I just saved £500 on my car insurance

Spoonex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Mustang GT
Before becoming an owner I ran some quick quotes to get a feel for the insurance cost. Average prices came back at around £500 (32yr old male, no convictions, etc). OK I thought, and got to work saving my pocket money.

Fast forward to January 2018 I'm days away from picking up my Mustang GT so I pull up the comparison sites again to get my insurance sorted, only to find that I was using my 10+ years no claims bonus on those original quotes, which are already in use on the family car. Without them, the best I could get was about £800 from Admiral.

I spent all morning on the phone to Adrian Flux, A Plan, Sky Insurance and none of them could get below £1000.

Tried adding it as an extra car to my current family car insurance policy... £900.
Then I randomly gave Admiral Multi-Car a try, to see if it would be worth cancelling and switching the family car policy mid-term...

£320 for the Mustang (including mods!), plus £80 to cover my family car from when the current policy expires in Sept through to Jan 2019, then they'll both renew together.

The price drop from £800ish to £320 was brill, but not even having to cancel my current family car policy was a bonus. I guess I now just have to hope the renewal price is competitive come January 2019!
Thought I'd share my story in case anyone else is in a similar situation. I'm pretty happy with the result :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I had a multicar policy with admiral, until I told them to stick it last year...:D

They’re the only insurance Co that will load your policy for attending a speed awareness course:shrug::crazy:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I can't say enough good things about Admiral multi car.

I'm paying around £600 for My Mustang + almost £300 for my Fiesta. I'm 30, not as many years no claims - accident within the last 3 years (Oct 15).

I wouldn't be worried about next year - spend a little time on comparison websites, bend the truth a little to your advantage & challenge them to beat your best quote - they pretty much always come up better than I expect.

Worth noting - the next nearest quote I got for the Mustang was around £300 more, and I did a lot of searching!

So the question for you is - what are you spending your £500 on??? :D

OP
OP
Spoonex

Spoonex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Mustang GT
I had a multicar policy with admiral, until I told them to stick it last year...:D

They’re the only insurance Co that will load your policy for attending a speed awareness course:shrug::crazy:
I did see that checkbox right at the end and thought it was a bit unusual. I’ll have to be on my best behaviour this year! Hopefully 1 year NCB on the Mustang will make all the difference for renewal options come January 2019

OP
OP
Spoonex

Spoonex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Mustang GT
So the question for you is - what are you spending your £500 on??? :D
I like your thinking! :cool:

Probably £500 worth of fuel for when I finally collect it next week

Sponsored

Snap On Pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
S550GT 2017MY Grabber Blue
The whole insurance industry is a joke tbh...

What difference what no claims you have on what vehicle i can never understand..! If you have driven for 20 years say, and had no claims then thats that ! no.......!

It makes even more nonsense when u own a classic stang or a hot rod, and they dont even bother asking on those policies...

Then u change yr car and u are back to square one...Its Bollox.!

It costs me more to insure my dog, than a brand new £41k Mustang !!::shrug::frusty::headbonk:

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I was on admiral multi car while the mustang was stock and they weee super competitive. However I found them unfriendly to modifications and unwilling to cover some mods at any price sadly. What have you got listed on your policy?

OP
OP
Spoonex

Spoonex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Mustang GT
I was on admiral multi car while the mustang was stock and they weee super competitive. However I found them unfriendly to modifications and unwilling to cover some mods at any price sadly. What have you got listed on your policy?
Exhaust system (cosmetic), lowered suspension <5cm & alloy wheels, all picked from their list of options. Dash cam was on the list too, which knocked a few quid off. I decided to just stick them all on from the start to save me the admin fee later. It will also give me an excuse to get on with them!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
£500 on mods then :D!

Sponsored

Wobs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
When it comes to renewal time, they will ramp the price up....

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
When it comes to renewal time, they will ramp the price up....
and then you fuck off elsewhere, and come back the year after when they've stopped wanting repeat business.

Insurance seems to be a case of catching someone for a year, than locking them in for life, which is odd, but must work as they're swimming in cash. :lol:

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Worth remembering, you can split your no claims across 2 policies/vehicles. Often the biggest discount comes with the first few years. So if, for example, you had 10 years NCD, try putting 5 on each policy/vehicle. While one policy will inevitably go up, the savings on the other policy may be greater than the increase.

Whole thing is a scam though. In my view, if you have 2 cars on one policy, you should only pay the price of the most expensive vehicle (plus maybe a reasonable admin fee) as you can only drive one vehicle at once. Same goes for road tax - I'd pay that by the mile any day of the week.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Worth remembering, you can split your no claims across 2 policies/vehicles. Often the biggest discount comes with the first few years. So if, for example, you had 10 years NCD, try putting 5 on each policy/vehicle. While one policy will inevitably go up, the savings on the other policy may be greater than the increase.
I did not know this. They keep that quiet!

Whole thing is a scam though. In my view, if you have 2 cars on one policy, you should only pay the price of the most expensive vehicle (plus maybe a reasonable admin fee) as you can only drive one vehicle at once. Same goes for road tax - I'd pay that by the mile any day of the week.
Your other car could be getting nicked while you're out in the first one though. Or your wife/kids could be doing what they do in it.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

You have just jogged my memory. Admiral did exactly this for me. I had 4 years ncb on my fiesta but only 2 on the mustang, they swapped it over to bring the quote down which worked, obviously I wasn’t going to question their methods!

Need to get through to someone who knows what they are doing though...some agents are not as helpful as others, but more often than not, I found that they go out of their way to get the best premium for me.
Sponsored