Sponsored

RK Sport Ram Air Hood - Maybe Trufiber Instead!

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Oh wow I know the stalker hood is very heavy so I have to see how much that weighs!
Ford did a good job on weight savings on certain areas of these cars. If saving weight is your primary goal and your willing to part ways with some coin, carbon fiber options are available that weigh less than the OEM hood. There are also options out there for fiberglass that are closer to 40 lbs. if u like the design.

We will see here in a couple weeks if I'm still as happy as I am now with the design of this hood!;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Quick update - things have not quite gone to plan so far. Dropped off the hood and car at the body shop yesterday. When trying to fit the hood they ran into a few issues. There are areas on the edges where the thickness varies greatly. The biggest issue is that the left front corner sits low enough that its close to the headlight, while the right side barely touches the weatherstrip across the nose. Good news is after sending photos to the vendor I purchased the hood from they quickly agreed to replace the hood. I'm just waiting on them to decide if they want to make arrangements to have the hood returned or just have the shop destroy it.

I don't have a chance to post photos now but I will soon. I'm hoping this is just an isolated defective part and the next hood works. If not then I'll have to decide on another choice or stick with the factory hood for now.

More to come...

hamzah596

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Quick update - things have not quite gone to plan so far. Dropped off the hood and car at the body shop yesterday. When trying to fit the hood they ran into a few issues. There are areas on the edges where the thickness varies greatly. The biggest issue is that the left front corner sits low enough that its close to the headlight, while the right side barely touches the weatherstrip across the nose. Good news is after sending photos to the vendor I purchased the hood from they quickly agreed to replace the hood. I'm just waiting on them to decide if they want to make arrangements to have the hood returned or just have the shop destroy it.

I don't have a chance to post photos now but I will soon. I'm hoping this is just an isolated defective part and the next hood works. If not then I'll have to decide on another choice or stick with the factory hood for now.

More to come...

That’s my fear lol. I hope the vendor sends you a new one. I’m going through American muscle for this because I know their return policy is great. Thanks for the update!

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
That’s my fear lol. I hope the vendor sends you a new one. I’m going through American muscle for this because I know their return policy is great. Thanks for the update!
That is where I purchased from as well.

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
So after discussing with American Muscle my concerns with this hood and sending them photos, they are concerned that a replacement may have the same issues due to the part mold. While I like the style of this hood over others, I'm not willing to sacrifice fitment. I'll post some photos below so you can see what the issues are. The left front corner sits so low my body shop is concerned about premature wear of the front hood seal, while the right front corner is barely making contact with the seal. You can also see repairs that were done at the manufacturer on the right front corner have lead to substantial variations in thickness.

As of now, I'm leaning towards the Trufiber Ram Air hood. I'll post more updates as I move along...
Hood Body Lines.jpg
Hood Right Side Raised 2.jpg
Hood Right Side Raised.jpg
Hood Right Side Thickness.jpg
Hood Thickness Uneven.jpg

Sponsored

hamzah596

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
did you ever return it and get it straight? i looked at hoods again but i like this one way too much lol

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
did you ever return it and get it straight? i looked at hoods again but i like this one way too much lol
Funny you should ask as I've been dealing with this very issue tonight.

RK Sport has been dragging their feet on deciding whether or not they wanted the old hood back. They finally decided they want it back and were supposed to reach out to me and make arrangements; however, this still hasn't happened. American Muscle didn't want to process my exchange for a replacement hood until it was decided what was going to happen with the current RK Sport hood.

I got tired of waiting since my car is in the shop waiting on a hood and placed a completely separate order for another hood last Thursday from AM. I ordered the TruFiber Ram Air hood. After my order continued to show "Processing" since last Thursday, I called them this evening just to find out it won't ship until tomorrow.

My car has now been at the body shop for two weeks due to a defective hood from RK Sport and now delayed shipping on a replacement TruFiber hood, all the while I still have two charges on my credit card and not a single hood I can use yet... :frusty:

I do have to give AM credit though. They have been nothing but super nice and understanding through the whole process, and anyone I have spoken with has done their best to make things right.

hamzah596

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Funny you should ask as I've been dealing with this very issue tonight.

RK Sport has been dragging their feet on deciding whether or not they wanted the old hood back. They finally decided they want it back and were supposed to reach out to me and make arrangements; however, this still hasn't happened. American Muscle didn't want to process my exchange for a replacement hood until it was decided what was going to happen with the current RK Sport hood.

I got tired of waiting since my car is in the shop waiting on a hood and placed a completely separate order for another hood last Thursday from AM. I ordered the TruFiber Ram Air hood. After my order continued to show "Processing" since last Thursday, I called them this evening just to find out it won't ship until tomorrow.

My car has now been at the body shop for two weeks due to a defective hood from RK Sport and now delayed shipping on a replacement TruFiber hood, all the while I still have two charges on my credit card and not a single hood I can use yet... :frusty:

I do have to give AM credit though. They have been nothing but super nice and understanding through the whole process, and anyone I have spoken with has done their best to make things right.

That is a very crappy situation. I hope you’ll get it all fixed. I’m sure AM can accommodate the 2 weeks at the shop

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
That is a very crappy situation. I hope you’ll get it all fixed. I’m sure AM can accommodate the 2 weeks at the shop
Thanks! There are certainly worse things in life to deal with. Just ready to get my car back. It'll all get worked out.

08StangGT_CS

Fight The Urge to Boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Race Red No Options
So.... got it?

Sponsored
OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
So.... got it?
Not yet. After waiting 9 days for AM to ship the TruFiber hood, they finally let me know they didn't have one in stock and that it was backordered. This all the while their website still shows the hood in stock. Had to cancel that order and ordered one direct from TruFiber that was just delivered to the body shop this afternoon.

Hopefully I have more updates next week!

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Finally some good news! The TruFiber hood was received by the shop and appears to be in good condition. The shop has fit the hood and say the fit and quality of this hood is MUCH better than the RK Sport. Fitment is good enough the shop indicated the only work needed will be priming and blocking. I'm hoping to get the car back next week.
TruFiber Hood.jpg
TruFiber Hood Fitment.jpg

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Good to hear. Hope it ends up well, nice looking hood.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Glad to hear that, DRKHORS. I've been thinking about the same style hood. Which version did you get, fiberglass, CF, or ultralight CF?

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Glad to hear that, DRKHORS. I've been thinking about the same style hood. Which version did you get, fiberglass, CF, or ultralight CF?
Thanks! Fiberglass for me. Couldn't justify the expense of carbon fiber for a part that is going to end up being painted to match. Didn't get a chance to weigh this one since it was shipped direct to the shop, but it is supposed to be within 5 - 10 pounds of the factory hood.
Sponsored