Sponsored

Airaid or MMR Cold air intake

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Guys, well those that know about this sort of thing.

So, I am looking at cold air intakes.

Now please remember that cosmetics are more important to me than performance upgrades. I consider the performance of my car to be awesome anyway so my mods are in this order of importantness (new word)

1. Looks
2. Sound
3. Handling
4. Performance

I want to slowly start making my car look nice under the bonnet and get rid of the mass of Black Plastic surrounding the engine.

So with that in mind, is there any reason I shouldn't go with one of these?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-synthaflow-cai-x4tuner-2015gt.html

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=79

Which one is best? (not looks wise, I can decide that)

What is the tuning thingy that comes with the Airaid (is it something I want/need)

Do both or either need a tune to work properly.

[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] , despite our lack of agreement on tyres, your thoughts are more than welcome on this!!
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I might throw a spanner in your works, have you considered a K&N cold air intake (Aircharger?)
http://www.americanmuscle.com/kn-series-63-cai-2015gt.html

For my Ecoboost a lot of owners have recommended to me from the US side the K&N is better than most other brands, but that might just be a 'Samsung vs HTC' style pitch for intakes...

I'm in no way mechanically knowledged to be able to advice you on which is best, just giving you another option... I'll leave the engineering stuff to those that know and wont pretend to waste your time... Gibbo, Dave (GT1010) - any of the two of you reading this, or any of our other UK-Engineers/mechs, give us a hand :)

OP
OP
stevec

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Nah, ugly.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
And dont suggest the Roush one either....ugly!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Boo you with your little pretty parts haha!

Are you planning to get some body coloured engine covers or something? Fairly cheap mod that'll make your engine abit more aesthetically pleasing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
From someone that's risk averse ((C) my financial advisor) I would be wary of compromising my warranty. I also do not have much of a mechanical bent (my medium is wood) tho I'm sure the more able forumites will touch on this.

I'm thinking of some coil covers though to add some colour ;)

OP
OP
stevec

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
I have checked with Ford and they confirmed fitting parts like this is unlikely to affect warranty claims unless they can prove the part FAILED and caused a problem on another part.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I have checked with Ford and they confirmed fitting parts like this is unlikely to affect warranty claims unless they can prove the part FAILED and caused a problem on another part.
...and now i'm interested ;)

OP
OP
stevec

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Boo you with your little pretty parts haha!

Are you planning to get some body coloured engine covers or something? Fairly cheap mod that'll make your engine abit more aesthetically pleasing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Yep, or I may get them done by the guy that parted my external parts.
Am also thinking of replacing items such as the header tank with aluminium ones and the same with fuse box cover and stuff.

Plenty of parts available but its just a case of chosing the right parts and doing the right bits so it doesnt look cheap and tacky.

djone101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
None
Vehicle(s)
None
We've fitted both the Roush one and an Airaid one (this week in fact)
The Roush one is a better quality product. The fittings for the breather hoses didn't fit as well on the Airaid one. I'm not a fan of the window styling on the Airaid either - I can't see it staying clean very long.

Customer with the Airaid one reports better throttle response. There was no significant noise change. Particularly since we've changed exhausts on both cars too.

You don't want the tune - they won't work on Euro/UK cars.

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)

If nothing less than the absolute best intake system will do for your 2015 5.0 Mustang GT! This Severe Windstorm Air Intake System represents the ultimate in cold air induction systems, and delivers even higher levels of horsepower and acceleration gains. This Severe Windstorm Air Intake starts with a replacement one-piece rotationally molded air box that addresses the shortcomings of the restrictive factory design. The inlet tube it is hand contoured by Livernois Motorsports' highly trained technicians to get even more flow. This system also has a built-in velocity stack, which further promotes airflow. Also housed inside the airbox is a Windstorm premium cleanable dry air filter for outstanding airflow and filtration. What this all means is that you get a simple-to-install, yet extremely sophisticated system to increase air flow, due to the Severe increase in airflow computer recalibration is required after installation. Get our My Calibrator tuner LPP631124 and get the most performance out of your 5.0 Mustang GT!

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Keep the stock box, fit aem dry filter and this airaid modular tube, not sure about gains but after a few weeks now it sounds louder
Don't forget Ford sticker over airaid badge lol!
20160312_155045.jpg

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Air raid is best design as is still a true cold air intake and you can pick the cone filter colour, think they have red, blue and yellow.

If sound is priority then fit a Roush CAI?

They do little to nothing for power unless you get a tune, so it is all about looks and sound. :)

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
We've fitted both the Roush one and an Airaid one (this week in fact)
The Roush one is a better quality product. The fittings for the breather hoses didn't fit as well on the Airaid one. I'm not a fan of the window styling on the Airaid either - I can't see it staying clean very long.

Customer with the Airaid one reports better throttle response. There was no significant noise change. Particularly since we've changed exhausts on both cars too.

You don't want the tune - they won't work on Euro/UK cars.
Hi Dave. Something I've noticed on some of the CAI's is that they disconnect the intake resonator pipe and require a grommet in the bulkhead - something I'm sure some people would be keen to avoid doing. Do you happen to have any insight into which systems keep the pipe and which remove it? Sometimes it's not awfully clear from the CJ's/AM or whoever's website descriptions.

I'm just sticking with a drop-in K&N at the moment, I believe Ford Performance are going to release a cold air system shortly are they not? Can't remember where I heard that - Gibbo, did you hear something about that when you were on your rolling road session? Cheers ....
Sponsored