Sponsored

Brake lights are too bright. Tell me I'm wrong.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'd rather be looking at bright brake lights than be behind a Mustang with the silly brake light sequencer...
Well, I hate to disappoint you, but Mustangs have come standard with sequenced blinkers since 2010

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
Well, I hate to disappoint you, but Mustangs have come standard with sequenced blinkers since 2010
I think he is talking about the add on sequencer when you hit the brakes

pike bishop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT, shadow blk, 401a, pp...
barring flipping hazards & heading out into rush hour while simultaneously deciding now was as good a time as any to warm up the tires weaving to and fro, from my perspective, any individual confused (or perhaps triggered is more applicable for sake of discussion) by the rather harmless product in question may have some larger issues need tending to. just sayin'...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
barring flipping hazards & heading out into rush hour while simultaneously deciding now was as good a time as any to warm up the tires weaving to and fro, from my perspective, any individual confused (or perhaps triggered is more applicable for sake of discussion) by the rather harmless product in question may have some larger issues need tending to. just sayin'...
Sequencing once and done is one thing.

Sitting in the driver's seat, you don't have to look at those sequenced lights of yours. So of course you're not going to have the same perspective on brake light sequencing (especially if it's stuck in sequencing mode) as the people who are following you.

Norm

Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
The brighter the better! Anything that will lessen my chances of getting rear ended is fine with me.

pike bishop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sequencing once and done is one thing.

Sitting in the driver's seat, you don't have to look at those sequenced lights of yours. So of course you're not going to have the same perspective on brake light sequencing (especially if it's stuck in sequencing mode) as the people who are following you.

Norm
do tell. "stuck" something you saw on internet too? lord...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
do tell. "stuck" something you saw on internet too? lord...
I don't need the internet to tell me how to think, nor do I use it for that purpose. You just haven't been around long enough to understand how independent of a thinker I might be. Not even long enough just on this forum.

FWIW, I used the term "stuck" to specifically convey a particular image . . . seems it did so just fine.

Norm

pike bishop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't need the internet to tell me how to think, nor do I use it for that purpose. You just haven't been around long enough to understand how independent of a thinker I might be. Not even long enough just on this forum.

FWIW, I used the term "stuck" to specifically convey a particular image . . . seems it did so just fine.

Norm
nah, pulling your "i've been here longer" card that quickly tells me all i need know there, pardner... worrying about some unsubstantiated theoretical product failure is another matter unto itself... curious what do ya' care? you're quite the pair, i'll give you that though.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You missed the point in your search for a come-back (hint: it wasn't about me being here longer than you). I care because sequencing is for directional signals, and extending that to brake lights confuses rather than clarifies.

Now if you wanted to make more brake lights illuminate as some function of how hard you're braking, I could go along with that. Say, one bulb/side for moderate, two for some definition of 'hard', all three for "into or almost into the ABS". Make it mean something useful, not just flashiness for the sake of being flashy.

Norm

Sponsored

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
^I've thought about that basic concept for years now- visual indicator of braking intensity. However, that probably will never come about in mainstream transportation. In the meantime, a solid red indicator scheme is where we are at and any deviation is not in anyones best interest.

Last edited:

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
You missed the point in your search for a come-back (hint: it wasn't about me being here longer than you). I care because sequencing is for directional signals, and extending that to brake lights confuses rather than clarifies.

Now if you wanted to make more brake lights illuminate as some function of how hard you're braking, I could go along with that. Say, one bulb/side for moderate, two for some definition of 'hard', all three for "into or almost into the ABS". Make it mean something useful, not just flashiness for the sake of being flashy.

Norm
I've often thought that variable brightness brake lights would be a great idea. the more pedal effort the brighter the lights

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
^Let me ask you this, have you ever followed a vehicle with a mis-adjusted brake switch? What happens? You get that annoying flashing and you never really know how hard that vehicle may or may not be braking. Same concept with flashing red to the rear. Varying the intensity? driver behind takes his eyes off the rear for just 500ms and the step-up in intensity and frame of reference is lost.

FMVSS has a standard for indicators for a reason. It seems some here either don't agree or choose to take the defensive stance against authority.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I have to be honest, I love the "in your face" brake lights as well as the sequential turn signals. Hell, I love the tri-bar LED DRLs. When I had my foxbody I loved turning on the parking lights and running around with the "cats eye" look.

Everything mentioned helps give the mustang something unique over other manufacturers offerings. I can recognize a S550 from either direction a mile away at night.

And I too will intentional blind family members when walking behind the mustang at night. :cheers:

Powercat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 year edition
Personally, I don't think one "sequence" when applying the brake is any more confusing than the continual sequencing when the turn signal is on. It's just something some of us owners do to make our cars a bit different. If anyone is that confused by the tail lights both momentarily sequencing, maybe they need to reassess their driving skills. The third tail light still illuminates steadily, so maybe that should be enough to alert those behind that the brake is applied. Anyway, I like mine and I haven't had anyone slam on their brakes behind me as a result. Don't hate me because I'm cooler... lol
Sponsored