Airaid or MMR Cold air intake

MyMilkshake...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M4 Competition & Tuned DS3R The Stang Killer
Sent this to Steve and thought others might want to read it

In Laymans terms,

Stock intake has an intake resonator, reducing intake noise, when the cylinder valve closes pressure waves travel backwards and bounce 3-4 times per valve closing stalling air reducing cylinder volumetric efficiency, in turn these pressure waves create a high pressure zone in your intake tube limiting airflow through the entire RPM range (harmonic pressure & intake tube resonance), so the intake resonator is essentially a expansion chamber slowing down pressure wave reversion, pressure waves are essentially sound giving them a place to expand their energy before exiting the air filter box dampening air filter noise however aiding volumetric efficiency & intake of air through reducing high pressure zones as stated above, making the engine seem quoted however more powerful, so why would you want to delete this on a aftermarket CAI? You wouldn't!

Also the stock air box is sealed, the plastic is a great heat shield reducing Intake Air Temperature (reducing the amount of hot air entering the engine), on the dyno with the bonnet open you don't get hot air stalling & heat soak around the cone filter thus increasing power compared to the stock air box, on the road heat soak is a huge issue & worse on an open element filter as the heat is being directly put into the engine, conical filters has a greater percentage of high pressure zones, as air is forced onto a smaller surface area than a flat high flow panel filter (stagnant air at the back) which can lead to pulsation down the intake tube

The biggest issue with the stock intake is the feed of airflow to the box, the feed is located in a high pressure zone behind the grille bar, most after market airboxes have a shorter feed & loose the ram air intake effect (making the problem even worse!)

Just a short & brief explanation, there is more but I don't want to write a dissertation
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Sent this to Steve and thought others might want to read it

In Laymans terms,

Stock intake has an intake resonator, reducing intake noise, when the cylinder valve closes pressure waves travel backwards and bounce 3-4 times per valve closing stalling air reducing cylinder volumetric efficiency, in turn these pressure waves create a high pressure zone in your intake tube limiting airflow through the entire RPM range (harmonic pressure & intake tube resonance), so the intake resonator is essentially a expansion chamber slowing down pressure wave reversion, pressure waves are essentially sound giving them a place to expand their energy before exiting the air filter box dampening air filter noise however aiding volumetric efficiency & intake of air through reducing high pressure zones as stated above, making the engine seem quoted however more powerful, so why would you want to delete this on a aftermarket CAI? You wouldn't!

Also the stock air box is sealed, the plastic is a great heat shield reducing Intake Air Temperature (reducing the amount of hot air entering the engine), on the dyno with the bonnet open you don't get hot air stalling & heat soak around the cone filter thus increasing power compared to the stock air box, on the road heat soak is a huge issue & worse on an open element filter as the heat is being directly put into the engine, conical filters has a greater percentage of high pressure zones, as air is forced onto a smaller surface area than a flat high flow panel filter (stagnant air at the back) which can lead to pulsation down the intake tube

The biggest issue with the stock intake is the feed of airflow to the box, the feed is located in a high pressure zone behind the grille bar, most after market airboxes have a shorter feed & loose the ram air intake effect (making the problem even worse!)

Just a short & brief explanation, there is more but I don't want to write a dissertation

Spot on!

Also a coupe of US guys who live at the drag strip also who had CAI's with tunes actually had their terminal speeds and quarter times hurt with the CAI due to heat soak you speak of. Because in the 1/4 you sit in the staging for a couple of minutes resulting in intake temperatures exploding with a CAI and thus reducing engine performance.

These guys kept their tune but adjusted for the stock intake with a panel filter and the result was they went faster with a higher terminal speed.

So in short for best performance, best efficiency keep the stock air box, put a panel filter into it, try to direct more cold air to it (velossa big mouth or similar) and get a tune/remap for the car. :)

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
There will also be a track key, this too me is a much better idea, start the car with a different key and have more power all warranty approved. :)
That's what I was thinking of! .... I knew it was something Gibbo had mentioned. This sounds like way the best idea to me. I assume the ECU would basically hold two maps then, and select the appropriate one depending on which key you use? I haven't really gone into it as there's only me driving the car, but isn't that kind of similar to the current 'MyKey' set up, where you can reduce the power and switch on all the nanny systems?

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
@Gibbo that is exactly why we recommend pairing a CAI and tune with our 160° EvenFlo thermostat. There simply is not a better combo of mods to start out with! We offer all 3 together as a bundle at a discounted price, HERE.

Sponsored

MyMilkshake...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M4 Competition & Tuned DS3R The Stang Killer
@Gibbo that is exactly why we recommend pairing a CAI and tune with our 160° EvenFlo thermostat. There simply is not a better combo of mods to start out with! We offer all 3 together as a bundle at a discounted price, HERE.
I know a better combo of mods... Panel Filter (Dry), Velossa Tech Mouth & the 160oC thermostat

Doesn't put a whole in my pocket and I get a better result :clap2:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know a better combo of mods... Panel Filter (Dry), Velossa Tech Mouth & the 160oC thermostat

Doesn't put a whole in my pocket and I get a better result :clap2:
Spot on again!

