Sponsored

Did you buy a Shelby and now wish you bought a Mustang GT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Well, almost. GT500 with automatic only..yikes!
I agree, I didn't think that will happen... Oh well, I get to save money and keep my 350 :)
Sponsored

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
I was going to buy a shelby, but didn't want to compromise and wanted the best i could get. So I bought an A10 18 and the entire Steeda catalogue along with light weight wheels and willwood brakes. ;) Specked it out about like the Q750 without the SC or close to the championship #20 car runs but without the weight reductions and tires more geared for the streets (but better than those Nittos).

Couldn't imagine those spongy GT350R springs and sway bars that are about 30% softer than what I am running or those heavy tires that are mostly good for tramlining or that slow arse 1/4 mile time and that outdated manual transmission and the loss of most of the functionality of my drive modes and my paddle shifters. :)

I am just missing those diff coolerrr....oh wait. No i'm not. :)

Last edited:

PhillyShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
K
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black GT350
I was going to buy a shelby, but didn't want to compromise and wanted the best i could get. So I bought an A10 18 and the entire Steeda catalogue along with light weight wheels and willwood brakes. ;) Specked it out about like the Q750 without the SC or close to the championship #20 car runs but without the weight reductions and tires more geared for the streets (but better than those Nittos).

Couldn't imagine those spongy GT350R springs and sway bars that are about 30% softer than what I am running or those heavy tires that are mostly good for tramlining or that slow arse 1/4 mile time and that outdated manual transmission and the loss of most of the functionality of my drive modes and my paddle shifters. :)

I am just missing those diff coolerrr....oh wait. No i'm not. :)
Aka, "I was going to buy a Shelby, then I checked my bank account..."

mitchster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Considered a 2013 GT500, but none where under MSRP. Ended up buying a GT. Installed roush blower, carbon fiber driveshaft and wider wheels. Have enjoyed it for 6 years. Now I'm looking at the 2019 GT350, 2019 Bullitt (Black), and the Roush mustang. Will let you know this summer what I end up with.

Sponsored

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Aka, "I was going to buy a Shelby, then I checked my bank account..."
Hey i'm trying to troll here. All jk aside, I had an 11GT500 and modded it to make another 70hp over stock and it just wasn't streetable. The combination of the 3.73 gears on the SVT package, the log axle the tq made 1st gear useless and driving it on anything other than super heated tires on hot pavement was a constant exercise in throttle feathering. I can daily my GT and take it to the track with only some tires and a jack and a wrench for my adjustable suspension and it is ready to go in about 15 minutes, then i can drive it home. I guess you can do the same thing with a GT350R only you'd bring more streetable tires for after the track, while running the stockers for the laps.

Biggest deal breaker for me wasn't cost (i could pick up a used GT350 for way less than what i have in my 18), but the issue was a lack of a fast shifting auto.

When i do trade my current GT in, it will be for a lightly used 2021 or 2022 GT500. (ill give them a year or two to work out some bugs).

PhillyShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
K
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black GT350
Hey i'm trying to troll here. All jk aside, I had an 11GT500 and modded it to make another 70hp over stock and it just wasn't streetable. I can daily my GT and take it to the track with only some tires and a jack and a wrench for my adjustable suspension and it is ready to go in about 15 minutes, then i can drive it home. I guess you can do the same thing with a GT350R only youd bring more streetable tires for after the track, while running the stockers for the laps.

Biggest deal breaker for me wasnt cost (i could pick up a used GT350 for way less than what i have in my 18), but the issue was a lack of a fast shifting auto.

When i do trade my current GT in, it will be for a lightly used 2021 or 2022 GT500. (ill give them a year or two to work out some bugs).
I've tried the auto trans route several times - enjoyable as a daily in heavy traffic, but that's about it for me. Maybe I bore easily.

Edit: I'm also ordering vanity plates that read "PDK LOL", so my opinion may be slightly biased.

93cobraj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
I regret not getting exactly what I wanted the first go around. I bought a new '17 GT PP Premium 1.5yrs ago and only put 700 miles on it. It was a very nice car, but there was always something in the back of my mind that wanted the Shelby more.

So I sold it last week and got an '18 GT350... and yeah its everything the GT was missing for me. Hopefully I will enjoy it more than the last one.
GTvsGT350.JPG

DLW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I regret not getting exactly what I wanted the first go around. I bought a new '17 GT PP Premium 1.5yrs ago and only put 700 miles on it. It was a very nice car, but there was always something in the back of my mind that wanted the Shelby more.

