Sponsored

A media member's honest GT350/R review....

jmimac351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
gl

Yes, I think everyone here already is well aware that the GT350 is intended to have its best attributes shine in the road course environment however small that niche may be for a Ford Mustang. What I am saying and th Ford engineers well understand is that this car is going to still need to put up respectable if not downright impressive straight line stats. This is NOT a Cayman or a Boxster that gets a pass for weaknesses in other areas. Most of the guys I have known who gravitate towards that stuff are more concerned about how their new driving gloves and shoes look rather than what 1/4 mile slips they are handed. Essentially what some of us are saying here is that a Mustang isn't going to get a pass the way some known European "puss" cars do.
That remains to be seen. My interest in the car has nothing to do with straight line stats, and everything to do with what I experienced on a road course. I had ZERO interest in this car for road course duty, until I drove it. I thought it would probably be cool. I was shocked by how good it is. The straight line performance is already baked. People can look at power / weight and it shouldn't be a secret for anyone who really cares about that.

Not everyone will "get" the car, and that's fine. Ford is hoping that enough people do. A lot more Mustangs show up at track events than people may realize, and that's before a platform like this existed.
Sponsored

sgrinavi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman S & 2013 328i
It is too bad they cut out the best part of the track, they should have just electronically limited the speed to 130 or 140 if that was the concern. Bishops bend is nothing short of a thrill ride, the set up into 16 to get the best speed on the straight is an art-form - you are on the verge of spinning or going off track nearly every lap, 17 will make your butt pucker and turn 1 is a hoot when you apex 2 feet away from a concrete wall going at a rapid pace - 3/4/5 is a roller coaster ride...

smbstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
the set up into 16 to get the best speed on the straight is an art-form - you are on the verge of spinning or going off track nearly every lap, 17 will make your butt pucker and turn 1 is a hoot when you apex 2 feet away from a concrete wall going at a rapid pace - 3/4/5 is a roller coaster ride...
....And some of the other reasons they didn't run the full course.

16 is always a hot spot (driver's right inside wall where all the skid marks are) and 17 invites trail braking, which I'm sure 90% of the participants don't know how to properly execute.

sgrinavi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman S & 2013 328i
....And some of the other reasons they didn't run the full course.

16 is always a hot spot (driver's right inside wall where all the skid marks are) and 17 invites trail braking, which I'm sure 90% of the participants don't know how to properly execute.

You actually don't see a lot of crashes at 17 or 1, but, ya, 16 is a bitch.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
gl

Yes, I think everyone here already is well aware that the GT350 is intended to have its best attributes shine in the road course environment however small that niche may be for a Ford Mustang. What I am saying and th Ford engineers well understand is that this car is going to still need to put up respectable if not downright impressive straight line stats. This is NOT a Cayman or a Boxster that gets a pass for weaknesses in other areas. Most of the guys I have known who gravitate towards that stuff are more concerned about how their new driving gloves and shoes look rather than what 1/4 mile slips they are handed. Essentially what some of us are saying here is that a Mustang isn't going to get a pass the way some known European "puss" cars do.
puss cars, lol. Those puss cars would likely make you crap yourself on a road course.

Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
A crap? In a Boxster? Really? Sorry Dude but that is a chicks car or a gay guys dream ride. I'll pull a good 2nd gear in a GT500 and give most people a heart attack.

Crap yourself in a boxster on a road course not likely since they are pretty slow. But road course vs the 1/4 is huge difference. Get behind the wheel with someone that knows how to drive on a road course professionally in a quick car and you'll def crap yourself. Going straight line in a gt500 down the 1/4 ill probably fall asleep in comparison. Heart attack to an old lady is likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
A crap? In a Boxster? Really? Sorry Dude but that is a chicks car or a gay guys dream ride. I'll pull a good 2nd gear in a GT500 and give most people a heart attack.
A chick or gay guy on a boxster spyder will give you 5 seconds on a 1 minute lap track like Lime Rock. In a 20 mins HPD session they'll lap you twice.

