Sponsored

Exhaust Silencers.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
After talking to Msweet on the Australia forum I decided to make these silencers. I love my Roush/X pipe combo, and it's fairly quiet at idle once it warms up, but the cold starts are pretty bad. I went a slightly different route than his with the interior packing and end caps. What I did was use a 1" by 5" motorcycle muffler baffle and wrapped it in steel wool, and on the interior side of the PVC pipe I added a 25" layer of foam for some additional sound deadening. They will only be on for a few minutes at a time so I'm not too worried about heat. I also used a 4" to 4" rubber adapter for the muffler tip, and a rubber 4" to 2" adapter for the end cap, which should silence it a bit more over a plastic end cap. I just tested them out and they make a huge difference and really take the initial "bite" out of the cold start.

A few questions though, should I be worried about too much back pressure? Other than backfiring, would would be an indication that they are not flowing well enough? Also, I noticed when I started the car, the fan kicked on right away, however it's been sitting out in 85-90 degree sun all day. Is that normal? I never really payed attention. Obviously, these will just be on the car for a few minutes at a time when it's first started.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks funny, but works.
muffler1.JPG

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can see the motorcycle baffles in this pic.
muffler.JPG

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Are you starting the car and letting it sit or can you drive as soon as you start it? I found putting it into gear right after I start it helps a lot but no way to stop that initial sound without something like this I guess.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you starting the car and letting it sit or can you drive as soon as you start it? I found putting it into gear right after I start it helps a lot but no way to stop that initial sound without something like this I guess.
Normally I would throw the car into gear right away, like you do, to cut down on the sound, but I felt like that was bad for the engine or transmission? Even then it still had that initial blast of sound. This basically makes the initial cold start sound more like a normal warm idle, I'm sure they could be quieted down even more with some additional steel wool or packing. They only take a second to throw on, and are small enough to keep in the trunk if I need them. I would like to eventually make a smaller and lighter version using something lighter than PVC pipe, but these do the job for now and I will finally be able to use my remote start in the cold this winter. I was thinking about attaching them to the wall with some string so they will get pulled off if I forget to remove them before driving.

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Normally I would throw the car into gear right away, like you do, to cut down on the sound, but I felt like that was bad for the engine or transmission? Even then it still had that initial blast of sound. This basically makes the initial cold start sound more like a normal warm idle, I'm sure they could be quieted down even more with some additional steel wool or packing. They only take a second to throw on, and are small enough to keep in the trunk if I need them. I would like to eventually make a smaller and lighter version using something lighter than PVC pipe, but these do the job for now and I will finally be able to use my remote start in the cold this winter. I was thinking about attaching them to the wall with some string so they will get pulled off if I forget to remove them before driving.
Ah gotcha. Lol the strings would be awesome. Thankfully I don’t have to worry about winter (I can’t remote start anyways since I changed out my gauge cluster). I didn’t think the roush ab and h pipe I had was too loud, any set up on these cars are just booming on cold start though.

For about four years now I have been just been putting it into S right after I start it, shifting up to third gear real quick and idling out of my neighborhood but I work at night and leave at 10pm so it’s not like I’m waking people up at 5am. Haven’t had any complaints only good things but I’m sure I can be annoying sometimes. Might have to try something like this if I do ever have issues with noise.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Actually, this is exactly what I have been looking for. The cold start on my car is absolute BANANAS! Deafening to anyone in a close radius. Can you give me a material list(specifically the sizes) for this?

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, this is exactly what I have been looking for. The cold start on my car is absolute BANANAS! Deafening to anyone in a close radius. Can you give me a material list(specifically the sizes) for this?
That was my problem. The exhaust isn't too bad, but the first few minutes are really bad, especially since the sound bounces off my neighbors homes.

As for size and parts -
I went with 4" PVC pipe, cut down to two 8" sections.
I used 4" to 4" rubber couplings for the tail pipe side (The Roush is a 4" tip), and 4" to 2" rubber couplings for the exit side.
For the interior of the PVC I bought a 1lb roll of steel wool on amazon, and two 1" by 5" exhaust silencers which I wrapped with the steel wool.
For the interior of the pipe I bought some .25" neoprene foam sponge rubber adhesive which I lined the PVC with. It might not be need, and I don't know how well it will hold up, but I figured it would add some additional sound deadening.

