Sponsored

New member plus AT vs Manual for Ecoboom

Ecoboobs

RAINF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP (Poverty Pack) 2.3T A/T
Hey guys. Happy to be here on this awesome forum been lurking for a couple of months until I took delivery of my 2017 2.3T a couple of weeks ago.

Have owned a lot of performance based cars over the years from Cordia/Starion turbos, Supras, Vr4, and 300zx to name a few. Yes I am a gen X old bastard. Always been a turbo dude. Must say I'm very impressed in regards to the ecoboost platform for the value you actually get for handling/brakes/engine and options.

I have put the Magnaflow street catback Exhaust on mine (wish it was louder - downpipe next) and I have a Mishi intercooler to go on next week (yes there are better options but I am in Oz where options suck). Got a drop in panel K&N filter and I also have a Cobb AP sitting here ready to go too.

Doing a bit of research over the whole ecoboom issue. My first question is does anyone know of any AT ecoboost mustangs blowing up? They seam to be mostly manual transmission equipped cars if I'm not mistaken? I ask this as I think it would be a lot harder to induce LSPI in an auto due to kickdown.

Cheers
Ecoboob Perth, Australia.:cheers:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Congratulations on your new Mustang and welcome to the Turbo club.

There have been some tuned auto failures but it is my understanding that most 80-90% or more have been tuned manual. Since there are far less manuals produced each year that suggests that a manual is a contributing factor. LSPI

OP
OP
Ecoboobs

Ecoboobs

RAINF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's interesting to know. Much appreciated.

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost
Oh shit, so my MT is in the EcoBoom territory?? oh oh
Stage 1 93 map may not be recommended then?? argh.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Oh shit, so my MT is in the EcoBoom territory?? oh oh
Stage 1 93 map may not be recommended then?? argh.
All this stuff gets blown out of proportion. Don't be scared to get a tune on a manual car. Also, don't be scared to use 6th gear on the highway. Both are fine. But just be careful and use common sense. Don't gun it in 6th gear at 2k rpm or less. 6th gear in this car was never made for that. 1-5 was, but 6th is a cruising gear.

Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
All this stuff gets blown out of proportion. Don't be scared to get a tune on a manual car. Also, don't be scared to use 6th gear on the highway. Both are fine. But just be careful and use common sense. Don't gun it in 6th gear at 2k rpm or less. 6th gear in this car was never made for that. 1-5 was, but 6th is a cruising gear.
Why does the user manual suggest shifting into 6th at 50 mph on a base model? That's only 1500 rpm lol. I don't think a single ecoboost on this forum failed from LSPI. All of them are also Spain build engines, no Cleveland's yet (sure there will be one at some point if enough power is pushed).

Ite all related to tuning and likely for fatigue from pushing too much power. One was a factory defect (cam bolt), rest were tuned poorly.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Why does the user manual suggest shifting into 6th at 50 mph on a base model? That's only 1500 rpm lol. I don't think a single ecoboost on this forum failed from LSPI. All of them are also Spain build engines, no Cleveland's yet (sure there will be one at some point if enough power is pushed).

Ite all related to tuning and likely for fatigue from pushing too much power. One was a factory defect (cam bolt), rest were tuned poorly.
Without searching, there have been a couple of Cleveland motors posted that have popped as well.

OP
OP
Ecoboobs

Ecoboobs

RAINF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I've seen a couple of 2016's on youtube where guys are saying they have blown up their engines but everyone so far has been a manual transmission. From what I've read Ford has sold a lot more A/Ts than M/Ts yet I can't find or read anything where an A/T equipped 2.3T has blown up - 2015 or otherwise. This dude below has a 2016 that blew up, M/T and had a tune. [ame="[MEDIA=youtube]uPYYYWQ1Imc[/MEDIA]"]Clicky[/ame]
I just don't get it.

Last edited:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

There were 3 confirmed tuned Cleveland failures at the beginning of this year so you are misinformed. You need to expand your research beyond M6G. Sorry to be the one to sprinkle cold water on you brah, you seem like a very intelligent member of the forum.

Also, not all were caused by a tune. One member was missing his dipstick and had no oil in the engine when it blew up. Another blew after meth injection installation so there are a few that failed due to backyard engineering gone wrong.

Last edited:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've seen a couple of 2016's on youtube where guys are saying they have blown up their engines but everyone so far has been a manual transmission. From what I've read Ford has sold a lot more A/Ts than M/Ts yet I can't find or read anything where an A/T equipped 2.3T has blown up - 2015 or otherwise. This dude below has a 2016 that blew up, M/T and had a tune. Clicky
I just don't get it.
There was an Auto that blew this year on M6G, I don't think he gave us the build plant though. @Woodshop77 , are you Auto and which engine did you have? Cleveland or Valencia?

I fine it extremely unlikely that only manuals are poorly tuned or have engine defects.It is statistically improbable.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ecoboobs

Ecoboobs

RAINF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There was an Auto that blew this year on M6G, I don't think he gave us the build plant though. @Woodshop77 , are you Auto and which engine did you have? Cleveland or Valencia?

I fine it extremely unlikely that only manuals are poorly tuned or have engine detects.It is statistically improbable.
Just searched and member PJB was an A/T 2016 EB so that's 1 confirmed.

OP
OP
Ecoboobs

Ecoboobs

RAINF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cleveland, Auto, FBO and NOT a bad tune....
Thanks for chiming in mate. Just curious if you can remember when she blew:
  • ambient temp
  • throttle position/load
  • fuel type
  • A/T gear selection

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for chiming in mate. Just curious if you can remember when she blew:
  • ambient temp
  • throttle position/load
  • fuel type
  • A/T gear selection
He had just filled up with gas as did another failure, perhaps PJB? Some of us believe a low octane event such as bad gas plus the presence of an aggressive tune may be contributing to at least some failures. This would also explain why more manuals blow up than Auto due to lugging the engine iinstead of downshifting IMO

Last edited:

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
You can find all that info in past threads, I'm not inputting more because it leads to name calling, speculation and crap talking on this website and there is no definitive proof of one thing or another...I'm over it...

Maggneto - See? 40 miles past fill up

Witchhunting
Sponsored