Is this what Rev hang is?

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I had a chance to drive a 2019 BMW X3 M40i for a bit, and I regret the experience because my 2019 Ecoboost PP1 does not feel the way it did.

Aside from German engineering's detail finish here and there inside of the cabin, the biggest difference I felt was the engine responsiveness.

As I stepped on the pedal, with absolutely no delay, it would rev up according to the pressure on the pedal and RPM went right down to idle when the foot is off the pedal.

Then I hopped back on my car, replicated the same, and :(

I know that the M40i is equipped with two more cylinders and produces about 40 more HP than Ecoboost, but the difference I saw and felt on the speedometer was explicit.

What would be the most effective way to feel the same from my stock automatic 2019 Ecoboost?
Sponsored

Deleted member

I know that the M40i is equipped with two more cylinders and produces about 40 more HP than Ecoboost, but the difference I saw and felt on the speedometer was explicit.

What would be the most effective way to feel the same from my stock automatic 2019 Ecoboost?
Just gonna throw a few things out there for ya.

1. The motor thats in the 340, is the same 6 bmw puts in the new z4, m140i(overseas), 440i, the new supra. They all get a variant of this 6, and it is notoriously underrated from BMW. Go and watch some dyno videos and you'll see that no matter which car it comes in, they are putting down more wheel horsepower than BMW is advertising at the crank. Something BMW has been doing for a long time. In reality that motor is putting out 390-430 at crank depending on the car that its in. So you're looking at 90hp over the mustang.

2. To answer the rev hang question, I don't think you mean rev hang(which is where the motor holds the RPM higher between shifts) this is done more so with the tuning of the vehicle. You want to feel awful rev hang go and drive a new WRX or STI, those cars hold the RPM for a good second or 2 between shifts before they start to drop with the clutch in. I believe you're just feeling the characteristic of a stock eco, they aren't super rev happy motors that are going to jump up to 4 grand with a flick of the throttle. To remedy this you have a few options
1) Light weight flywheel, will let the motor rev more freely.
2) Balance shaft delete, removes rotating mass from the crank, also helps the engine rev more freely.
3)Basic bolt ons, won't get fully into that as its been discussed a million times, but will wake the car up and will feel 100% better than stock
4)The most expensive options, cams build the head withe titanium hard parts, pistons/rods and a billet forged crank and she'll be much more rev happy.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Performance Tune will change the entire character of the car.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I was impressed by how much better my throttle response was after I got my Cobb tuner.

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium