MustangS550

MustangS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
'15 Vert GT
it's like a speed bump in the middle of the sentence. I have to stop, go back, figure out what the writer *meant*, rather than what they *said*, and then try to continue on. Very frustrating.
Yes! No more speed bumps, please!

We are not spelling "Nazis." We just hate speed bumps! On the road and on this forum :D

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Pittsburgh people know this. Youns = all of you.
Here's some from the old women in my family. Run the words together.
upair = up there
meister = my sister
jeet = did you eat

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
There are many different levels of information we communicate to others, knowingly and unknowingly. Call it subtext.
That's what I chalk it up to. There are so many different ways to describe the same thing these days that at some point I decided to just accept that people will communicate differently, and since I don't make a living as an English teacher I shouldn't get riled over it.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Payed instead of paid has irritated me for years. "I got payed today." or "I payed $50 for that." It's paid, you moron. PAID.

Sale instead of sell seems to be popping up more and more. "I want to sale my car." It's like fingernails on a chalkboard when I see this.

OracleHCR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Otis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP1, Mag, AE
That's what I chalk it up to. There are so many different ways to describe the same thing these days that at some point I decided to just accept that people will communicate differently, and since I don't make a living as an English teacher I shouldn't get riled over it.
No. That right there is the dumbing down of society. Too many people are ok with it and that is a problem. Our country is well on the way to being just like the society in the movie "Idiocracy".

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Im glad all yall "liberal elitists" care so muich about grammmer.

Maybe we shouuld stattion troopss in every classrooom.

Save the world!!!!

Sponsored

OracleHCR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Otis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP1, Mag, AE

Save the world!!!!
Thanks for making my point.
Liberal elitist?:lol:

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

Save the world!!!!
No, a Liberal Elitist would blame this on oppression, your history or some other thing that you cannot control. You are a victim to a "Liberal Elitist". A conservative would say that you are responsible for your own grammar, so if you cannot spell then look in the mirror and face the dumb-ass that did not pay enough attention in the third grade. :paddle:

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I want to know why I can only thank this once????

Seriously, I have no problem with misspellings and typos - they happen to everyone from time to time.

But these aren't examples of that. These are examples of using a word that means something completely different, because it *sounds* the same when you say it out loud.

I realize that it's probably a "me problem", but reading thread after thread about "Squealing Breaks" makes my freaking eye twitch. My problem is that I don't sound out words as I read. My brain recognizes most common words, and I just see them and know what they mean. When a homophone is used incorrectly, it's like a speed bump in the middle of the sentence. I have to stop, go back, figure out what the writer *meant*, rather than what they *said*, and then try to continue on. Very frustrating.

It would seem that in a medium like this, where the written word is the only available method of communication, that people would *want* to strive to communicate as clearly as possible. No?
:lol: I have this same reaction. It has been a large number of times that I have read a post and tried to figure out what was broken only to reread and find out it was their brakes that they were referring to.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
No, a Liberal Elitist would blame this on oppression, your history or some other thing that you cannot control. You are a victim to a "Liberal Elitist". A conservative would say that you are responsible for your own grammar, so if you cannot spell then look in the mirror and face the dumb-ass that did not pay enough attention in the third grade. :paddle:
:clap2: Well said! It's always someone else's fault.
Sponsored