IAT temp on my 2017 GT...

Jaybob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium performance package
Since I have installed my Ford Performance Power Pack 2 CAI, I have been looking at my IAT temps. Before, I really didn't pay much atte ntion to it. What was/is the normal operating temps before I put this CAI on? I realize that when you are not moving much they get high and when you are cruising down the freeway they get lower.....my question is: at what temp does it start to strain the engine? I hear alot of chatter about it being an "open box" compared to a closed system that I replaced....and that the closed system is better for the car...I live in the Dallas area and temps get really hot during the summer...any advise will be appreciated.
Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
With the stock box 5 to 10 degrees celsius up from ambient air temps.
When at a stop sign or traffic it could up 30 degrees celsius up from ambient temps but when you start moving it goes down really fast.

coreystang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm in Louisiana and my IAT temps have got up to 150 sitting at a light. Once I start going it drops pretty quickly. My tuner said not to worry.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It won't strain the engine, the PCM will just retard timing accordingly.

Don't worry about it, temps usually drop pretty fast once moving and should be pretty close to ambient.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
the IAT temps are definitely higher with PP2 installed. No issues though as others mentioned it cools down quickly once you start moving. Mine hovers around 37C/100F.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a whipple on mine with an open air box. I'm in Houston, and if I'm sitting in traffic they will get up to 150-160 at times. I don't worry about it. As soon as I'm moving they drop back down to about 5-8 degrees above ambient. Not a big deal.
Sponsored