Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Besides the forum rule against inter-model bashing, what's your consistent gripe on the EB? It's to a point where you regularly bring it up even on threads that has nothing to do with EBs. Did you have a series of EBs that went Ecoboom on you? Did someone driving an EB killed your family member?

So tell me about this "score"? Did V6s sell better than EBs? Are there more V6s on the road than EBs? Are there more record holders for V6s? Are there better aftermarket support for V6s? Did Ford kill off V6s because it was in a such a high demand and they don't like to make a profit?

Don't get me wrong, V6 is a solid engine and I feel that it was shafted by both Ford and aftermarket community but with similar pricing and performance figures, it made sense for Ford to stick with the EB that has a better positive impact on their CAFE figures.
Ok, I’ll bite and answer as you deserve that much. When I came to this community I found the V6 segment beaten down into undeserved submission. I will admit that I belittled both the 4 and 6 cylinder guys back in the day when I drove a V8 so I get it. So I didn’t think it was intermodal bashing when the V6 was always left out of discussions and decided to get that car into those discussions with a bit of chest thumping. The V6 has a stellar reliability rating that nobody seems to talk about - but I will because it is a legitimate purchasing decision.

Here is a perfect example of V6 second class status: How come no mention in the top banner of the main forum page:

2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com

See what I mean...
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Have they dropped the base GT in Canada for the 2018 model year? That's sort of shooting themselves in the foot. Man, why do they always do silly things like that?

But, it sort of explains why I had to special order mine. We could not find a Base GT on any lot in blue in Western Canada. Closest one at the time was in Winnipeg and it had Recaro's which I didn't want. Higher markup on the Premiums and you know Canada is all about squeezing every nickel out of it's citizens. :doh:

I had seriously considered getting a V6 myself and with the savings over the V8, I had planned to "option up" my 6 and make it a loaded V6. Then I learned there are NO options on the V6. It's one flavour. Pick your color, pick your transmission, two choices of wheels and get out. I did not like that idea.

The base GT is back in 2018. I saw a grand total of 2 so far but optioned to 45,000. Now most GTs are about 27,000 over the 30,000 list on my V6. Too much for 2 extra cylinders for me.

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
The V6 is no longer in production and hasn't been for a while now. What little relevancy it has left will continue to fade day by day.

I am glad that the V6 existed though and that so many people are happy with them.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The V6 is no longer in production and hasn't been for a while now. What little relevancy it has left will continue to fade day by day.

I am glad that the V6 existed though and that so many people are happy with them.

Yup it has been a whole couple of months since last produced... Not good enough of a reason to be forgotten at mustang6g.com. I ask again: Why is there no mention of the V6 on the top forum banner?

2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com

Even in its last year V6 sales were 20% of the total. That’s more than the Mach1 or GT500 for sure. What do the forum moderators or administrators have to say about our exclusion in the banner that may also affect google searches and so on? You can ban me for bitching about the forum layout (my life will go on) but it does speak to the supposed neutrality for the inter-model community.

And you other V6 guys have to get involved as it can’t be just me.

V6 FOREVER!!!! V6! V6! V6!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D24112

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
So tell me about this "score"? .
Well you get a 300HP NA car for 24K OTD. The aftermarket my not support the V6 as much as other models but that's ok because all of the important stuff can be had from the same parts you can get for the EB or the GT. Take the Ford Performance Pack suspension for example. Its listed as only available for the EB and GT but it fits and functions just fine on the V6.
I took a bone stock V6 and did a full catback Borla exhaust, Ford PP street suspension, GT wheels and brakes, 3.55 rear, CAI and a tune all for about 4K and never touched a wrench at least for the heavy stuff. A whole lot faster, more comfortable and handles much better than my 2000 GT. To me that's a score.

I think Ford killed it because the profit margin vs the other models didn't justify the 3rd drive line.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
If you are happy with your V6 (I am) then great. If you are happy with your EB (my GF is) then great. If you are happy with your GT - then great.

