A little real world data on new cpe intercooler

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
He makes them in batches and has other projects going on too like Focus Intercoolers etc. I believe he just finished a bunch very recently.
I called, left a voicemail and he called right back. Placed my order and I am looking at about a 10 day wait which is fine with me. Very nice guy. I am going to go and pick it up since he is local. :D
Wish I had done this weeks ago !
Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
I called, left a voicemail and he called right back. Placed my order and I am looking at about a 10 day wait which is fine with me. Very nice guy. I am going to go and pick it up since he is local. :D

That's what I was planning on. I love helping out guys doing what they love solo. What part of town is he in?

You will not regret it.

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PREM PP MANUAL OXFORD WHITE 201A
Did you end up with the street or race version?

Nick

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
That's what I was planning on. I love helping out guys doing what they love solo. What part of town is he in?

You will not regret it.
Sorrento. Its by Mt Dora so its a nice drive. Check out his facility hopefully.

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
Did you end up with the street or race version?

Nick
Street. He highly suggested it unless you had an all out race car which mine is a daily driver so I am good with that. He came across as a really nice guy. Glad I called.

Sponsored

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
Yep, mine had that too. I forgot to mention that earlier. I still have not heard from them. I guess I know where I stand with them...
hey guys
Mitch has installed a FMIC on a customers car and is confirming the instructions as I type this
not sure how a few steps were omitted / very sorry about that

we are actively correcting the issue and will email a .pdf of the updated i-sheets to anyone that requests one via PM on here or by emailing support through the cp-e web site

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I don't have any real world data but this car has some serious, serious punch now. I installed the intercooler and cp-e's catted downpipe this past weekend. Much thanks to @Ron@cp-e and @[email protected] and the team at CP-e for churning out quality stuff! Huge shout out to Torrie at Unleashed Tuning @tmcphail for putting the icing on the cake! :thumbsup:
1463447210.IMG_0832.jpg

OP
OP

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Yeah, Torrie's got me hooked up too. I need to learn to use the track testing stuff built in to the car so I can get some 1/4 mile, 0-60, etc. My local track is prepped poorly enough on normal test and tune nights that it's pretty much useless. I can spin my tires on the street for free, no need to pay $20 to do it.

*Edit* Hey, my car is guard too. It's an auto though.

Sponsored
OP
OP

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
As I said I would do if cpe contacted me to make things right for the slight damage to my bumper cover, Ron contacted me and made an offer. I consider the matter to be settled.

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PREM PP MANUAL OXFORD WHITE 201A
I just finished installing the CP-E intercooler, the intercooler is definitely high quality and fit perfect.

I watched a ton of videos on intercooler installation, and I decided to remove the bumper to install this. One thing I would warn everyone though, is take the bumper support and the small braces off so you can completely take off all the rubber boots to make installation easier. All the videos have seen the installer just slides the boots out of the way, but this will destroy you AC condenser fins. The condenser fins on the car are extremely fragile. I spent longer straightening out fins, then the actual IC install took.

jmmats

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost w/Performance Pack
There are two 5.5 mm (I think) bolts that help hold the bumper cover to the fender. These aren't mentioned at all in the instructions I received. The instructions say to pull the bumper cover directly away from the vehicle. In my experience, doing so will result in a pop-pop sound. That's plastic on the inside of your bumper cover tearing. Luckily, I stopped and pulled my front wheels off, and took more of the wheel well liners loose than they say you need to. I got in there with a flashlight and didn't see what to do at first. Then I saw the bolt I mentioned earlier, so I removed it. Just forward of that bolt are two metal clips with screws going into them from the outside. You can't access the heads of these screws. What I did is bend the clips slightly with my needle nose pliers, as they were too tight to just pull through and let the bumper cover disengage from the fender. I'm not too happy with how this was handled; when I came upon the snag caused by the bolts, I called cpe. I got connected to a guy named Mitch, who said he would take a picture of that part of their shop car and text it to me. I never heard from him. So I sent Ron a message through this site, and explained what was happening with him. He said he would get in touch with Mitch and see what was happening. Meanwhile, I went back outside to the car and discovered the bolts. I went ahead and finished the job. Neither Ron nor Mitch contacted me. The next day, which was yesterday, I sent Ron another message asking him if he had gotten in touch with Mitch. He said yes, and that when the instructions were made the shop car didn't have those bolts because they'd had it together and back apart so many times during development that they had been left out, I guess to save time. He offered no explanation as to why neither he nor Mitch had gotten back to me as they'd said they would. I responded by saying that while the purchase transaction had gone well, I wasn't too happy because the faulty instructions had caused me to damage my bumper cover. He has not responded so far. Luckily, you can't see the damage because the cover is still sitting flush and flat like it should, but I wonder what will happen in a few years when the sun has had some time to work on it. The part that snapped is what holds the very back of the cover in level with the front of the fender. If it was an old hooptie I wouldn't worry about it much, but the car has 1100 miles on it.

I guess I sort of took this off topic, but it irks me that a set of instructions that were admitted to be faulty caused me to damage my essentially brand new car and I haven't even received an apology, let alone an offer of anything to help make it right. Oh well, I do feel like the intercooler was a helluva good deal.

Unfortunately I just did the same thing, though the plastic was warm and I only managed to break the screw eyelet. It's a real shitty place for a screw regardless.

OP
OP

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Did you have the updated instructions or did you get the ones that tell you how to break the bumper cover?
Sponsored