Sponsored

First service at 4k miles?

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
As an update...

...Registered Jan this year, 700 mile on the clock and oil life at 92%, warning reminder appeared at 800 mile / 7 months old, 99% oil life.
I debated if an oil change was really necessary, after consulting with dealer and on here too concluded that it was NOT mandatory and was NOT needed...
...I HAVE now had my oil changed...

WHY ????

...IF there is ever going to be any wear within the engine, it is probably going to happen in the first few hundred miles. Any swarf and contaminants left from the assembly line are going to be in that initial running in period. It could be that the engine was perfect in every way and that the oil did not need changing at all. But the only way to find out is either drop the oil and have it analysed or run the engine as is until 1 year / 10,000 miles.
I chose to change it early. You will only ever get that option once. Miss it and you may regret it later if the engine develops an wear. These are high output engines capable of high performance. If looked after probably capable of high milage and long life. Ask yourself if rather spend a little now as potentially a lot in the future.
IMG-20180928-WA0003.jpg
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I changed my oil at first 1000 miles, it's recommended in BMW M cars probably for reasons you have given above

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
I changed my oil at first 1000 miles, it's recommended in BMW M cars probably for reasons you have given above
I know the BMW M engines have use an unique oil, something like 5w50 or 5w60. Costly stuff.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Oil change ….. Wait for the BBQ tick !

In fairness I'm not sure how much of a problem it is in UK spec cars but by all accounts if it is going to start it is just after an oil change

AB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0
Took mine into the Ford dealer today. All they did was reset the oil life.

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I changed my oil and filter at 1000 miles,and every 5000 miles on my previous mustang.I reckon i was wasting my money and following the trend.
6400 miles on my 18 with no tick and factory oil.I will wait to first service and see if i get the tick after lol.
Sponsored