Sponsored

Poll and discussion: how did you open your headlight? Heatgun, oven, or cut the black housing?

How did you or a shop open the headlight?

• Heatgun

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cut black housing

• Nothing worked for me.

• Total voters

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
I bought the glue and all the diode parts, I'm gonna take a crack at this this weekend to install DRL tri bars, demon eyes, and fogs.

I've seen a few responses saying people at DD say to cut the black housing as that's easier. Yet all the videos/discussions I've seen is that no one has actually done it, and there are a decent amount of people successful is opening up the headlight. I'm gonna email them but in the meantime, could I get some advice on people who have used a heat gun or cut the black housing? For the latter, I don't see anything online at all about it.
Sponsored

ArcsandSparks

Probably wrenching
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the glue and all the diode parts, I'm gonna take a crack at this this weekend to install DRL tri bars, demon eyes, and fogs.

I've seen a few responses saying people at DD say to cut the black housing as that's easier. Yet all the videos/discussions I've seen is that no one has actually done it, and there are a decent amount of people successful is opening up the headlight. I'm gonna email them but in the meantime, could I get some advice on people who have used a heat gun or cut the black housing? For the latter, I don't see anything online at all about it.

I put the headlights in an oven for 12-14 minutes at a time, at 225 degrees. Some headlights can take higher temperatures, but after you see the price of a new set of headlights, you'll want to err on the side of caution.

Pop the headlights in the oven, pull them out and run a paint scraper around them for a minute or so, then back into the oven for 8-10 more minutes. Repeat the process until you have the lens completely removed.

A heat gun will work but you'll increase your risk of cracking the lens- you need widespread heat, not localized heat.

The permaseal that Ford uses is some tough shit, so be prepared for multiple trips into the oven and plenty of swearing.

I've done 15+ sets of headlights this way, 2 of which have been s550 headlights. If you take your time they'll turn out great, but try and rush it and you're going to be buying a new set of headlights.

V_Eight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
God damnit i wish someone had told me before. I just bought glue from them a few weeks ago.

V_Eight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
It's not like a night and day difference. It's just a supplement to help get the stock permaseal to lose adhesion. We're working on a better solution that will hopefully dissolve permaseal without hurting the ABS / PPS housing itself. Still in testing with a third-party chemical engineering company.

(Andrew @ TRS)

Sponsored

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh hi! Cool to see someone from TRS here.

Any recommendations for something I can use in the meantime since I'll be doing it Saturday and won't be able to get this in time?

V_Eight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Oh hi! Cool to see someone from TRS here.

Any recommendations for something I can use in the meantime since I'll be doing it Saturday and won't be able to get this in time?
Really what was covered above will work just fine. Just be patient but intentional.
Sponsored