Sponsored

Painting exhaust tips

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
We will see how this shit turns out. I'm really good at messing up anything with paint. I did a 120 grit sand, then a 180, then 2 coats of primer. Waiting for it to dry right now before I do a coat of gloss black. Stand by for more pics.
20190524_183621.jpg
20190524_183624.jpg
Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Kind of think getting them powder coated would of been a lot easier, gloss black. Looking forward to pics, powder coating would hold up imho. im not sure about this. If it doesn't turn out how you like, can always PC them cheaply, prob 50 bucks if that.

OP
OP
DekiDoo

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Kind of think getting them powder coated would of been a lot easier, gloss black. Looking forward to pics, powder coating would hold up imho. im not sure about this. If it doesn't turn out how you like, can always PC them cheaply, prob 50 bucks if that.
Problem is, I don't want to disassemble the active exhaust. I'll seev what this looks like in a few hours lol
20190524_213158.jpg
20190524_213149.jpg
20190524_213143.jpg

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
You don’t have too? They can literally tape off the tips and just powder coat that section.

The exhaust can withstand the heat as well that it gets baked at for a few minutes. I have tons of powder work done, they wouldn’t have any issue prepping/blasting the tips and powder coating the tips only for less than 50 if I had to guess

Gotta remember, static goes through all the metal which attracts the powder electrically charged powder particles. The rest of the metal doesn’t have to have anything done.

Conducts all the same. I could be wrong but I’ve seen him do things like this

OP
OP
DekiDoo

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
You don’t have too? They can literally tape off the tips and just powder coat that section.

The exhaust can withstand the heat as well that it gets baked at for a few minutes. I have tons of powder work done, they wouldn’t have any issue prepping/blasting the tips and powder coating the tips only for less than 50 if I had to guess

Gotta remember, static goes through all the metal which attracts the powder electrically charged powder particles. The rest of the metal doesn’t have to have anything done.

Conducts all the same. I could be wrong but I’ve seen him do things like this
I don't know anything about powder coat lol thanks for the explanation. If this looks like ass I'll get it done.

Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Looks good, lets see how it handles the heat, probably fine since carbon coating will act as a shield anyway for the outer layer heat wise.

OP
OP
DekiDoo

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Looks good, lets see how it handles the heat, probably fine since carbon coating will act as a shield anyway for the outer layer heat wise.
I'll update in a year. I do a spirited drive through the backroads up here once a month, so this summer will be a test of it.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
I did almost exactly the same - (albeit on a MY17 with non standard stainless exhaust)

With exhaust off the car - 6 coats of heat proof primer (sanded each time) - plus 4 coats of heatproof gloss black

1 year on -

The gloss is now "matt"

The finish is all bumpy (from heat I guess)

it needs to be done all over again

Should have done a powder coat! :clap:

OP
OP
DekiDoo

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I did almost exactly the same - (albeit on a MY17 with non standard stainless exhaust)

With exhaust off the car - 6 coats of heat proof primer (sanded each time) - plus 4 coats of heatproof gloss black

1 year on -

The gloss is now "matt"

The finish is all bumpy (from heat I guess)

it needs to be done all over again

Should have done a powder coat! :clap:
I have a feeling mine will then be the same, if not worse.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Looks good.