The V6 Mustang was killed because of profit margins and CAFE (Fuel efficiency / Emissions standards) - pure and simple. Auto manufacturers can have the greatest engineers and R&D people in the world - all their ideas STILL have to be approved / modified by the bean counters. Every car company is like that. The less available engine / transmission combinations a car platform has - the less the company spends on maintaining / updating each line.

Hell, you should see all the crap people got for buying F150's with the EB V6 when it first came out. People are people. That's never changed.

Someone mentioned people mentioning EB bashing in this thread. If you think EB's get bashed, every pony car / muscle car model that ever offered a 6 cylinder (there are plenty) was constantly bashed. Most commonly, "You bought a V6 because you couldn't afford a V8."

That happens here even a good bit. Don't let it bother you.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Someone mentioned people mentioning EB bashing in this thread. If you think EB's get bashed, every pony car / muscle car model that ever offered a 6 cylinder (there are plenty) was constantly bashed. Most commonly, "You bought a V6 because you couldn't afford a V8."

That happens here even a good bit. Don't let it bother you.
As for "You bought a V6 because you couldn't afford a V8." guys, I refer them as the "5.0-brahs". They don't realize that just because they had to stretch their finances get a GT because GTs are expansive to them, it doesn't magically turn a Mustang GT, a mass-produced pony car, into a status symbol. Maybe to them, but not to the rest of the world. Fortunately, most of the GT owners here are great. Take [MENTION=10616]Terminated[/MENTION] or [MENTION=29826]BlownOne[/MENTION] as examples. One has a far-out build with engine bay so detailed and clean, that it needs to be in car shows (this car has a SC, so it's probably fast, but its engine bay just stands out so much). Other has a 9-second beast, a legit street car that's capable of going to the strip after driving through a rain shower. Do you see them bashing V6s or EBs to prove themselves? No, because their builds speak for themselves, unlike broke-ass 5.0-brahs.

I fully understand that V6 gets bashed like the EB, but what I'm trying to understand is what's Fatguys gripe with EBs. Whenever there's "Should I get a V6 or EB?" type of question, he goes on full offensive on EB rather than listing the merits of V6. Examples:

1. Ecoboom: Since there are more EBs sold, more EB owners actively posting on the forums, and more EBs having serious power mods, why does it surprise you that there are more postings about EB failures? I have yet to have anyone tell me the number of EB failures, particularly stock ones, compared to total number of EBs sold. Because some random guy posts that he had an Ecoboom 10 times doesn't mean 10 instances of failures. Can you imagine if this was a class action lawsuit and you tell the judge/jury that your evidence is just a bunch of forum postings?

2. Octane: Weak argument as to why would you buy a Mustang just to cripple it with cheap gas? Even n/a 5.0 folks make nice gains with E85 and tune, so there's a merit to running high octane fuel if you're tuned for it. YMMV, but where I live, premium gas is about 45 cents higher per gallon than regular. I use about 10 gallons a week, so the price difference vs regular is only $4.50 a week. That turns out to be $234 a year, or $19.50 per month. If your budget's so tight that around $20 will break it, you'll be better off going with an n/a Focus or Fiesta and wait until finances improve to get a Mustang.

3. Forced Induction: If adding FI to n/a is cheap and easy, why aren't there more V6s running around with them? Do you realize that it's much harder to add FI to an n/a engine than doing a pulley or turbo swap on one that came with SC or turbo from the factory? You can get a stock frame turbo upgrade for EB for around $2K and do the swap in less than 2 hours, around 1 hour if you've swapped turbos before. Can you say the same for adding FI to an n/a car? Yes, if going all out, V6 should make more power than I4 on merits of displacement alone, but if absolute HP gain is your goal, why not start with a GT or GT350 since they have higher displacement engines?

V6s are fantastic as it is a proven, mature engine that makes more power stock than V8 Mustangs I had in the past. I wanted to try something different for my 4th Mustang but ended up not picking V6, not because the engine sucks, but because Ford opted to shaft it by not having premium or PP options for it, and lack of robust aftermarket (power mods wise) support for it.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha.

