Sponsored

Gains from Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft

Scat550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
As the Thread suggest, curious about gains seen in the 1/4 mile for any of you gents who have a carbon fiber drive shaft installed. 1-3 tenths of a second? More? looking forward to your reply's.
Sponsored

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
0.01 sec?

OP
OP

Scat550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I would assume a bit more considering you significantly reduce rotational mass. and a lighter fly wheel would allow allot more of your power to transmit to the rear wheels more efficiently as opposed to going to waist via drive train loss. I'm curious to see if anyone has real world applicability post install.

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
A guy on the forum( Iketh )has a carbon fiber driveshaft , with only addition of a full exhaust 93 octane and ran 11.9 in quarter with street tires 275 width , I'm sure the driveshaft got him much better low end .

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Probably not a whole lot. Most manual transmission guys go with aftermarket axles that are much heavier than stock, so that would cancel out a lite weight driveshaft.

Sponsored

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
^ what he said. also is the carbon that much lighter than aluminum? Then depending on goals strength comes into play. I don't think you can go wrong with carbon or aluminum depending on goals.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
One of the big advantages is that carbon fiber shocks the drive train much less compared to aluminum. This means less broken parts.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I would assume a bit more considering you significantly reduce rotational mass. and a lighter fly wheel would allow allot more of your power to transmit to the rear wheels more efficiently as opposed to going to waist via drive train loss. I'm curious to see if anyone has real world applicability post install.
Reducing rotational mass and unsprung weight will lead to lower drivetrain loss and some horsepower gains on the dyno. You're not actually making more horsepower, but the dyno reads rwhp not crank hp.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I was told the the only advantage is 1 less part to break but, I'll do it for the 8 lbs weight loss with just the aluminum shaft. Carbon fiber is even lighter than aluminum. I see most S550 guys doing half shafts which are heavier negating the others loss?

Sponsored

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
Carbon fiber driveshaft is only I think 2 lbs lighter then aluminum, I spoke with Alex at American muscle about weight, makes no difference just go aluminum if you get it

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
The carbon fiber will help a bit, and as mentioned will be more absorbent of shock on the drivetrain. Yes its not a lot lighter then aluminum but every lb counts, especially on unsprung mass, and yes its negated by heavier half shafts but still bette than stock and adding weight from half shafts.

The GT350R sees about 11hp more to the ground than a regular 350 as a result of the carbon wheels if that's any indication of weight reduction to the drivetrain will do.

Last edited:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The carbon fiber will flew a bit, and as mentioned will be more absorbent of shock on the drivetrain. Yes its not a lot lighter then aluminum but every lb counts, especially on unsprung mass, and yes its negated by heavier half shafts but still bette than stock and adding weight from half shafts.

"...will flew a bit...", is that a typo?

Also the driveshaft is sprung weight, however it is also rotational weight. Things like wheels/tires, brakes, and steering knuckles are examples of unsprung weight.

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
Yeah autocorrect got me and I didn't proof read my post, happens when you're multitasking.
Sponsored