Sponsored

Wrench light!?!?

GTbryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Bought my 2016 mustang gt about 2 weeks ago only has 540 miles. Today I was driving and a see manual warning popped up with a wrench icon. It continued to pop up and go away for the duration of the trip. Anyone have an idea on this? I do have a MBRP cat back installed but I don't see how that could effect anything. Also probably unrelated but my low fuel light came on with the gauge reading right around quarter of a tank... Is this normal? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Can't know for sure until you get any problem codes read at the dealer, keep us informed.

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
My low fuel comes on at 1/4 tank. I too have MBRP exhaust and no problems.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GTbryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Have an appt friday with the dealership. The wrench icon hasn't come back yet so hopefully it was just some electrical gremlin.

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Question did this happen while being in rain? I have had this happen to me twice snd both after heavy rain storms.

OP
OP

GTbryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Wasn't heavy rain although the roads were wet from earlier rain.

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
The wrench is generally "limp mode" the car shutting down systems to prevent it from doing further damage.

Common things are stuck throttle bodies, over heating transmission and PCM miscommunications.

It sounds like you didnt have any loss of power or stuttering. Might be a throttle body issue that when you called for a little bit of power the system detected a delay or something that was outside of an allowable parameter set by the ford engineers. Thus, the wrench light.

you should have codes stored in your car. If you hold the start button and the "OK" button your steering where before starting the car for a few a second you go into "ET" mode. Scroll till you see "DTC".

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
My low fuel comes on at 1/4 tank. I too have MBRP exhaust and no problems.
The low fuel light comes on when the computer calculates 50 miles left on the tank. It's a 16 gallon tank, so if you're getting 12.5 mpg, which isn't unreasonably low if you do a lot of city driving and are aggressive off the line, the light will come on with 1/4 tank.

Sponsored
OP
OP

GTbryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
The wrench is generally "limp mode" the car shutting down systems to prevent it from doing further damage.

Common things are stuck throttle bodies, over heating transmission and PCM miscommunications.

It sounds like you didnt have any loss of power or stuttering. Might be a throttle body issue that when you called for a little bit of power the system detected a delay or something that was outside of an allowable parameter set by the ford engineers. Thus, the wrench light.

you should have codes stored in your car. If you hold the start button and the "OK" button your steering where before starting the car for a few a second you go into "ET" mode. Scroll till you see "DTC".
Thank you!!!! Put it into ET mode it had no DTC codes in the current or history. Hoping that's a good thing.

OP
OP

GTbryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
So dealer found a code, loss of signal from transmission output shaft. Hasn't tripped the wrench light since monday. The technician sent the info to ford as this is not a common problem. Probably just going to monitor has it could have just been interference to the sensor reading then again ford might decide to replace sensor.

OP
OP

GTbryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Wrench light back on.... FML. Merging on to the road way shift to second, go into third and there is a stutter in power or the rpms hung don't know but it made for a crappy shift, then look at the screen yep wrench light see owners manual. Doesn't have any trouble codes showing on the ET mode. Wrench cleared upon restarting. Last code they found was loss of signal to trans output shaft sensor.

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
Wrench light back on.... FML. Merging on to the road way shift to second, go into third and there is a stutter in power or the rpms hung don't know but it made for a crappy shift, then look at the screen yep wrench light see owners manual. Doesn't have any trouble codes showing on the ET mode. Wrench cleared upon restarting. Last code they found was loss of signal to trans output shaft sensor.
What was the outcome? Did you take back to the dealer a second time?

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
What was the outcome? Did you take back to the dealer a second time?
The OP hasn't posted in almost two years so I am not sure you are going to get a response.
Sponsored