I personally am not a fan of turbocharged 4 cylinders. Personal preference. Actually not much of a turbo person. Owning / wrenching on 80's Buick 3.8 turbo cars will do that... :D

While there isn't a ton of aftermarket 3.7 performance support - there is a lot when compared with other makes 6 cylinder models...I've been there.

I might be looking to go FI on my 3.7 sometime late this year / early next year. All depends. If I do - I'll go the Procharger route. I do all my own labor, so that cuts costs dramatically. I plan on keeping this car as my daily for a long while. Odds are if the 3.7 ever goes South - I'll just daily my truck while I hunt down a wrecked S550 GT and swap the drivetrain in. Swapping the entire harness and K member / drive train over isn't rocket science.

Prices on wrecked S550 GT cars are steadily coming down. I guarantee I could part out what I don't use and probably end up $3-4K in - not counting my labor - which is free :D

I like making my daily suit ME. At this point, even after all I've done to my car in the 6 months I've had it - I'm still in for about $5K LESS than the cheapest new '17 base GT I could find when I bought my V6.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
As for "You bought a V6 because you couldn't afford a V8." guys, I refer them as the "5.0-brahs". They don't realize that just because they had to stretch their finances get a GT because GTs are expansive to them, it doesn't magically turn a Mustang GT, a mass-produced pony car, into a status symbol. Maybe to them, but not to the rest of the world. Fortunately, most of the GT owners here are great. Take [MENTION=10616]Terminated[/MENTION] or [MENTION=29826]BlownOne[/MENTION] as examples. One has a far-out build with engine bay so detailed and clean, that it needs to be in car shows (this car has a SC, so it's probably fast, but its engine bay just stands out so much). Other has a 9-second beast, a legit street car that's capable of going to the strip after driving through a rain shower. Do you see them bashing V6s or EBs to prove themselves? No, because their builds speak for themselves, unlike broke-ass 5.0-brahs.

I fully understand that V6 gets bashed like the EB, but what I'm trying to understand is what's Fatguys gripe with EBs. Whenever there's "Should I get a V6 or EB?" type of question, he goes on full offensive on EB rather than listing the merits of V6. Examples:

1. Ecoboom: Since there are more EBs sold, more EB owners actively posting on the forums, and more EBs having serious power mods, why does it surprise you that there are more postings about EB failures? I have yet to have anyone tell me the number of EB failures, particularly stock ones, compared to total number of EBs sold. Because some random guy posts that he had an Ecoboom 10 times doesn't mean 10 instances of failures. Can you imagine if this was a class action lawsuit and you tell the judge/jury that your evidence is just a bunch of forum postings?

2. Octane: Weak argument as to why would you buy a Mustang just to cripple it with cheap gas? Even n/a 5.0 folks make nice gains with E85 and tune, so there's a merit to running high octane fuel if you're tuned for it. YMMV, but where I live, premium gas is about 45 cents higher per gallon than regular. I use about 10 gallons a week, so the price difference vs regular is only $4.50 a week. That turns out to be $234 a year, or $19.50 per month. If your budget's so tight that around $20 will break it, you'll be better off going with an n/a Focus or Fiesta and wait until finances improve to get a Mustang.

3. Forced Induction: If adding FI to n/a is cheap and easy, why aren't there more V6s running around with them? Do you realize that it's much harder to add FI to an n/a engine than doing a pulley or turbo swap on one that came with SC or turbo from the factory? You can get a stock frame turbo upgrade for EB for around $2K and do the swap in less than 2 hours, around 1 hour if you've swapped turbos before. Can you say the same for adding FI to an n/a car? Yes, if going all out, V6 should make more power than I4 on merits of displacement alone, but if absolute HP gain is your goal, why not start with a GT or GT350 since they have higher displacement engines?

V6s are fantastic as it is a proven, mature engine that makes more power stock than V8 Mustangs I had in the past. I wanted to try something different for my 4th Mustang but ended up not picking V6, not because the engine sucks, but because Ford opted to shaft it by not having premium or PP options for it, and lack of robust aftermarket (power mods wise) support for it.

