Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
We did read the thread ... Even with Sync 2 you could buy official map updates cheaper on eBay from other dealerhsips. Notice I specifically said dealerships. $150 is likely MSRP. On my old EB I got a legit map update for $69.95, instead of the $150+, on eBay still in originally packaging, shrink wrapped, and shipped from some random Ford Dealer across the US from me.

Maybe we're not the one that needs to reread the thread, as someone else said the exact thing I just said (in fewer words) ... ;)
I hope you're right and I wish you luck. I'm not sure at what point during your eBay purchase process they're going to key your maps to the ESN of your vehicle.
Sponsored

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
With off-line maps being available (at least from Google) I'm not sure why you'd even consider paying for the Ford ones.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
When Google Maps is available on the Sync screen, that's all I'll use. Until then, there's certainly value in having updated maps in the Sync system.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I hope you're right and I wish you luck. I'm not sure at what point during your eBay purchase process they're going to key your maps to the ESN of your vehicle.
If you've never purchased anything on eBay I guess it would seem like black magic. People purchase customized items on eBay all of the time. It's no different than if Levittown had you purchase on their site, or you purchased from Griffin Ford a few pages back.

On eBay, just to name a few, could be done at:

1. Time of purchase by entering it into either the notes field that is available at checkout; or

2. Having you send them a separate email; or

3. They could call you afterwards - the least likely.

:shrug: It's really not all that complicated, and I'm not sure why it's hard to understand. I purchased many things from Ford Dealers on eBay, including Dash Trim clips, radiator cover, etc. eBay is just a way to facilitate payment and communication. :thumbsup:

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
When Google Maps is available on the Sync screen, that's all I'll use. Until then, there's certainly value in having updated maps in the Sync system.
Off-line Google maps work fine on my Sync 3 screen via Android Auto. You even hear the prompts telling you when you are switching between off-line and on-line mode. There is no value for paying for maps if you have Sync 3.

Sponsored

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
If you've never purchased anything on eBay I guess it would seem like black magic. People purchase customized items on eBay all of the time. It's no different than if Levittown had you purchase on their site, or you purchased from Griffin Ford a few pages back.

On eBay, just to name a few, could be done at:

1. Time of purchase by entering it into either the notes field that is available at checkout; or

2. Having you send them a separate email; or

3. They could call you afterwards - the least likely.

:shrug: It's really not all that complicated, and I'm not sure why it's hard to understand. I purchased many things from Ford Dealers on eBay, including Dash Trim clips, radiator cover, etc. eBay is just a way to facilitate payment and communication. :thumbsup:
Sounds like a really cost effective process for selling custom order items at a few bucks over cost.

It's obvious the current eBay pricing for map SDs is driven by used copies and either fake or grey market copies. Unless there's a way around the DRM on Sync 3 maps those factors are gone. Except for people foolish enough to buy used drives that will be useless.

I don't doubt that some dealers will discount. But with a time consuming process for handling orders and no price pressure from the secondary market I doubt that we'll see the pricing we've seen on older maps.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Perhaps a separate Sync 3 Nav update thread is in order. Someplace for people to track the best prices on eBay or announce that Google Maps is better and you would never pay for map updates.

Back on the topic of Sync v3 updates, my '18 accepted the revised 18025 download with no problems. Unfortunately the confirmation process is refusing to acknowledge my file upload. :frusty:

I've turned auto-updates back on, maybe it will confirm through that. If Ford has any sense this update includes fixes to their wifi update process.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Off-line Google maps work fine on my Sync 3 screen via Android Auto. You even hear the prompts telling you when you are switching between off-line and on-line mode. There is no value for paying for maps if you have Sync 3.
And how well does Google Maps work with CarPlay? Just because something works for you doesn't mean there's no value in it for others.

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
And how well does Google Maps work with CarPlay? Just because something works for you doesn't mean there's no value in it for others.
CarPlay has its own maps. You don't need to pay for Ford maps to use CarPlay navigation.

Sponsored

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
CarPlay has its own maps. You don't need to pay for Ford maps to use CarPlay navigation.
By that logic, none of us needed to pay for the Sync system at all since we have phones with maps and navigation.

Some of us find value in updating the Ford maps because some of us found value in having the nav system in the first place.

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
By that logic, none of us needed to pay for the Sync system at all since we have phones with maps and navigation.

Some of us find value in updating the Ford maps because some of us found value in having the nav system in the first place.
good point I agree I like oem nav

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
OEM Nav will still have its need until the time mobile data signal covers 100% of the global landscape.

Even in Southern California, data can disappear in canyons, mountains, and deserts.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Sounds like a really cost effective process for selling custom order items at a few bucks over cost.
You really want to be right on this, or you really just want people to buy full price. I don't know which. But, as soon as it's in stock at some place like Levittown, or White Bear, it'll be discounted 30% or more at least. But, I think you're making a bigger deal than necessary, because copying two fields from a notes field from an order doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. Especially since they're likely cutting and pasting a name and address too. Just so the conversation can I die, I'll agree

OEM Nav will still have its need until the time mobile data signal covers 100% of the global landscape.
Agreed. This is the downside to CarPlay and Apple Maps. Android Auto at least has Google Maps with offline/downloaded maps. Either way, I like having the Nav built-in, though most of the time I am definitely using Apple Maps anyway.
Sponsored