Livernois are a great tuner as well so that setup would be killer! :)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does your map also remove the torque limiter/restrictions the o.e. map has? What I mean is the stock Ford map will limit torque sometimes which can be annoying, does you map alter this in any way?

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
We limit the amount that torque management regulates what you can do. We raise the top speed limiter to a point that the car cannot reach, because you cannot flat out remove it. And yes, we do raise the rev limiter as well. The auto cars on top of all that also get revised shift points!

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We limit the amount that torque management regulates what you can do. We raise the top speed limiter to a point that the car cannot reach, because you cannot flat out remove it. And yes, we do raise the rev limiter as well. The auto cars on top of all that also get revised shift points!
Good to hear, but if one wishes OK to just leave rev limit at 7000 or wherever it is stock on a manual?

Sponsored

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
Guys, well those that know about this sort of thing.

So, I am looking at cold air intakes.

Now please remember that cosmetics are more important to me than performance upgrades. I consider the performance of my car to be awesome anyway so my mods are in this order of importantness (new word)

1. Looks
2. Sound
3. Handling
4. Performance

I want to slowly start making my car look nice under the bonnet and get rid of the mass of Black Plastic surrounding the engine.

So with that in mind, is there any reason I shouldn't go with one of these?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-synthaflow-cai-x4tuner-2015gt.html

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=79

Which one is best? (not looks wise, I can decide that)

What is the tuning thingy that comes with the Airaid (is it something I want/need)

Do both or either need a tune to work properly.

@Gibbo205 , despite our lack of agreement on tyres, your thoughts are more than welcome on this!!
[MENTION=8211]stevec[/MENTION] -

Good questions here.

1. Airaid is a no brainer to me. It's hands down that much more aesthetically pleasing to look at in comparison to a tube with a filter on the end. The Airbox itself is just "cool" - There's no too many styles like this out there and the plexiglass is just another conversation piece

2. Sounds - Most if not all are going to have a nice little "whoosh" under the hood. Granted it wouldn't be as audible as a turbocharged car you're still going to hear it through the rpm range.

3. Not sure how you mean on handling?

4. Debatable - A lot of people have their fair share of comments on the factroy intake that it just cannot be improved upon. I don't have a background in physics/thermodynamics but a larger diameter tube with larger filter to me means more power.

5. I know how you mean under the hood. It could be cleaned up yeah?

6. The "best" is debatable again. I've had JLT's, BBK's, and Airaids. I like Airaid so much that I just bought another for my truck (Apples to Oranges) I know. I like their company because of our relationship, the quality of the parts, and most if not all, how it looks under the hood.

7. Tuning Thingy - That gizmo right there recalibrates the engine computer but you "do not" need it and could purchase just the intake here.

8. You do not need one to run the other.

Let me know if I've missed anything here at all.

Cheers

OP
OP
stevec

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
[MENTION=8211]stevec[/MENTION] -

Good questions here.

1. Airaid is a no brainer to me. It's hands down that much more aesthetically pleasing to look at in comparison to a tube with a filter on the end. The Airbox itself is just "cool" - There's no too many styles like this out there and the plexiglass is just another conversation piece

2. Sounds - Most if not all are going to have a nice little "whoosh" under the hood. Granted it wouldn't be as audible as a turbocharged car you're still going to hear it through the rpm range.

3. Not sure how you mean on handling?

4. Debatable - A lot of people have their fair share of comments on the factroy intake that it just cannot be improved upon. I don't have a background in physics/thermodynamics but a larger diameter tube with larger filter to me means more power.

5. I know how you mean under the hood. It could be cleaned up yeah?

6. The "best" is debatable again. I've had JLT's, BBK's, and Airaids. I like Airaid so much that I just bought another for my truck (Apples to Oranges) I know. I like their company because of our relationship, the quality of the parts, and most if not all, how it looks under the hood.

7. Tuning Thingy - That gizmo right there recalibrates the engine computer but you "do not" need it and could purchase just the intake here.

8. You do not need one to run the other.

Let me know if I've missed anything here at all.

Cheers
Cheers,

Regarding handling, I was talking about mods in general not the CAI!

Am listening to all comments.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm of the mind that unless you're going to get a tune done, a high flow (DRY!) filter is all that you should install (from a value perspective). Not going to increase horsepower enough without a tune to justify spending $250 unless you consider the look of it justification, too. The OEM intake supports 435 HP. Obviously it's capable.

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
Cheers,

Regarding handling, I was talking about mods in general not the CAI!

Am listening to all comments.
That's just what we do here!

There's a fair amount that can be done but I don't want to hijack the thread with suggestions/recommendations.

Springs - Eibach = Brilliant.
Sponsored