Relay Ratcheting

NicksGTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost
Every time I open the driver's door on my 2019 EB, I hear a ratceting sound from the engine bay. I am assuming this is a relay rapidly opening and closing but have never experienced this sound on any other vehicle? My mustang was purchased used @ 20k and this sound has persisted since purchase.
Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
When you open your door, the fuel pump primes, and other stuff happens. Completely normal noises.

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
Low pressure fuel pump in the gas tank

Don

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thanks Cobra Jet! This my first DI car so everything said in this thread ^ makes a lot of sense.
No problem, glad it helped to explain things a little more, as a few of us had the same sounds/concerns and the linked thread enlightened us too.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Thanks Cobra Jet! This my first DI car so everything said in this thread ^ makes a lot of sense.
I’m Im pretty sure every Ford I’ve had going back to 80s models has done this fuel prime thing. I associate it with Fords.

OP
OP

NicksGTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost
I’m Im pretty sure every Ford I’ve had going back to 80s models has done this fuel prime thing. I associate it with Fords.
No, not like this. I've installed fuel pumps from fox bodies with a return system to SN95's 2 & 4V non return and have never heard anything like this. Maybe a whine from the rear of the car when the ignition is turned on, but nothing more.
Sponsored