Sponsored

performance pack brake cooling

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
The GT PP doesn't have a dust shield. It has a heat shield to protect the ball joints.

The deflector on the control arm deflects the air to the MIDDLE of the rotor, where it then travels in the veins to the outside of the rotor. People commonly mischaracterize the veins as being backwards when in reality the airflow direction is OUT of the rotor towards the barrel of the wheel, not INTO the rotor towards the hub..
Interesting. The base GT/EB PP rotors have the hub end of the cooling vanes on the outside of the rotor. Honestly, I've handled dozens of vented brake rotors over the years, and I can't ever recall seeing a vented rotor where the vanes towards the hub were not on the inside, like they are on the GT PP rotors. I guess that also explains why Ford made no provisions to direct air to the inside of the front rotor o the GT/EB PP rotors.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. The base GT/EB PP rotors have the hub end of the cooling vanes on the outside of the rotor. Honestly, I've handled dozens of vented brake rotors over the years, and I can't ever recall seeing a vented rotor where the vanes towards the hub were not on the inside, like they are on the GT PP rotors. I guess that also explains why Ford made no provisions to direct air to the inside of the front rotor o the GT/EB PP rotors.
Interesting...so I'm now doubting the effectiveness of a brake cooling kit on the stock non PP rotors. I'm sure it'll still help, but much less than for a more conventional rotor.

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What most people don't realize is how many people use too much brake and inadvertently burn their brakes. The stock pads have a certain brake temp range. So over braking(getting on them too soon and then staying on them for too long) can overheat them and get them out of their happy zone. With better pads/tires you can shorten your brake distance which helps with cooling as you are spending less time on them. I ran my car as hard as possible in bone stock trim and found in the 18th minute of a 20 minute session that the brakes were no longer happy. As an instructor I see this over braking almost every HPDE 1 student. I stepped up to an autocross style pad and have not had any issues with just the stock PP brake cooling.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Race pads are made to handle high heat and only start to work when they are hot which is why they are not good for the street or highway use. A couple of times when I first started racing I would swear my brakes were not working on the out lap.

On track it's WOT, hit braking zone, threshold brake, downshift, hit turn in, roll on gas before apex, hit track out, WOT. No coasting, no dragging brakes.

Brake rotors are centrifugal air pumps that pull air from the center ID of the rotor and slinging out at the OD. Most race cars do not have heat shields and all the air is ducted to the center of the rotor.

My $.02

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What most people don't realize is how many people use too much brake and inadvertently burn their brakes. The stock pads have a certain brake temp range. So over braking(getting on them too soon and then staying on them for too long) can overheat them and get them out of their happy zone. With better pads/tires you can shorten your brake distance which helps with cooling as you are spending less time on them. I ran my car as hard as possible in bone stock trim and found in the 18th minute of a 20 minute session that the brakes were no longer happy. As an instructor I see this over braking almost every HPDE 1 student. I stepped up to an autocross style pad and have not had any issues with just the stock PP brake cooling.
Bingo!

Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
What pad?

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had pretty good experiences (in my Porsches) with Stop Tech Sport as a pad that can hold up on track, but still be livable on the street. However, they do not appear to be making pads for S550 Mustangs. :shrug:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have had pretty good experiences (in my Porsches) with Stop Tech Sport as a pad that can hold up on track, but still be livable on the street. However, they do not appear to be making pads for S550 Mustangs. :shrug:
Would suggest Powerstop Track Day pads. Handful of guys here using them with great results. Inexpensive too.

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What pad?
A local racer who started his own business has made his own formula in conjunction with a major pad maker. If you search We Don't Lift Racing, I know he has his Facebook page up and running. Not sure if his website is up.

16stangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I second GJarret's questions :

Is it simply a different mold of belly pan that uses the same mounting points?
Same question for the air deflectors on the control arm...
Sponsored