*****msweet who made one of these last year used a rubber type plug with holes drilled for the interior of the PVC instead of a baffle and steel wool, however he's in Australia and I could not find the plug around here, so I went with the basic muffler style baffle and steel wool build instead.

The exhaust size coupling fits loose, so it just sits on the exhaust, if there were any back pressure it would just knock it off, which is what I want. I may try a slightly longer but 2" baffle wrapped in steel wool to see if I can get the same quiet tone but with slightly more flow, however the 1" seems to flow fine so far. You can get everything you need on Amazon or at any hardware store. I'll get some pics later of the interior. They only take a few minutes to make once you have the parts. It's a really simple build that does seem to take care of the annoying cold starts.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah gotcha. Lol the strings would be awesome. Thankfully I don’t have to worry about winter (I can’t remote start anyways since I changed out my gauge cluster). I didn’t think the roush ab and h pipe I had was too loud, any set up on these cars are just booming on cold start though.

For about four years now I have been just been putting it into S right after I start it, shifting up to third gear real quick and idling out of my neighborhood but I work at night and leave at 10pm so it’s not like I’m waking people up at 5am. Haven’t had any complaints only good things but I’m sure I can be annoying sometimes. Might have to try something like this if I do ever have issues with noise.
Haha, yeah I figured it's only a matter of time before I drive off with them attached, they fit very loosely so they would fall off and I'd lose them within a few blocks.

My neighbors haven't said anything, and the one is a car guy, but I know it has to be loud for them, since the sound like bounces with off the side of their house. I feel bad taking my car out late at night or early in the morning sometimes, so I figured this is a win for both of us. I can take my car out anytime of day/night now with a start up that's not much louder than stock. I'm really happy with my exhaust but I was close to buying a resonator just to keep the cold starts down, hopefully I won't have to do that now.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
That was my problem. The exhaust isn't too bad, but the first few minutes are really bad, especially since the sound bounces off my neighbors homes.

As for size and parts -
I went with 4" PVC pipe, cut down to two 8" sections.
I used 4" to 4" rubber couplings for the tail pipe side (The Roush is a 4" tip), and 4" to 2" rubber couplings for the exit side.
For the interior of the PVC I bought a 1lb roll of steel wool on amazon, and two 1" by 5" exhaust silencers which I wrapped with the steel wool.
For the interior of the pipe I bought some .25" neoprene foam sponge rubber adhesive which I lined the PVC with. It might not be need, and I don't know how well it will hold up, but I figured it would add some additional sound deadening.

*****msweet who made one of these last year used a rubber type plug with holes drilled for the interior of the PVC instead of a baffle and steel wool, however he's in Australia and I could not find the plug around here, so I went with the basic muffler style baffle and steel wool build instead.

The exhaust size coupling fits loose, so it just sits on the exhaust, if there were any back pressure it would just knock it off, which is what I want. I may try a slightly longer but 2" baffle wrapped in steel wool to see if I can get the same quiet tone but with slightly more flow, however the 1" seems to flow fine so far. You can get everything you need on Amazon or at any hardware store. I'll get some pics later of the interior. They only take a few minutes to make once you have the parts. It's a really simple build that does seem to take care of the annoying cold starts.
Awesome. Everything makes sense to me besides the second line in bold.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome. Everything makes sense to me besides the second line in bold.
4" diameter PVC pipe, cut them into two 8" length sections.

Reactions: Ebm
OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the baffle I used inside the pipe. They're $8.99 on Amazon.
baffle.jpg

Reactions: Ebm

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Well done mate, glad I could help!

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well done mate, glad I could help!
Thanks again for the help. Did you ever worry about back pressure with the rubber plug you used, and how many holes did you drill in it? I took the end cap off the baffles I used for some more air flow just in case, but my air/fuel is still about 14.2 with the silencers on, so I'm assuming I'm not getting much back pressure and shouldn't have to worry about any issues, especially since I'm only keeping them on at idle for a few minutes.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Nah man, my plugs were actually foam and I only had them on for 30 seconds max just for that initial start
Sponsored