Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
  • Banned
Just got my GT 350 R HOME from the detailer today. Full PPF coverage and ceramic coating crystal serum by gtechniq. So far I am very happy. Drove great today and already got 5-6 compliments.

I know this has been discussed on this forum already several times, but since this is my first experience with the R, I am wondering what tires other members are running on their GT 350 R in replace of the stock pilot cup 2's. I will only get to drive the R until the end of October, then the weather turns up here in maine. The other question I have is if you are driving the R and it starts raining, how bad are they in the rain ? The other thing is this car will not see the track this year, but it will next year. It is not my daily driver. And are many people just sticking with the stock tires until it's time to replace them and then changing them or are they changing them right away ?

Next question I have is the carbon fiber wheels. At $ 4,000.00 to $ 6,000.00 per wheel I am seriously considering buying another set of wheels for everyday use to save the carbon fiber wheels. If I decide to get another set of wheels I am curious as to what type of wheels other R owners are using.

Has anybody had to deal with damaged, broken, or badly scratched carbon fiber wheels on the R ?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in the same boat, minus the putting the R away.

What I’m looking to do is run the 305 in the front and I’ve been seeing people either up the rear to 325 or they are going 305 all around. But I’m fairly new as well, so still open to suggestions. Looking to possibly run PS4S, but still looking at options, as I only have 300 miles on the R so far.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
  • Banned
I’m in the same boat, minus the putting the R away.

What I’m looking to do is run the 305 in the front and I’ve been seeing people either up the rear to 325 or they are going 305 all around. But I’m fairly new as well, so still open to suggestions. Looking to possibly run PS4S, but still looking at options, as I only have 300 miles on the R so far.
I have 250 miles on mine. The more I think about it, the more I think the smart thing to do is have another set of wheels and tires.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I use Cup2 on the stock CF wheels for the track.
I picked up a set of Signature Wheels SV501 in stock R sizes and run 305 Michelin Pilot SuperSports all around for street (and wet track).

The Cup2 tires can handle wet pavement fine, but they don't like puddles, even when new, and hydroplane easily. I found myself having to get off the road in heavy rain before I put more street-friendly tires on. In the Midwest, you just can't predict when a nice day will stay sunny, so it having more rain-friendly tires helps me actually drive the car with less worry.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Totally agree. I’ll be looking to have a second set for normal driving. CF wheels for events and shows (if done)

Sponsored

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I use Cup2 on the stock CF wheels for the track.
I picked up a set of Signature Wheels SV501 in stock R sizes and run 305 Michelin Pilot SuperSports all around for street (and wet track).

The Cup2 tires can handle wet pavement fine, but they don't like puddles, even when new, and hydroplane easily. I found myself having to get off the road in heavy rain before I put more street-friendly tires on. In the Midwest, you just can't predict when a nice day will stay sunny, so it having more rain-friendly tires helps me actually drive the car with less worry.
Thank you very much. I was seriously thinking about " signature wheels". They seem like a good choice. Any reason why you did not stagger your second set of tires ?

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR

Wizo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R; 2019 Raptor; 2018 GX470
Same boat. I didn’t buy new wheels as I realized that part of the reason I got the R was for the wheels.

I decided to get Michelin’s 4s tires and it is night and day in rain. I also went 325 in the rear and like the wider tire. You will have some poke but I also have a Raptor so I am used to that look.

If you are buying new wheels just sell the carbon fiber ones. What the use/need of keeping them in the garage...some one will buy what you car looks like with new wheels and they won’t pay much more for two sets. Trust me I have done that route and it never works - so just go with what you have with the new tires or sell the stocks and go signature

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Thank you very much. I was seriously thinking about " signature wheels". They seem like a good choice. Any reason why you did not stagger your second set of tires ?
Yes, mostly because there aren't a lot of 315/30 options. I wanted to retain stock outer diameter (maintain the gearing advantage of the R over the base car), and I don't like the square-shouldered "poke" look that 325s tend to give. The 305 Michelins can fit rims widths between 10.5-12", so they work just fine on the rear of the R and have about the same stretch as the Cup2 315s (because the street tires have a more square section profile overall).

Here is the car on the SV501
48657143326_e7f22baf8d_k.jpg

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Same boat. I didn’t buy new wheels as I realized that part of the reason I got the R was for the wheels.

I decided to get Michelin’s 4s tires and it is night and day in rain. I also went 325 in the rear and like the wider tire. You will have some poke but I also have a Raptor so I am used to that look.

