Sponsored

A/C Auto mode - no air to footwells?

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I noticed that with the climate system in auto mode, the A/C will only blow from the dash vents. If I turn off auto and manually select the footwell vents, I get air in the footwell. Is there some way to get air to blow in the footwell when in auto mode?
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I noticed that with the climate system in auto mode, the A/C will only blow from the dash vents. If I turn off auto and manually select the footwell vents, I get air in the footwell. Is there some way to get air to blow in the footwell when in auto mode?
No, I think it does that by design since cold air naturally flows downward since it is denser. I have to go re-enable it every time I go max A/C.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Only when it's cold outside.
Most automatic climate control will direct air to footwell when it's blowing hot air and dash vents when blowing cold air because when you are cold, you feet feel colder and when you are hot your head feels hotter.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, I think it does that by design since cold air naturally flows downward since it is denser. I have to go re-enable it every time I go max A/C.

I figured that might be why, but I think its' dumb. Why should I have to wait until the air settles down to my legs and feet when it could blow directly on them? Oh well, first world problem I guess - I'll just use manual mode for A/C.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I figured that might be why, but I think its' dumb. Why should I have to wait until the air settles down to my legs and feet when it could blow directly on them? Oh well, first world problem I guess - I'll just use manual mode for A/C.
That's like saying why is my automatic transmission in 6th gear when I want it in 5th gear?
It's automatic not telepathic.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's like saying why is my automatic transmission in 6th gear when I want it in 5th gear?
It's automatic not telepathic.

I just don't see why you can't have the footwell vent on but still use auto mode to maintain the temp, blower speed, etc. If I turn on the footwell vent, I have to be in full manual mode - makes no sense to me.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I just don't see why you can't have the footwell vent on but still use auto mode to maintain the temp, blower speed, etc. If I turn on the footwell vent, I have to be in full manual mode - makes no sense to me.
You can. When you in auto mode, you can change the vents and still keep auto air speed.
If you go to Sync climate control screen, the fan speed is still automatic.
On systems like my WRX Limited, it will show auto if one of the setting is changed to manual. Only full auto if fan speed and vent position is auto.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can. When you in auto mode, you can change the vents and still keep auto air speed.
If you go to Sync climate control screen, the fan speed is still automatic.
On systems like my WRX Limited, it will show auto if one of the setting is changed to manual. Only full auto if fan speed and vent position is auto.

Good to know. Thanks. It would be nice if you could customize auto mode so don't have to go in and select the floor vents every time. But again - first world problems.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Good to know. Thanks. It would be nice if you could customize auto mode so don't have to go in and select the floor vents every time. But again - first world problems.
You must have very hot feet.:D

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You must have very hot feet.:D

Yea, its' been high 90s here lately and my car sits out in the sun all day. Even with remote start, when I get in it is HOT. I wear sneakers at work (health care), so sneakers, socks, and 110 degrees sucks. A/C cools off my upper body, but my legs and feet are still sweating through the scrubs and the sneakers. The sooner they cool off, the happier I am. Thus the desire for the footwell vent.

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
It may also have something to do with the location of the sensor(s) for the auto setting. If there is one near the floor and it got cooled too quickly, that would muck up the system.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Yea, its' been high 90s here lately and my car sits out in the sun all day. Even with remote start, when I get in it is HOT. I wear sneakers at work (health care), so sneakers, socks, and 110 degrees sucks. A/C cools off my upper body, but my legs and feet are still sweating through the scrubs and the sneakers. The sooner they cool off, the happier I am. Thus the desire for the footwell vent.
You know if you think your remote start is not cooling well, you might want to change in the center dash to have the climate control to come on using your last setting. If you select automatic, it will default to 72F which might be too high for some people.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You know if you think your remote start is not cooling well, you might want to change in the center dash to have the climate control to come on using your last setting. If you select automatic, it will default to 72F which might be too high for some people.

It's only running for maybe 30 seconds before I get to it - I remote start it as I'm walking to it in the parking lot. So I don't think it runs long enough to make much difference. I also remote open the windows, which helps - much better than being there when that initial blast of ultra hot air is released from the cabin. It's amazing how far away the remote start and windows works.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Scrubs and sneakers? That's barely wearing clothes. Try dress clothes and leather shoes. And Florida. Wish there was a way to at least remotely enable the A/C for a period of time with a manual-trans car. Sad panda.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Not seeing an issue here. When u get in, hit the button for ac seats, then also floor. Done and done.

When your ass & toes are frosty and can go back to automatic climate control.
Sponsored