Tire options

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
So I have the basic bitch all season tires. In first and second gear I can’t get good traction when I launch it, and in second it starts to get a little sideways. Kind of afraid one time it’s gonna get a little too sideways. And I’ll be honest this is my first RWD car. I will admit I don’t know how to drive a RWD car properly I guess you could say. I live in south Ohio so for at least 8 months of the year I could probably get away with a summer tire if I wanted to. But is there a good all season sport option? When I had my ST I had cooper RS3-G1’s. Anyone have suggestions?
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Learn to drive.

No tires will work if you think the only throttle is 100% throttle.

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
So I have the basic bitch all season tires. In first and second gear I can’t get good traction when I launch it, and in second it starts to get a little sideways. Kind of afraid one time it’s gonna get a little too sideways. And I’ll be honest this is my first RWD car. I will admit I don’t know how to drive a RWD car properly I guess you could say. I live in south Ohio so for at least 8 months of the year I could probably get away with a summer tire if I wanted to. But is there a good all season sport option? When I had my ST I had cooper RS3-G1’s. Anyone have suggestions?
All OEM tires come with a pro-rated 60 month warranty. So go to Discount Tire and trade them in. It won’t cost you much at all...Get the tires on my signature. You won’t regret it.

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
Wait... I can trade in factory tires? What? Lol

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
I didn’t say I was stopping the gas 100% the whole time. It starts to slip and I lose confidence in the tires. It’s not like in a front wheel drive car that’s easy to correct. You are right about needing to learn though. I just wanna do it on a better set of tires

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm not sure what tires the Ecoboost comes with--maybe the same all season P Zero Neros as the GT. If you want to stay with all-season tires, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ gets the best reviews and seems to be the grippiest all-season tire. But it's still not as sticky as a max performance summer tire, and they are pretty expensive.

Edit: depending on your wheel width, you might be able to go a bit wider on the tire.... ie if your OEM tire size is 235 width, then 245 or even 255s may fit on a 8" wide wheel.

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
Yeah those PS3 aren’t cheap. Legit tire though

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
And I have the 19 inch rims

local driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS
I don't like summer tires for daily driving because they really suck on cold rainy days, long before it's time to worry about ice and snow.

I like these:https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire/bf-goodrich/g-force-comp-2-a-s and have them on a V8 Camaro with way more torque than your Ecoboost. Yours will probably be a bit narrower than mine but with the 19" by 8.5" rims, wide enough.

You can read reviews of all season high performance tires on the tire rack web sight. The BFGs I cited compare well against more expensive Michelins. Just be aware that they are directional and can't be rotated side to side.

Why is a Camaro guy like me here? Because in the Spring I may become a Mustang guy and I'm here to get educated.

Sponsored

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The BFG Comp2 A/S is a great all season tire for straight line traction. The Michelin A/S 3+ has a bit more lateral grip but the BFG allows you to put down power better. They are also a lot more affordable than the Michelins and it even does fairly well in the snow for an all season (no match for an actual winter tire of course). That would be what I'd look into for your car, I think you'll be quite pleased with them.

Cory

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
Thanks for everyone’s input here. I’m looking for straight line performance mostly. I think I’m sold on the BFG tires.

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
At tire discounters the BFG’s with install and hazard warranty is about $1000, that seems pretty reasonable. Merry Christmas to me.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
The Michelins are a good choice. My favorite are Continentals ExtremeContact DWS.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Just another data point, but I bought some Cooper Zeon RS3-G1's to replace the P-Zero's that came on my EBPP. The Zero's were really miserable when the temps dropped in to the low 40's, but the Coopers (granted in a wider size) grip as well in the 40's as the Zero's did in the 80's. I'm really impressed with the Coopers, and I'm pretty sure the Michelins are better still. If/when the COopers are worn out, I'll go with the Michelins. I didn't want to go with them right now because I bought new wheels as well and wanted to keep some sense of control on my spending...
Sponsored