“I fully understand that V6 gets bashed like the EB, but what I'm trying to understand is what's Fatguys gripe with EBs. Whenever there's "Should I get a V6 or EB?" type of question, he goes on full offensive on EB rather than listing the merits of V6. Examples:”

Why (between you and me I just have a nasty personality):

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]_7VsoxT_FUY[/MEDIA]"]

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
"No longer available on the menu" so I grabbed a new one while I could.
BTW Joe B, your Blade Runner Font 3.7 1/4 panel graphic is very cool!

Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Yup. Plus handing out lowballed power and torque figures at 87 octane (actual is more like 308 and 287 torque) Lack of fog lights for no reason but Canada got them standard. It just went on and on...and everyone seemed to buy into the marketing. But I didn’t and I made the right decision.
Yes, I would agree as well. I got my V6 with the 051A pkg and love it. I will be adding leather and other interior mods when I can but I would’ve liked if I could’ve ordered the car with leather, got the upgraded stereo and display as well as the better brakes, and suspension goodies. Ford didn’t offer any of that. They didn’t because they wanted to push the EB because it’s better for their CAFE. The V6 was there for people who didn’t want the EB so they could get as many total sold as possible. The EB is nice, don’t get me wrong. I just feel the V6 sounds better and the fuel economy is pretty good as well. Much better than my old Fox V8 ever had and has more hp as well as is better in every way than the earlier Mustangs of every generation .
83F18391-ABC6-4037-9876-22B0F0B7B1E2.jpeg

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
Yup it has been a whole couple of months since last produced... Not good enough of a reason to be forgotten at mustang6g.com. I ask again: Why is there no mention of the V6 on the top forum banner?
Again, the V6 Mustang is a legacy product now. It is no longer produced, and will not return any time in the near future, if ever. Ford doesn't spend a single second out of their day thinking about the V6 Mustang anymore. It is essentially irrelevant at this point.

As for this forum, you are mistaken if you believe M6G doesn't care about the V6. But don't worry, I'll take care of you.
Click the link below:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Davez17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Lightning Blue

Bull Run,

After over 25 years of owning Mustangs, I always wanted a hi-performance mustang. Now, I have owned all sorts of them from 2.3L foxbodys, to a 1970 Fastback 351C, 11 sec mustang. Even a few 6 cyl first gen ponys. I love them all!

Now, just because I stretched myself to get my GT, why does that make me a guy who should be driving a focus? Where I live it is $0.60/$.80 gallon for premium. So in a year for me that is $624.00 min. (Same price as a new set of tires) I use about 20-30 gallons a week. Does this mean that I don't deserve to own a GT? I don't like it when guys lower their Mustangs, does that mean I don't think that they don't deserve their Mustangs? Hell no!!!!!

The main reason the mustang has lasted so long, every body can make it personally theirs!! I love and respect them all!

My rant is done!!

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
The base GT is back in 2018. I saw a grand total of 2 so far but optioned to 45,000. Now most GTs are about 27,000 over the 30,000 list on my V6. Too much for 2 extra cylinders for me.
You're getting more than just 2 more cyl...

In 2006 my wife got a yellow Mustang Pony edition with the V6. She loved it and I liked driving it as well. I honestly think the V6 averages better mileage than the ecoboost considering how crappy her Fusion with the 2.0 does, great car but around town of 20 to 22 sucks. My Mustang does better and I'd lay odds the V6 does as well but CAFE numbers are what they go by so bye bye V6. :crazy:

OP
OP
D24112

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
Kids, this thread wasn't started to start a pissing contest. Matter of fact it was originally posted in the V6 section and was moved here by a mod who didn't believe I bolted the tag on.You know "Discussions of the 3.7L V6 Engine and engine/exhaust/bolt-on modifications." In the words of a guy who really got his ass kicked "Can't we all get along?"
Sponsored