.6s and 5.0s of the same year's. I wasn't impressed with mustang's until the coyote 5.0. They are badass, easy to boost the power, superior overhead cam design. It's such a close race nowadays. The new camaros are starting to look to squinty, but the new mustang's front end doesn't look like a mustang at all anymore either. Looks 10-13, camaro. 14-18 mustang, 19 plus back to camaro. Power, the coyote is winning, but on a road coarse I'd take the camaro. Comfort, mustang.

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Always been an fbody guy. I've have multiple 3rd gens now have a 5th gen camaro. Best looking retro car out there is 10-13 camaro in my opinion. The ls and lt engines in 4th gens beat up on the 4.6s and 5.0s of the same year's. I wasn't impressed with mustang's until the coyote 5.0. They are badass, easy to boost the power, superior overhead cam design. It's such a close race nowadays. The new camaros are starting to look to squinty, but the new mustang's front end doesn't look like a mustang at all anymore either. Looks 10-13, camaro. 14-18 mustang, 19 plus back to camaro. Power, the coyote is winning, but on a road coarse I'd take the camaro. Comfort, mustang.
I had a 99 Z, and I used to puppy kick Mustangs for years. They were beasts.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
You think the '19 SS looks better than the '19 GT? Really? That SS front end is so good GM only let it be around one model year. The update to the rear of the '19 SS looks better than the '16-18 SS, I'll give them that. But IMO no where near as good as the '18+ GT rear end.

Camaroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 camaro ss
You think the '19 SS looks better than the '19 GT? Really? That SS front end is so good GM only let it be around one model year. The update to the rear of the '19 SS looks better than the '16-18 SS, I'll give them that. But IMO no where near as good as the '18+ GT rear end.
The new mustang front ends killed them for me completely. I don't like the camaro front end either but i like it a lot better than the mustang. Just personal opinion =)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
In 2010 when the Camaro came out I thought the styling was great. And the first refresh was also pretty good. But they just keep doing the same thing ever since then and IMO it's gotten boring.

Of course IMO the 2010 Mustang is better looking. And the 2015+ Mustangs are a dramatic change plus also beautiful. The back is better than the front, but the front is good in my opinion.

Definitely Mustang wins in better styling for most years of the last 20. The 2005 Mustang is much better than the 2005 Camaro, for instance.

Camaroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 camaro ss
. The 2005 Mustang is much better than the 2005 Camaro, for instance.
For sure! since there was no Camaro in 2005 lol. the body style prior to 2005 for mustangs looked better than the camaros. But the WS6 Trans am with ram air front end wins that era (rear end was ugly tho)

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
The new mustang front ends killed them for me completely. I don't like the camaro front end either but i like it a lot better than the mustang. Just personal opinion =)
The new Mustang front ends got Ford a new car sale from me that they never got before!

Camaroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 camaro ss
The new Mustang front ends got Ford a new car sale from me that they never got before!
That's cool man. It's personal opinion. Congrats on the new ride enjoy it! I fear these cars aren't gonna be around much longer once electric starts taking over.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
For sure! since there was no Camaro in 2005 lol. the body style prior to 2005 for mustangs looked better than the camaros. But the WS6 Trans am with ram air front end wins that era (rear end was ugly tho)
I liked those Trans Ams as well. The Camaro in the early LS years was really bland looking in my opinion. It looked like a Chrysler product. I remember test driving one because the performance was really good, but the way I remember it the interior was total garbage as well. Those 90s Camaros were really cheaply built. I didn't love the Fox Mustang styling - I liked it - but they were a lot nicer inside than the Camaros of that time.