OP
OP
Bossing

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Your car tastes are very one-dimensional. I think we're done here.
Crap yourself in a boxster on a road course not likely since they are pretty slow. But road course vs the 1/4 is huge difference. Get behind the wheel with someone that knows how to drive on a road course professionally in a quick car and you'll def crap yourself. Going straight line in a gt500 down the 1/4 ill probably fall asleep in comparison. Heart attack to an old lady is likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A chick or guy in a boxster spyder will give you 5 seconds on a 1 minute lap track like Lime Rock. In a 20 mins HPD session they'll lap you twice.
^^^ :amen: x 3!

Even a Boxster S with an excellent driver can hang on my tail on a road course turns... and no I'm not ashamed, because I respect folks who have more skills than me even if they're in a lesser powered so-called "puss" car.

17177149733_2b8383a14c_c.jpg

smbstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
A crap? In a Boxster? Really? I'll pull a good 2nd gear in a GT500 and give most people a heart attack.
Open invitation to one of our track events, where we can give you a ride along with one of our senior instructors' "puss" Boxster, and I am certain you'll change your mind.... :)

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Just admit you are ignorant on what is truly fast on the road course, if you have actually been to a track with turns more than a hand full of times to mash it in the straights and park it in the corners,you would not have made those comments.

A decent shoe in a boxter would likely be all up your ass in a GT500, making you question your sexuality by the second

mookydo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Just admit you are ignorant on what is truly fast on the road course, if you have actually been to a track with turns more than a hand full of times to mash it in the straights and park it in the corners,you would not have made those asinine comments.

A decent shoe in a boxter would likely be all up your ass in a GT500, making you question your sexuality by the second
glthe li

Guilty as charged!

I know essentially nothing about road racing, road courses, track days there, etc. I also really don't care about Boxsters, Caymans and Miatas(YUK).

I will likely purchase a GT350 because it is a 10 in the looks department, has over 500HP, and is new. I could honestly care less what this thing would do at the "Ring", Watkins Glen or the like.

I'll throw on some stickies and take mine to the local drag strip and let my knuckles drag till they are bloody. LOL.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
gl

Track days, public unveilings, etc. are nice. What this car needs is some stellar reviews in the auto press and whether the the corner carvers like it not some good acceleration metrics. This is still a Ford Mustang and that smacks MUSCLE CAR all day long. Good acceleration numbers equates to balls, better the numbers, more balls. This is what 99.99% of the Mustang performance community is most interested in. How fast a Mustang goes around Laguna Seca or where ever is way down the list and pretty much academic for the muscle car, meat eaters of the world. For 60 grand or more this car needs to rip a good 1/4 mile deep in the 11s or most of us won't be buying. A C7 Corvette can rip up a road course and run mid 11s for the same money with available discounting. That is reality.
gl
I certainly appreciate you speaking of behalf of the complete Mustang performance community with respect to .01% of us avid and in many cases long time Mustang owners not concerned with what our cars can do on a road course or auto cross event.

I also appreciate your use of the term Muscle Car when referring to the Mustang. That is quite humorous especially when the term originated back in the 60's and neither the Mustang or the Corvette were considered Muscle Cars back then let alone in todays arena.

We always have lots to learn so please let us know which Corvette model can be purchased for 60K and runs in the mid 11's?

BTW, you do know that a group of C6 and C7 owners have filed a class action suit against General Motors suing them over defective engines. With that issue looming Chevrolet hardly has any choice but to discount these automobiles.

Lastly, if you think that your comments represent 99.99% of the way that us Mustang owners feel about our Pony car with respect to acceleration/handling I suggest that you are very delusional.
:cheers:

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
gl

Track days, public unveilings, etc. are nice. What this car needs is some stellar reviews in the auto press and whether the the corner carvers like it not some good acceleration metrics. This is still a Ford Mustang and that smacks MUSCLE CAR all day long. Good acceleration numbers equates to balls, better the numbers, more balls. This is what 99.99% of the Mustang performance community is most interested in. How fast a Mustang goes around Laguna Seca or where ever is way down the list and pretty much academic for the muscle car, meat eaters of the world. For 60 grand or more this car needs to rip a good 1/4 mile deep in the 11s or most of us won't be buying. A C7 Corvette can rip up a road course and run mid 11s for the same money with available discounting. That is reality.
gl
LMAO....this has got to be some of the dumbest stuff I have ever seen posted here. In particular, the underlined part.

I just don't know what to say without being rude. So I won't.
Sponsored