Ford 18

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 Ruby Red Magneride/Recaro Seats
Just fitted my Velgen VMB's - fronts , great rears poke out 10 - 15 mm from the bodywork.
Anyone fitted 20 x 10.5 rims with Michelin PS 4S tyres 295/35 20 ?
We've tried camber changes but they still won't fit .
Is there a difference from 2017 to 2018 because I thought this combination was OK ?
Sponsored

FMGTV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
use to own - "2017 Mustang GT V8 Ruby Red Manual"
Just fitted my Velgen VMB's - fronts , great rears poke out 10 - 15 mm from the bodywork.
Is there a difference from 2017 to 2018 because I thought this combination was OK ?

I've got VMB9 - 20's with 10.5 on the rear on my 2017. I decided on 295/35/20 Bridgestone Tyres after talking with my tyre dealer as he advised that the Michy's have a wider profile (more tyre bulge) and he's a Michelin dealer. The Bridgy's sit just out slightly at the rear.....I think it's probably just the Michelin issue.

OP
OP
Ford 18

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Don
That did run through my mind - might have to down-size the Michelins
We are checking the off-set as well to make sure it is right

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
They should be able to adjust the camber so they fit. But I think you're still at stock height, I've not seen that setup without lowering. When you go lower you can make them fit with about -2 degrees of camber

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I'm gonna back that up by saying I know several guys running MPSS in 295 and 305 on Velgens and they fit just fine. The MPSS and MPS4S are supposedly equally wide

Here's a pic of another members car with 295s on Velgens running Steeda progressives. He has around -2 camber in the rear

36310254705_0b84b60630_b.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ford 18

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Making headway - looks like the rims are 35 offset not 45 .
Not sure how or why

Last edited:

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Making headway - looks like the rims are 55 offset not 45 .
Not sure how or why
That doesn't make sense. A 55 offset would push the wheels INBOARD, towards the shock and away from the fender

I have 55 offset on my 20x11 and run a 315/35, with only -1.4 camber

OP
OP
Ford 18

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Sorry - I can be dyslexic with offsets .
Brett from Autoware is going to retrieve the wheels/tyres tomorrow and fix the issue

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I run Pirelli PZeros in 295/30/20 on 10" wide rims at the rear. Dunno how that translates compared to the Michi's but maybe the other issue is the /35/ profile?

I couldn't tell you offset though TBH, but i've got Steeda lowered springs too

OP
OP
Ford 18

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
We are talking to Velgen to see if we can fix the offset issue.
I am hopeful that it will be an easy fix
Thank you all for your input.

Sponsored

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
The offset is certainly a critical issue. I know I had selected one style of Ferrada wheels only having to change styles the next day due to the offset not being suitable. The rear tires where rubbing on the outside fenders on high speed bumps and road irregularities - not good. I also needed some custom made pure one piece aluminum spacers on the front. Bottom line - stick to very similar offsets as stock and get the car up a hoist with the tires taking the weight of the car and have a good look around front and back.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
There is no need to go similar offsets to stock in the front. You can easily push the wheel/tyre out 20-25mm with no issues at all, same can be said of the rear. You just have to make sure that if you're going wider you take that into account with the offset. If going wider in the front then you most certainly cannot keep the offset close to stock because you will foul the strut, and you'll end up having to run spacers. Just get the offset right the first time, don't run spacers.

OP
OP
Ford 18

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Finally got the wheels from the dealer to Autoware on the Gold Coast to figure out what the issue is.
The offset on the Velgen rims is correct so Brett fitted the wheels/tyres to his 2018 and it appears that the new Michelins are a very square wheel so clearance is marginal.
Don't know whether the Magneride influences anything but as his car has Magneride as well and he is about to lower his we are going to wait and see if lowering / camber changes may work better.
Other options are different tyres or machining the rims slightly.

FMGTV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
use to own - "2017 Mustang GT V8 Ruby Red Manual"
Finally got the wheels from the dealer to Autoware on the Gold Coast to figure out what the issue is.
The offset on the Velgen rims is correct so Brett fitted the wheels/tyres to his 2018 and it appears that the new Michelins are a very square wheel so clearance is marginal.
Don't know whether the Magneride influences anything but as his car has Magneride as well and he is about to lower his we are going to wait and see if lowering / camber changes may work better.
Other options are different tyres or machining the rims slightly.
Glad you took back to Brett to confirm. Sorry about your findings but I suggested this in an earlier post about the Michelin problem and I was warned about this by a Michelin dealer. The are great tyres but they bulge wider than some other tyres. Hope you can work it out to your satisfaction.
Sponsored