Sponsored

RK Sport Ram Air Hood - Maybe Trufiber Instead!

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
After looking at all the options out there, I finally settled on a choice for a new hood. I wanted something that was going to be functional and at the same time give the car a little more aggressive look. I was really drawn to the flowing lines of the hood that, in my opinion, will complement those on the car. I also like design and location of the heat extractors better than the plastic ones in all the rest of the hoods out there.

Hood was just received today and from what I have seen so far the quality looks good. Once I get it completely unpacked I'll be able to check everything out, including the underside.

The weather here this week is no good so it may be a few weeks before I take the car and the hood to the shop for fitting and paint. I'll post a few more pics and thoughts along the way, and will let everyone know what the shop thinks about the quality of this hood compared to the ones they have worked on.

Here are a few photos for now...
New Hood.jpg
New Hood 2.jpg
New Hood 3.jpg
New Hood 4.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I have an RK Sport hood on my '05. Quality piece since I bought it in '06

Had to block sand it pretty good (black paint), but it fits well and has held up, no cracks or other BS

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I have an RK Sport hood on my '05. Quality piece since I bought it in '06

Had to block sand it pretty good (black paint), but it fits well and has held up, no cracks or other BS
Thank you. That's good to hear! Certainly appears to be a quality piece. Black here as well so I'm expecting some extra prep time to get it right.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I painted the mesh satin black too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I painted the mesh satin black too.
I plan on doing the mesh flat black on mine. The stainless looks good, just not for me.

OP got pics?
The only other pic I have is one of the underside that I'll post below. However, stay tuned! I have an appointment set up at the shop for the 7th of next month for test fitting and to begin the prep work. Once I get the car back from the shop, I'll post more photos of the final product.
New Hood 5.jpg

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I like it, looking forward to seeing it when it's finished!

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure the paint shop covers all threaded bolt holes for hood hinges and catch to keep paint and clear away from the threads. I stuffed the threaded holes with balled up tape

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
That looks sharp. Is it any lighter than the OE?

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Make sure the paint shop covers all threaded bolt holes for hood hinges and catch to keep paint and clear away from the threads. I stuffed the threaded holes with balled up tape
Actually on both the OEM and these hoods, there aren't any threaded holes in the hood. There are threaded studs, reinforced with metal plates behind the fiberglass, for both the hinges and the catch. :thumbsup:

That looks sharp. Is it any lighter than the OE?
Thanks! I'm hoping that it looks just as sharp once it's prepped, painted, and actually on the car.

I don't believe that it is any lighter. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the OEM hoods to weigh in around 30 lbs., while most of the aftermarket fiberglass hoods tip the scales around 40 lbs. This is just what I seem to recall, as I haven't weighed either of them.

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
After looking at all the options out there, I finally settled on a choice for a new hood. I wanted something that was going to be functional and at the same time give the car a little more aggressive look. I was really drawn to the flowing lines of the hood that, in my opinion, will complement those on the car. I also like design and location of the heat extractors better than the plastic ones in all the rest of the hoods out there.

Hood was just received today and from what I have seen so far the quality looks good. Once I get it completely unpacked I'll be able to check everything out, including the underside.

The weather here this week is no good so it may be a few weeks before I take the car and the hood to the shop for fitting and paint. I'll post a few more pics and thoughts along the way, and will let everyone know what the shop thinks about the quality of this hood compared to the ones they have worked on.

Here are a few photos for now...
Just saw this thread.....Hood looks great. Looking forward to seeing pics of the final outcome....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually on both the OEM and these hoods, there aren't any threaded holes in the hood. There are threaded studs, reinforced with metal plates behind the fiberglass, for both the hinges and the catch. :thumbsup:

Oh ok, my '05 is the opposite.

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Would you say this is heavier than stock hood?
Thanks to [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION], and his "what things weigh" thread, I can tell you that the OEM hood with pad weighs 36 lbs. Weighed this hood tonight on my scales at home (so give or take a couple pounds) and it came in at 49.8 lbs.

hamzah596

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION], and his "what things weigh" thread, I can tell you that the OEM hood with pad weighs 36 lbs. Weighed this hood tonight on my scales at home (so give or take a couple pounds) and it came in at 49.8 lbs.
Oh wow I know the stalker hood is very heavy so I have to see how much that weighs!
Sponsored