If you are buying new wheels just sell the carbon fiber ones. What the use/need of keeping them in the garage...some one will buy what you car looks like with new wheels and they won’t pay much more for two sets. Trust me I have done that route and it never works - so just go with what you have with the new tires or sell the stocks and go signature
Thank you. I am thinking about the Michelin 4s tires as well. And I like the idea of 325's in the rear.

Sponsored
OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Yes, mostly because there aren't a lot of 315/30 options. I wanted to retain stock outer diameter (maintain the gearing advantage of the R over the base car), and I don't like the square-shouldered "poke" look that 325s tend to give. The 305 Michelins can fit rims widths between 10.5-12", so they work just fine on the rear of the R and have about the same stretch as the Cup2 315s (because the street tires have a more square section profile overall).

Here is the car on the SV501
48657143326_e7f22baf8d_k.jpg
Thank You. I love the lightning blue. Your GT 350 R looks awesome ! I also like the signature wheels. I think I will probably go that route. Thank you for the explanation on the tire size. Makes sense !

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Usually squared setups are so that you can rotate wheels at the track and get more even wear and longer life from your track tires.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Usually squared setups are so that you can rotate wheels at the track and get more even wear and longer life from your track tires.
Thank you.

So are you running different tires than what came with your GT 350 R on the street and on the track ? And if you are , is the grip as good with the evenly squared tires as opposed to running the staggered set up with the stock PS2'S ?

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Thank you.

So are you running different tires than what came with your GT 350 R on the street and on the track ? And if you are , is the grip as good with the evenly squared tires as opposed to running the staggered set up with the stock PS2'S ?
For track use I'm running Pirelli P Zero racing slicks in a squared setup on Signature wheels with 25mm spacers. The stock Sport Cup 2's are terrific track tires as well, though they probably won't last as long on a track as an R-compound or comparable slick. For street use I'm running 305/30/19 MIchelin Pilot Sport 4's, as they don't tramline like the Sport Cup 2's do.
Virtually all high-performance street cars run stock staggered setups so that they understeer by default, which makes for a safer car on the street for folks who don't have any training in high-performance driving. I don't think it will make much difference in grip level going from staggered to squared, but it may change the handling dynamics of the car depending on what kind of car it is (rwd/fwd/awd, mid-engine, etc.)
Camber is a significant consideration as you progress to grippier tires. If you don't have much seat time, I suggest you drive the stock tires until they cord. Then, get a set of cheap squared setup track wheels and run some 200-treadwear cheap tires. Max out front camber as much as you can. Get some right-seat instruction with NASA, PCA, BMW Club, or other organization that has certified instructors (Motorsport Safety Foundation.) Or, if your budget allows, hire a private coach.
When you can consistently drive your car at or near the limit and your lap times are consistently within 1/2 second of each other, then I suggest you upgrade to a more aggressive tire. Right now, the best investment you can make is spending your money on becoming a better driver.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
For track use I'm running Pirelli P Zero racing slicks in a squared setup on Signature wheels with 25mm spacers. The stock Sport Cup 2's are terrific track tires as well, though they probably won't last as long on a track as an R-compound or comparable slick. For street use I'm running 305/30/19 MIchelin Pilot Sport 4's, as they don't tramline like the Sport Cup 2's do.
Virtually all high-performance street cars run stock staggered setups so that they understeer by default, which makes for a safer car on the street for folks who don't have any training in high-performance driving. I don't think it will make much difference in grip level going from staggered to squared, but it may change the handling dynamics of the car depending on what kind of car it is (rwd/fwd/awd, mid-engine, etc.)
Camber is a significant consideration as you progress to grippier tires. If you don't have much seat time, I suggest you drive the stock tires until they cord. Then, get a set of cheap squared setup track wheels and run some 200-treadwear cheap tires. Max out front camber as much as you can. Get some right-seat instruction with NASA, PCA, BMW Club, or other organization that has certified instructors (Motorsport Safety Foundation.) Or, if your budget allows, hire a private coach.
When you can consistently drive your car at or near the limit and your lap times are consistently within 1/2 second of each other, then I suggest you upgrade to a more aggressive tire. Right now, the best investment you can make is spending your money on becoming a better driver.
Thank you. Great info !

Are you getting more mileage out of the pilot sport 4's for street driving ? And if I went with pilot sport 4's for street driving and got a squared set up, how does the handling compare to the cup 2's on the street with the same tire size the front and rear ?
Sponsored