So I sold it last week and got an '18 GT350... and yeah its everything the GT was missing for me. Hopefully I will enjoy it more than the last one.
GTvsGT350.JPG
That is my situation as well.
Bought a 19' PP2 and just had my first track day, was awesome. But, wish I would have just found a nice used 18 GT350 instead to get the better cooling, engine and other upgrades now.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
You could not be more wrong. I don't care who looks down on me or my cars. I am very content with what I have and very confident in what they can do. I am just comenting on guys that think their cars are way more than they are and I hate to say it but a lot of 350 owners I have run across act like they have a Ford GT when they really have a mustang. I just have to laugh the story is always the same "oh I don't care how fast my car is because this is a race car and it is a shelby and you might beat me light to light but if we were on a road track then I would really kick your ass". What they don't get is nobody cares. If you love your car that's great just don't be a dick about it. Enjoy your car and let others do the same. This should go for every body. And I am not saying all 350 owners are like this but there is a reputation for some reason.
I think there's a reputation somewhat because people make stuff up or are easily offended..or both. You might be mistaking lack of interest for snobbery. Oh, I'm not supposed to like the car that "I" picked? You are coming off as someone who is twisting reality to allow himself to be offended, I must say. Sometimes when you think it's everyone (or most, or many, or whatever you use this time)..it's really just you.

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
There is no doubt that the 350 can out perform a GT in certain areas right from the factory but I think the perception is way over rated. I am in several Mustang clubs and I always find it funny how the 350 guys always have a feeling of superiority and also funny how I do not notice this with the GT 500 guys. Of course The 350 guys are older and the GT guys are younger and the 350 guys seem to love to look down at the younger GT guys,to the point of demanding more respect because they have a 350. They act like the difference between a 350 and a GT is like a lambo and a beetle. I pretty much stay to my self and they don't pull their crap with me but I love when there is a club ride and they are constantly trying to get to the front and pass everybody and I just take my lowly GT and and simply pull away from them. I know all 350 owners are not like this but a lot are. The car is what it is no more no less. When the GT 500 comes out The difference between a GT and 350 will be even less exciting because there will be a huge difference then and with all the 350 upgrades available on the GT now not so much there any more. Just not sure why a lot of guys have such a holier than thou attitude. My 99 Roush will stay close to a 350 on bent roads and leave it far behind on the straight ones. Last summer we were at a big event that had an autocross course set up and a guy had just picked up his new 350 and was telling everybody how he was going to " Destroy" the course. He ended up being 10th out of 13 and was cursing and throwing stuff it was hilarious. bottom line is that your happy with your car. No need to make some one feel bad about their decision or act like your car is the greatest thing ever.
My, don’t we sound a bit sniffly, perhaps if you move up one size on the boxers.

Also, truth be told it’s more like the difference between a Lambo and a Passat.
Have a nice day.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I think there's a reputation somewhat because people make stuff up or are easily offended..or both. You might be mistaking lack of interest for snobbery. Oh, I'm not supposed to like the car that "I" picked? You are coming off as someone who is twisting reality to allow himself to be offended, I must say. Sometimes when you think it's everyone (or most, or many, or whatever you use this time)..it's really just you.
This

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
My, don’t we sound a bit sniffly, perhaps if you move up one size on the boxers.

Also, truth be told it’s more like the difference between a Lambo and a Passat.
Have a nice day.
With the right mods a GT is faster on a track. It's already been done.

Be that as it may you can put the same amount of after market work into a GT350 to make it faster yet again.

However when you are changing the Springs, sway bars, wheels, tires, brakes, control arns, bushings, linkages etc. Any way I fail to see the point in even wasting the time even bothering to start with a GT350 or even a PP model to be honest.

I am sure the SC guys pushing 700hp to 900hp are saying the sane thing .

Your buying a whole lotta performance parts on a GT350 that your just pulling off and upgrading yet again if you do that

You'll still run into unexpected problems though....such as tire sizing on the front.

TLFLOW

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Or did you buy a Mustang GT And wish you would have purchased the Shelby instead? Would be interested in hearing your thoughts .
We have a 2018 GT track pack, wife’s car. Really cool car faster than my 2012 Boss302, so I don’t regret my 2018 GT350 one little bit
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.